IGNORED

Halo Infinite - OUT NOW - no campaign spoilers pls

Wallace

I had a duos session of Fortnite with my mate last night and after that fired this up - its so bloody good and I love the fact that it looks so different without gaudy character skins, you spend ages setting your skin combo up in Fortnite as looking good is half the battle!!

Only had a few games but each one was brilliant, even went positive k/d :o but mainly just enjoyed the flow of the game and weapons - going on a killing spree feels incredible and really get the heart pumping!

Im loving this, really looking forward to the campaign now and can see that ill be playing the MP for years :) 

1 hour ago, RubberJohnny said:

There were like four extra map names in the datamine, which are presumably your season content.

• Catalyst
  • Solitude
  • Exiled
  • Wasteland

Exiled and Wasteland sound like BTB maps, the former was a Halo 4 map. The fact they're all campaign assets isn't great for visual variety though, the biggest shift is they've just set them at different times of day.

What do you mean “they’re all campaign assets”?

If that’s the case, then we’ve got plenty to look forward to in campaign, as though a few of them do look visually similar, there’s plenty of variety in there compared to the ‘mid-west look’ of the campaign you said they’re using for the whole thing.

6 minutes ago, JPL said:

What do you mean “they’re all campaign assets”?

If that’s the case, then we’ve got plenty to look forward to in campaign, as though a few of them do look visually similar, there’s plenty of variety in there compared to the ‘mid-west look’ of the campaign you said they’re using for the whole thing.

I mean the BTB maps are clearly campaign assets, not the arena maps, which are handcrafted.

The Banished AA gun in Deadlock is from the campaign snippet we saw, and the UNSC structures are probably what those Forward Operating Bases will look like, for instance.

17 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

I mean the BTB maps are clearly campaign assets, not the arena maps, which are handcrafted.

The Banished AA gun in Deadlock is from the campaign snippet we saw, and the UNSC structures are probably what those Forward Operating Bases will look like, for instance.

Ah right. Be good if we got some of the sand from Behemoth in the campaign, at least!

What about Launch Site then? I take it that was hand crafted, as it looks nothing like anything we’ve seen in campaign so far.

Which makes me wonder, if they’ve been busy hand crafting all these different maps for multiplayer, why haven’t they been doing that for campaign?

We've not played any of the campaign yet though. Yeah it might just be greenery but I can't imagine that is the case and I have absolutely no issue in not having every single location posted all over the marketing. 

Plus you absolutely need more variety in multiplayer locations than single player. If all the maps look the same it's difficult to learn them, see all the Forge maps in Halo 5, but if they're trying to build a cohesive world there doesn't necessarily need to be a lava zone etc. 

Just now, BitterToad said:

We've not played any of the campaign yet though. Yeah it might just be greenery but I can't imagine that is the case and I have absolutely no issue in not having every single location posted all over the marketing. 

I totally agree and hope they’re going to surprise us. It’s just that Rubber Johnny told me a few pages back, that’s the only environment in the campaign.

Just now, JPL said:

I totally agree and hope they’re going to surprise us. It’s just that Rubber Johnny told me a few pages back, that’s the only environment in the campaign.

I quoted the devs saying that, I think you guys are going to be disappointed if you expect more when they're being pretty clear about what's in the game.

Just now, RubberJohnny said:

I quoted the devs saying that, I think you guys are going to be disappointed if you expect more when they're being pretty clear about what's in the game.

I know you mentioned the devs saying it. Can you remember where you read that? I’d like to temper my expectations if it’s true.

I can find this about the environments:

the developers stated that while the majority of the game's world is themed around the Pacific Northwest, there will be PNW-themed sub-biomes in the environment. Examples of these will include marshy swamps, mountainous highlands, and war-torn "deadlands" devastated by previous battles. Players will also be able to explore caves and caverns in the environment, and can also find Banished bases, UNSC Marine holdouts, Forerunner structures, and other points of interest. It sounds like there will even be sections of the maps where part of the Halo ring is exposed to space and you can push enemies off of it into the void, which is sure to be hilarious.

1 hour ago, RubberJohnny said:

They've certainly got bits and pieces of campaign assets in them, but every Big Team Battle map they've ever created has had various assets from the campaign in it.

BTB maps are about the routes and flow. 

43 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Yeah, and that's basically what we've seen right? Mountains, forests, etc. Forerunner spire, Banished base, UNSC FOB, mission in interiors.

You can see a bit of the "deadlands" bare Halo look in the bit where they Rendezook the Banshee. I'm just saying, don't expect deserts or tundra.

Well as long as they’ve got everything in this trailer covered, I think I’ll be pretty happy.

2 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

I mean the devs are saying they haven't, I don't know how to make this clearer.

But that all looks ‘Pacific North West’, doesn’t it?

I actually love the sense of scale in that reveal trailer, so I hope they’ve managed to keep that.

4 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

The faux African Savannah with herds of !Rhinos doesn't look Pacific Northwest, no.

Everything else though, right?

I’m still optimistic they can throw some sandy areas in there, especially seeing as they’ve already worked on it for Behemoth.

I guess we’ll see soon enough.

14 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

Did they fix that weird controller lag from the test flights? Or if not lag at least the weird feel to the aiming? 

To me it feels a lot better in this. However I did fiddle with my settings in the test flight to improve it, so I don't know if it's just remembered those settings.

I'm still really bemused by some of the UI decisions that have been made. Like the initial MP screen that has your spartans hanging around, although there only seems to room for 4 despite the fact you can have loads more in a fireteam. Also the way you don't follow the leader around in the menus so it can seem like nothing is happening. It just made so much more sense in Halo 5 when you selected a mode that everyone saw the same thing.

Once you are in an actual match though it is lovely, and while I don't really like the nerf on the pistol I do like the change so that sprinting doesn't seem to affect your shield recharge. Still miss boost though (although so pleased spartan charge is gone)

I also like the fact that Ranked matches are BR starts (which kind of negates the feeling of the pistol being nerfed).

Still utterly loath Big Team Battle though!

2 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

To me it feels a lot better in this. However I did fiddle with my settings in the test flight to improve it, so I don't know if it's just remembered those settings.

It doesn't remember them. I was also wondering if they'd improved the defaults. I whacked the aim acceleration up a bit and reduced the right-stick deadzone right down just to be safe - it seemed decent to me. Perhaps a bit twitchy when zoomed.

4 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

I am loving the way that "bots" is the big new selling point for the Xbox's flagship game in 2021. Unreal Tournament called and it's got a few things to say about that.

As do Perfect Dark's Meat Turtlesims, Hard Judgesims, Perfect Fistsims and Dark Speedsims.