IGNORED

Halo Infinite - OUT NOW - no campaign spoilers pls

Wallace

I played some more this morning, I absolutely love it - it has the same feeling as CS did back in the day where you really feel like every gun has a use, you need to play as a team and know the maps but there are plenty of pathways and not the more modern ‘funnelling’ you see.

I mean, you may be able to tell but this has the basics of being special in my humble opinion :wub:

20 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

I feel this game is particularly bad for this because all of the weapons have really low clip sizes, you basically have to reload after every kill with almost every weapon, so if you run into two enemies you just have no chance of success.

Halo used to have like, 60 round magazines that could mop up a whole squad, shotguns with 10 rounds that could kill in 1, pistols and rifles that could get a bunch of kills, where you could kind of outplay being outnumbered. Here the pistol has 12 bullets but requires what- 10 for a kill? I've had so many situations where me and another guy shred each others shields and then have this awkward standoff as we reload to finish each other off.

That might be true of the original Halo but it isn't really true of any after that is it. Certainly not Halo 5. 

Having said that with the weapons you start with can potentially get you three kills without a reload (you do have to swap weapons though). The assualt rifle (based on testing in the shooting range) will get you one kill and then almost take a complete shield down, this then means two sidekick shots will take down the 2nd leaving you with 10, of which you need to hit 7 to take down the third.

With regards to ranked it's actually much better for taking multiple people than Halo 5 as the BR has 12 3 round bursts, and it's a 4 shot kill meaning, obviously, that you can take 3 people out before a reload. The Halo 5 pistol is 5 out of 12, meaning 2 kills is the max you can get without a reload.

The BR is actually pretty overpowered if you consider that you only need to hit 33% of your shots to get a kill, as opposed to the Assualt rife with seems to be about 50% and the sidekick at 58%.

I'm out of the loop with modern day gaming. What the fuck is Premium Battle Pass? What does it do and how much is it? Why are there seasons? 

Enjoying the games I've had so far but the teams not being solid red or blue in colour is confusing me at times. 

1 hour ago, Shimmyhill said:

I played some more this morning, I absolutely love it - it has the same feeling as CS did back in the day where you really feel like every gun has a use, you need to play as a team and know the maps but there are plenty of pathways and not the more modern ‘funnelling’ you see.

I mean, you may be able to tell but this has the basics of being special in my humble opinion :wub:

The new weapons really are great. Just brilliantly designed and fun to use. Feels like they've cut down on gimmicks like dual wielding (always hated that) and made it feel like proper classic Halo.

I watched an interview with the level designers where they're answering fan questions - there's going to be no silliness like playing as Elites; the inspiration for Zeta Halo itself is Silent Cartographer; they talk about how amazing the day/night cycle  is and how Phantom ships will be patrolling at night with searchlights; also talk about how cool it is to fight Jackals at night with their glowing shields; discuss multiple approaches to tackle any situation and how you can plan your own attack - destroying vehicles before the enemies have the chance to use them etc.

It sounds like everything we wanted as a sequel to CE.

2 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Feels preeeetty good when you take out a whole team defending a control point on your own. Preeeetty good. 

Hammer ftw

I just did exactly that, and it was the third control point. Then in the middle of the silent comms a guy suddenly shouted down his mic: "TRIPLE CAP, BITCH!"

I laughed so hard I didn't mind when the game then instantly froze and exited to desktop. Which was even funnier in retrospect.

31 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

The new weapons really are great. Just brilliantly designed and fun to use. Feels like they've cut down on gimmicks like dual wielding (always hated that) and made it feel like proper classic Halo.

Dual wielding hasn’t been in Halo since 3. To be honest with the (re) addition of ability pickups in this there are more gimmicks than in H5.

Reading this thread it’s great to see people loving Halo MP again, but it’s not that much of a departure from H5 MP so you’d probably all have loved that as well.

16 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

Dual wielding hasn’t been in Halo since 3. To be honest with the (re) addition of ability pickups in this there are more gimmicks than in H5.

Reading this thread it’s great to see people loving Halo MP again, but it’s not that much of a departure from H5 MP so you’d probably all have loved that as well.

That fucking campaign put me off it for life though!

I'm liking the game but I, stupidly, bought the battle pass without checking anything (I assumed with it being Halo it would have some funky stuff but it doesn't). I've already logged 15 hours on this since release (I've been off work, don't judge me) and I'm at BP level 5 of 100. I don't think this is going to get finished.

I've seen a couple of players with the highest BP unlocks though, so there are at least a few credit card warriors out there making it worthwhile.

Have spent a few hours in training so far and not broached online, but I will. Just been enjoying finding my way around the maps and trying all the weapons out. Currently loving the pulse carbine, and laughed myself silly with the cindershot, ridiculous thing that it is.

Maybe tomorrow I'll be brave... 

2 hours ago, Azrael said:

I'm out of the loop with modern day gaming. What the fuck is Premium Battle Pass? What does it do and how much is it? Why are there seasons? 

Enjoying the games I've had so far but the teams not being solid red or blue in colour is confusing me at times. 

Seconded. What the fuck is a battle pass or season

I’m doing a lot better since I did two things 

1) changed the settings to these 

https://dotesports.com/halo/news/the-best-sensitivity-settings-in-halo-infinite

2) realised I was going to die quite a lot and my more cautious Overwatch playstyle wasn’t going to do me any favours. Going a lot more aggressive and focussing more on objectives so I can pick off people doing the same has seen me rack up my kill count. Who knows, if I keep this up I might average a positive K/D at some point. My last 5 or so matches have all seen a positive.

51 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

In CTF, sprinting with the flag reveals you to the enemy team, is that new? Very cool addition if so. So you can either peg it and be visible, or try to stealth it and get back to base without a marker over your head.

Being able to sprint with the flag is completely new. You used to have to use the flag toss method (which revealed position) to move quickly before.

Promising stuff from the Multiplayer, like others I’ve been having a blast with it. Nice and simple, nothing too overwhelming or elaborate, just get in there and go. 

Looks like 343 have actually done the “just strip it back down to its roots” part of the Breath of the Halo people were hoping for.

Roll on the campaign. Might book the day off! 

I’ve played a couple of rounds of total control today where one of the control points couldn’t be captured. It just stayed grey.

Has anyone else had this? It’s not something obvious I’m missing is it, like you have to activate it somehow?

Anyway, if it is a bug, I hope they sort it soon.

It’s a pretty big departure from Halo 5. And I say that as someone who loved 5’s multiplayer and would be hard pressed to pick a favourite between it and Infinite. 

It just keeps the basics simple and layers on complexity through equipment. It means you can either totally ignore equipment and still be competitive or slowly learn each thing piece by piece without getting left behind by a load of people with a million movement and offensive options you don’t understand available to them on spawn. 

It’s made a less exciting game in the moment to moment but one that feels much more solid and sandboxy to me. 

I really really like this. It feels like the balance is just pitch perfect.

I'm not familiar with previous Halo MP to be honest, as never played any since Halo 3... But honestly I never remember having this much fun in Halo since the Halo CE linked Xbox days.

It's just ridiculous fun.

I've played and bounced off a lot of shooters lately, but this feels like it has what the others lack.

I’m shit at it but I’m really enjoying it. I like the simplicity of it but there’s a lot of finesse there if you search it out. 

For those grandads asking what a battle pass is…

Its a way of paying a small fee (£8) per season (Approx 3 months) so you can earn cosmetic items and other in game stuff as you gain XP. You can pay a larger amount (premium) to get more stuff. That’s it. You don’t have to buy it. It’s only for those who like getting stuff and feeling a bit premium.