Halo Infinite - Now Q3 2021

Wallace

Its unlimited as I think there's no score limit.

There are options when you pause (and the game proper pauses) where you can change the enemy difficulty, pick which weapons you have equipped, change number of AI players but the training seems to be endless.

Despite initial misgivings I do think this plays very well indeed. I hope they’ve just turned off a load of graphics and effects for the beta and the release version will see something much more visually impressive.

20 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Despite initial misgivings I do think this plays very well indeed. I hope they’ve just turned off a load of graphics and effects for the beta and the release version will see something much more visually impressive.

Why? It looks really nice and, the main thing, it’s uncluttered. Exactly how I want Halo multiplayer to look.

36 minutes ago, JPL said:

Why? It looks really nice and, the main thing, it’s uncluttered. Exactly how I want Halo multiplayer to look.

I just expect more visually at this stage.

Also, shoot those crates of fruit.

1 minute ago, Strafe said:

I just expect more visually at this stage.

Also, shoot those crates of fruit.

Such as what? The textures look great, the effects looks great and it’s smooth as fuck. Above all, it feels Halo. I’m well impressed.

I think you could look at any number of other first person shooters and see it’s not very ambitious in it’s looks. Textures are ok, lighting is very basic and there’s no real scenery. Perhaps when I play a more open map it will showcase the engine more. Currently it looks like an upscale Xbox 1 game on my series x - which is probably what it is right now.

Have you shot the fruit yet?

16 minutes ago, Strafe said:

I think you could look at any number of other first person shooters and see it’s not very ambitious in it’s looks. Textures are ok, lighting is very basic and there’s no real scenery. Perhaps when I play a more open map it will showcase the engine more. Currently it looks like an upscale Xbox 1 game on my series x - which is probably what it is right now.

Have you shot the fruit yet?

I dunno. I think it’s a conscious decision to keep things uncluttered while having that chunky Halo aesthetic. I think it looks great and definitely a step up from any previous Halo game.

Maybe comparing it with other games* is wrong and you should be comparing it with previous Halos.

*I’d be interested to know which other first person shooters you think look better than this.

And no, I haven’t shot the fruit yet, although I did see someone moaning about that after the first flight. I’m pretty sure incidental things like that will get addressed if they feel it’s affecting that gameplay in any way.

7 minutes ago, JPL said:

*I’d be interested to know which other first person shooters you think look better than this.

Overwatch, Titanfall 2, warzone (not that I play it). It has an edge on Valorant though, that’s for sure.

Just now, Hitcher said:

You're trolling us right?

No! I just think it looks rather basic. I am not saying it’s a bad game. It is a lot of fun.

But seeing as how this can run on an Xbox 1 and most of the effects look to be turned off I don’t think I’m especially wide of the mark.

I’m genuinely glad if people think it looks great, I just think it looks bare bones right now.

Can’t remember if this setting was in the last flight but I’m struggling to get to grips with the aiming exactly. Reduced the look dead zones and axial and it’s way better. Set it down to 7.5 and it feels much nicer to aim with. 

I personally think it looks great. It’s very halo, nice and clean. It’s going to take me a while to get out of the Halo 5 habit of instantly hitting the Y button to change to the Pistol. The aim assist does seem to be massively reduced from H5.

I know what they are trying to do with the Pistol nerf, but it does feel a bit like you are under powered on spawn and need to find a weapon quick smart (although nowhere near as bad as H2 when it wasn’t BR starts). I did really like the fact that in H5 you felt like you had a really decent weapon right from the start, that worked pretty effectively at any range. They do seem to have reduced the effective range on a number of the guns.

1 hour ago, metallicfrodo said:

I personally think it looks great. It’s very halo, nice and clean. It’s going to take me a while to get out of the Halo 5 habit of instantly hitting the Y button to change to the Pistol. The aim assist does seem to be massively reduced from H5.

I know what they are trying to do with the Pistol nerf, but it does feel a bit like you are under powered on spawn and need to find a weapon quick smart (although nowhere near as bad as H2 when it wasn’t BR starts). I did really like the fact that in H5 you felt like you had a really decent weapon right from the start, that worked pretty effectively at any range. They do seem to have reduced the effective range on a number of the guns.

100% I can’t stop hitting Y thinking i will have the pistol but I get where they’re going with it.

3 hours ago, Strafe said:

No! I just think it looks rather basic. I am not saying it’s a bad game. It is a lot of fun.

But seeing as how this can run on an Xbox 1 and most of the effects look to be turned off I don’t think I’m especially wide of the mark.

I’m genuinely glad if people think it looks great, I just think it looks bare bones right now.

it looks fine to me I’m definitely not lamenting it. It’s a GAAS like SOT so let’s see how it pans out I think it’s fair to say we are far from done. The improvement over the last flight is already nuts

4 hours ago, Strafe said:

Overwatch, Titanfall 2, warzone (not that I play it). It has an edge on Valorant though, that’s for sure.

You are high if you think Overwatch or Titanfall 2 looks better than this.

Both are running at about half the internal resolution of this on consoles for a start.

5 hours ago, Isaac said:

Both are running at about half the internal resolution of this on consoles for a start.

Overwatch runs at 4K on series x.

5 hours ago, Isaac said:

Art style > resolution

(Not agreeing with either side tho, Halo and overwatch are both beautiful imo)

I can't help but feel people are trying a bit too hard to correct the initial poor impressions - it's a bit ludicrous going "OMG best game evar!!!1!" when all you can do at the moment is kill average bots in an endless match and try the different weapons until you get bored.

It's not bad, though, honestly. It doesn't perform as well as it should or look as good as it should, but they've at least got both to levels where it no longer offends at how bad it was. And the gameplay is solid enough, I don't know if there's a Halo 2 thing going on here where the MP team avoided all the chaos affecting campaign, but it all feels pretty refined and you could jump into the F2P bit with confidence.

If there's a couple of bugbears it's that the traversal is a bit stingy, the sprint is ridiculously nerfed, and while the grapple is good fun, it's limited in uses rather than on a cooldown, and you really feel the loss switching to any other ability (It's also kind of awkward with single-use items like the stealth or overshield, where you have to swap it out, use it, and then pick up your old grapple from the floor again)

The frontend also needs a lot of work, doing a weapon drill involves a countdown, and then a loading screen for the loading screen, and then you need to back out to a menu for each try. Can't the loading go behind the countdown? Can't I restart without a load given you're just spawning and despawning targets, which is what the mode does anyway? Titanfall 2 did it best, just have a rack of guns behind the player and have it load up the challenge automatically based on what they equip.

Really impressed with this. Looks wonderful with a really clean style to it. Movement and weapons all feels suitably solid and weighty, with some really nice audio work.

Not sure what I was expecting but it all looks and feels extremely Halo which is exactly what I wanted.

I'm kind of a bit less hot on this than most it seems. It plays a good game of Halo, it feels like Halo 3 in a modern context and if that's what you're after then you're going to have a great time with Infinite. They've nerfed the pistol so that your first thought on spawn absolutely needs to be getting a better weapon. As I say, it feels very Halo 3. But I miss the movement options from 5, boost in particular. The TTK feels quite low here and it's a shame to not have that extra option when someone gets the drop on you.

I hated the beta of 5, it's worth mentioning, and that ended up being one of my favourite multiplayer shooters ever. I think it's how much time I put into 5 and how into the flow of that game I got that's making me a bit cold on Infinite. Everything feels a bit less exciting, a bit slower.