IGNORED

Halo Infinite - OUT NOW - no campaign spoilers pls

Wallace

4 hours ago, Talvalin said:

Sadly, it's not just noobs doing that kind of thing. Last night during a Slayer match, @Wahwah* drove our Rockethog into the chasm on Behemoth. :(

In hindsight I should have recorded that moment, because of course now he can come in and flatly deny that the event ever happened

I think you must be mistaken..?

16 minutes ago, JPL said:

After last night’s session, I had a look around each map and there are 5 they could use for big team.

Behemoth (might be a bit small)

Deadlock

Fragmentation

High power

Launch Site

I only got to play on 3 of them though and you’d be forgiven for thinking Fragmentation and High Power were the same map, they look so similar, but hopefully they’ll start to give us the others to play on soon.

One thing I’ve found is that all the maps feel quite intricate. I miss the simplicity of stuff like The Pit or Valhalla or even Narrows, that have wide open areas with massive lines of sight that stretch to the opposing base. Maybe they’ve got a few more to give us when the campaign launches, as it does feel quite slim pickings at the moment.

Whilst I agree with the sentiment, it's possible that they are trying to reduce how much a very good sniper can dominate the game? That said, watching the video posted earlier on, there's not much you can do to defend against a person launching vehicles up into the air with grenades, grappling on to the flying wreckage and then no-scoping you from way up high.

12 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

I think you must be mistaken..?

A response that works on two levels - well done! :P

Think I've played enough to give some thoughts on this so far.

The Good:

• Overall I think it plays BEAUTIFULLY.  Really pleased - they've nailed the Halo 'feel'
  • Really enjoying playing some game modes I'd not previously given much attention to.  
  • I love the visuals and sound.  Again, it just feels right and when there's chaos around bottlenecks, it looks superb
  • The balance of weapons is about right I think - it's a relief to start each game on an even keel with everyone.  Particularly because most of the time, I'll be towards the bottom of the leaderboard
  • The training modes are very useful because a lot happens during matches that seem completely baffling to me.  Trying out new weapons is a godsend - particularly those that have the alternative fire via LT.  
  • Sarky/funny AI phrases.  No doubt this will grate in time but I think they're great

The Bad:

• The progression is appalling - I am hoping this will be fixed fairly quickly because there doesn't seem to be much incentive to.. you know - play well!  The whole XP thing seems to be as basic as it's possible to be.  I love the stats you get from Halo matches - let's have some more of this and get rewarded for playing well!
  • The music in menus seems a bit OTT - doesn't feel Halo-esque
  • I'm really not very good :lol: Although I managed to get MVP on a Big Team Battle last night, that's very much a one off.  I just don't seem to have the reflexes that some people do.  I'm hoping the matchmaking improves a bit.  I'm working on ranked games so I'm sorted into my correct order.  Which will be pretty low down I reckon
  • I STILL HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO DRIVE A FUCKING GHOST BECAUSE EVERYONE ALWAYS GETS THERE FIRST!!!

I would like to team up with some folks from here I think because I definitely need some tips to improve.  And it's always better to play with others.  But overall, I'm more than pleased - I just hope they rejig the progression soon because that's definitely the biggest problem at the moment.  

There were like four extra map names in the datamine, which are presumably your season content.

• Catalyst
  • Solitude
  • Exiled
  • Wasteland

Exiled and Wasteland sound like BTB maps, the former was a Halo 4 map. The fact they're all campaign assets isn't great for visual variety though, the biggest shift is they've just set them at different times of day.

The weak progression system is really weird but the gameplay of this is so spot on that the whole thing is irrelevant to me. I want to play because it's fun. I don't remember being bothered about it while playing halo 2 and 3 online for hundreds of hours.

14 minutes ago, KartoffelKopf said:

Dafuq is a challenge swap?

Like most service games you get daily and weekly challenges and the only way to progress the battle pass is by completing these. Challenge swap tokens allow you to swap one you don't like for another random one (hoping it’s better) as there's a lot incredibly situational difficult challenges in the mix. You can also buy them for real money, which leaves the nasty taste that they deliberately put in shitty challenges as a monetisation drive. The problem with just going 'But game is fun tho' and comparing it to older games is that even if you don't care about the battle pass or getting cosmetics, the current system hurts the game as you end up with teammates dicking about trying to complete challenges instead of playing the objective. If they had to have this system they really should have stuck to challenges like 'Capture zones' or 'Protect the flag carrier', stuff that might actually have promoted teamwork.

On that note I wish they had a separate Slayer playlist. Not because I like Slayer, but because I prefer objective gametypes and having another playlist might get rid of all the people who just want to run around like headless chickens going pew pew and team me up with people who actually want to try and play the goal. The amount of dickheads I've seen just completely ignore the oddball and go haring off over the horizon.

433063992_HaloInfinite.thumb.png.22c3e83024df869cc302d03502ee34a3.png

Exciting new medals :) 

With the battlepass, I wouldn't be playing this to unlock stuff - me and @metallicfrodo continued to play Halo 5 until very recently and not because of progression but for the gameplay. However, if they are going to include unlocks they need to be better that they are. I'm hopefully it's going to be a case of balancing it but there is a risk it will just be crap.

Does this have assassinations in it? I haven't noticed but they could be another unlock I guess.

1 minute ago, Kryptonian said:

However, if they are going to include unlocks they need to be better that they are.

It's hard to see what they can do really, there are only so many slightly-differently-coloured helmets that people are going to be prepared to pay for.

This is just the first Battle Pass and the rewards look underwhelming at best. They'll really be scraping the barrel in a year's time.

8 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

It's hard to see what they can do really, there are only so many slightly-differently-coloured helmets that people are going to be prepared to pay for.

This is just the first Battle Pass and the rewards look underwhelming at best. They'll really be scraping the barrel in a year's time.

A challenge they face compared to their rivals is (adopts Edge writer persona) verisimilitude. I'm happy that they appear to be sticking to a certain sense of design/setting as I prefer that in my games. But the big hitters like Fortnite/Warzone are all about the large cross-media promotions. Stuff like Captain America and Indiana Jones coming to CoD Vanguard and every franchise under the sun is in Fortnite. Personally I don't want Batman, Chewbacca and Blanche from the Golden Girls running around in my Halo game, so I'm glad, but the bean counters push for that kind of thing as it results in big bucks.

6 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

I wonder about this too. The other f2p games do crazy skins for their characters,  versions where they're robots,  zombies, punks, superheroes, cowboys,  sports players, movie characters.  I'm not sure Halo can do that, without diminishing the brand identity. 

And you're right, getting a new chest plate that has a little knife attached to it or something similar isn't going to sell season passes. 

So maybe, we get used to the idea that in a couple of seasons, there'll be cell shaded master chiefs running around alongside a Ghostbuster, a tattood, shirtless Master Chief and Snoop Dogg. 

Even that red white and blue skin is hideous. I've already got everyone who wears it pegged as a dickhead (apologies to anyone here - it's only because they seemed to be the best players).

I wear it, it was free and makes me feel like a fancy Gundam. spacer.png

1 minute ago, Pob said:

Even that red white and blue skin is hideous. I've already got everyone who wears it pegged as a dickhead (apologies to anyone here - it's only because they seemed to be the best players).

Yeah, grabbed it from the store to never use the thing as it's disgusting. 

I'm really surprised they never did stuff like taking the helmets off and giving you an actual character to customise. It's really hard to care about your multiplayer avatar when they're completely faceless and never speak, the rise of 'hero shooters' or these CoD Operators suggests people want a bit of personality. You don't need Batman in there, but you can try and meet them halfway, but they haven't even tried that.

Anyway, I discovered this has no region filtering last night, which explains why I kept being killed like 20ft behind walls and had fights where I'd get the drop on somebody and then just seem to die instantly, so I'm blaming all my performance on that.

They've just put all that mad medieval armour into Halo: MCC and that seemed to go down quite well. I suspect there's a bit more latitude to have more outlandish armour and designs, because soldiers have traditionally decorated their vehicles and gear and the mode is explicitly supposed to be a training session (so you could use stuff you wouldn't take into battle).

I can imagine them having stuff that looks a bit like WW2 plane artwork, or stuff that's like Emile's helmet in Halo Reach with the skull carved into the faceplate, or even more overtly colourful stuff. I don't think it'll be like Destiny, with armour made out of wood and with giant deer antlers, but they can push it a bit further without making it feel ridiculous. The current selection looks pretty mundane, it has to be said.

They started going down the route of more outlandish skins in Master Chief Collection towards the end.

spacer.png

The second that Fracture: Tenrai event hits on 23rd Nov, 90% of the player base will be running around in that samurai armour that it’s in the armour hall.

2 minutes ago, Kryptonian said:

The other thing if they do go with cel shaded or other styles is that those skins will stick out like a sore thumb in game.

How do the serious bro games like Warzone handle this?

Lol Warzone serious?

You can get guns with big boob anime girls on them that flash different colours and fire lasers.

For anyone wanting to improve / get used to things, bot matches with the enemies set to ODST ai is really good fun and offers a bit of a challenge. It’s not like playing against decent players but it really does help and is stress free. I’m getting to know the maps and weapon behaviour well through doing it. 

It’s brilliant that they’ve included this. 

1 minute ago, Garwoofoo said:

I am loving the way that "bots" is the big new selling point for the Xbox's flagship game in 2021. Unreal Tournament called and it's got a few things to say about that.

Yeah true. It’s not really the big new selling point though, I (and many others I think) just feel more catered for now regarding practicing. I’m shit at FPS multiplayer games but want to play them.