IGNORED

Halo Infinite - OUT NOW - no campaign spoilers pls

Wallace

1 minute ago, Popo said:

Is there any way to guarantee play against people of equivalent skill as yourself? I’m finding it to be a merciless meat grinder at the moment. 

Play ranked and be patient whilst everyone gets placement matches out the way and settled into their true rank.

1 hour ago, Popo said:

Is there any way to guarantee play against people of equivalent skill as yourself? I’m finding it to be a merciless meat grinder at the moment. 

Go into the training menu and try the bot matches - it puts you on a team of three other humans against bots. The AI is very convincing but not as brutal as 4v4 humans. Pretty sure you can rank and level that way too. The way the bot AI behaves has made me even more excited for the campaign.

First game got booted, in the second I had no display and every other re-spawn I could only move and look around. I did get one game though, and thought pretty much everything was good with it. Seems really fresh and new, even on my original xbox one.

4 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

This is delicious! Had a few rounds and even managed to go positive in a slayer game, we started off badly and clawed i way back only to end up with a narrow -2 defeat - the pistol is still beautiful.

One complaint, and i didnt suffer this in the flights, Im always a right stick clicker when the going gets tough so usually change it to duck but hadn’t needed to in the flights but every 2 secs I’m hitting the damn stick and waving my arms about mid fight ffs :( 

I'm the same, I ended up changing to custom controller config and not having anything mapped to right stick click as I got so fed up with myself for doing it!

18 minutes ago, taurusnipple said:

Stay with another team

member and shoot whatever they are aiming at. Keep moving. Engage, don’t fight 1 on 2. 

This is very good advice. I tend to look for the highest scoring player on my team and stay close to them

16 minutes ago, Rockboy said:

I'm the same, I ended up changing to custom controller config and not having anything mapped to right stick click as I got so fed up with myself for doing it!

Ahhhh, i didnt spend long enough in the control section - will get that turned off then!

37 minutes ago, taurusnipple said:

don’t fight 1 on 2. 

I feel this game is particularly bad for this because all of the weapons have really low clip sizes, you basically have to reload after every kill with almost every weapon, so if you run into two enemies you just have no chance of success.

Halo used to have like, 60 round magazines that could mop up a whole squad, shotguns with 10 rounds that could kill in 1, pistols and rifles that could get a bunch of kills, where you could kind of outplay being outnumbered. Here the pistol has 12 bullets but requires what- 10 for a kill? I've had so many situations where me and another guy shred each others shields and then have this awkward standoff as we reload to finish each other off.

This is absolute quality and has really got me wanting the campaign now. Bastards!

Anyway, I’ve been playing big team, but could really do with a bigger squad of people I can trust, so who’s up for it tomorrow evening?

9 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

I feel this game is particularly bad for this because all of the weapons have really low clip sizes, you basically have to reload after every kill with almost every weapon, so if you run into two enemies you just have no chance of success.

I’ve found it’s the 3rd player that causes problems rather than the 2nd. Can go to pot pretty quickly at that point

9 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

reload to finish each other off.

Swapping weapons instead usually works out well.

I played an entire match and was so proud only to discover these were bots. This AI is next level. I then played a match with people and to be honest some of them were worse than the bots. This feels really good. I had a proper good time. I hope the campaign is this good. I can see it going either way. 

5 hours ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Keep moving but don't run around pointlessly. Don't run around corners especially.

Aim anywhere on the body with your assault rifle to pop their shield. When their shield is down, use your pistol for headshots.

No need to burst fire the assault rifle, just keep your trigger down and aim. As soon as their shield is done you're already getting your pistol out. Very precise timing.

Alien weapons do more damage to shields, human weapons do more damage to flesh.

Wouldn't even bother with grenades until you can get the Halo dance down in one-on-one firefights. Just remember shield pop then headshots. Melee if you're feeling bold.

I wouldn't get distracted by power weapons either. Get the basics down. Spend the entire night practising the shield pop/headshot combo. You'll get there.

Great advice, actually really helped! I’m doing kind of well now?!?

6 hours ago, pinholestar said:

Where can you see your ping?

Its an option in the settings. It appears in the top right of the screen.

Mines 26 ms in all game modes apart from BTB, though I think its the servers as it was 26 this evening for most the games, but its gone back to 90+ as of me writing this. Its bad enough that you can get caught with your pants down by 3+ players due to the radar change, but not being to fight back because you've got a terrible connection to the server definitely does not help - I get melted in around a second by what looks like 1 BR spray, yet for them is likely a full clip.

Never happens in the other game modes.

Edit: Its under UI in the settings - "Network Statistics" for those who want this turned on. Its in no way intrusive btw, so no reason to not have it on at all times in my opinion.

Got to love how many starts are players jumping into a warthog and then driving off without any teammates, running over a friendly, then flipping into a ravine. Also I can't help but think domination matches are determined by which team has the most players actually understanding that you're meant to control 3 sectors, and not just get into random firefights.

1 hour ago, therearerules said:

Also, is everyone else getting just 3 maps on big team battle?

That's all there is, unfortunately. If I do have one criticism apart from the godawful battle pass it's that the maps, although excellently designed, are rather lacking in visual variety. I'll be spending 90% of my time in BTB and if those 3 are all there are then it'll get old really fast. Hopefully they're holding some back for the full campaign release.

2 hours ago, therearerules said:

Got to love how many starts are players jumping into a warthog and then driving off without any teammates, running over a friendly, then flipping into a ravine. Also I can't help but think domination matches are determined by which team has the most players actually understanding that you're meant to control 3 sectors, and not just get into random firefights.

Sadly, it's not just noobs doing that kind of thing. Last night during a Slayer match, @Wahwah* drove our Rockethog into the chasm on Behemoth. :(

In hindsight I should have recorded that moment, because of course now he can come in and flatly deny that the event ever happened and was just a figment of my sleep-deprived brain at close to 3am, and I will have no evidence to the contrary.

To be fair, all of us are still learning our way around the maps so I can't really blame him, plus he did warn me to bail and I failed to pay heed, so that's on me.

On a related note, now that we've got bots to play against, I might do a few training rounds on each map to get a better feel for proceedings, especially for the BTB maps.

5 hours ago, pinholestar said:

That's all there is, unfortunately. If I do have one criticism apart from the godawful battle pass it's that the maps, although excellently designed, are rather lacking in visual variety. I'll be spending 90% of my time in BTB and if those 3 are all there are then it'll get old really fast. Hopefully they're holding some back for the full campaign release.

After last night’s session, I had a look around each map and there are 5 they could use for big team.

Behemoth (might be a bit small)

Deadlock

Fragmentation

High power

Launch Site

I only got to play on 3 of them though and you’d be forgiven for thinking Fragmentation and High Power were the same map, they look so similar, but hopefully they’ll start to give us the others to play on soon.

One thing I’ve found is that all the maps feel quite intricate. I miss the simplicity of stuff like The Pit or Valhalla or even Narrows, that have wide open areas with massive lines of sight that stretch to the opposing base. Maybe they’ve got a few more to give us when the campaign launches, as it does feel quite slim pickings at the moment.