Halo Infinite - Now Q3 2021

Wallace

I saw a 13 minute video IGN released of the new multiplayer test and I think it looks great. Just the right pace, the sound is spot on and it looks like classic Halo.

TBH with Slayer in particular, I'm more than happy with how it is now, I dont really want a big overhaul or anything like that.

I wasn't blown away by the visuals but having played a lot of Halo 5 recently, it doesn't look as bad as some have suggested.

I'm interested in seeing how the bigger maps with vehicles look but I'm still pretty excited by what I've seen so far.

3 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

I saw a 13 minute video IGN released of the new multiplayer test and I think it looks great. Just the right pace, the sound is spot on and it looks like classic Halo.

TBH with Slayer in particular, I'm more than happy with how it is now, I dont really want a big overhaul or anything like that.

I wasn't blown away by the visuals but having played a lot of Halo 5 recently, it doesn't look as bad as some have suggested.

I'm interested in seeing how the bigger maps with vehicles look but I'm still pretty excited by what I've seen so far.

You got a link to it? I didn’t get chance to jump on this weekend, so I’d love to see some impressions of it.

I enjoyed playing the test, my only complaint was that the aiming felt a little slippery and imprecise at times (especially zoomed with the Commando Rifle) and that the FOV was way too narrow.

It looks great on that IGN video, but what’s the deal with all the random colours of armour? I take it, the glowing outline is your only visual indication, but that seems a bit weak compared to red vs blue. Maybe it works better in play, but I hope it’s something they address.

I went back onto Halo 5 MP after the beta stopped ( I assumed it had as I couldn’t sign in again…) initially Halo 5 wows you but after a while its quite clear that Infinite is super clean and so much easier to read, far less busy but what is there is super sharp and informative - it was quite difficult ‘dropping back’ to Halo 5 MP but i see that as a good thing.

I mean of course, it doesn’t look as gud as Miles Morales or that shitty new platformer so serves no value, 343 are shite and the series x is much wurser than a PS5 but I can see this MP side being incredibly popular to play and watch.

1 hour ago, ilpostino said:

I enjoyed playing the test, my only complaint was that the aiming felt a little slippery and imprecise at times (especially zoomed with the Commando Rifle) and that the FOV was way too narrow.

I think the commando rifle might have a bit of a learning curve, I couldn't see what it was for initially, but after a couple of goes it seemed a bit more useful. 

6 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

I think the commando rifle might have a bit of a learning curve, I couldn't see what it was for initially, but after a couple of goes it seemed a bit more useful. 

Yeah I got a grip on it eventually, I felt zoomed aiming felt really slippery on almost all weapons though.

I tried a bunch of different controller settings and managed to get it somewhat controllable by the time PVP Slayer came around, so hopefully it's something they can tweak.

I've moaned about this to @Wahwah* repeatedly in recent weeks, but I really do hope that 343 do something about quitters. Games against skilled players are impossible when a teammate quits out, and often provokes other teammates to quit as well. It's still happening frequently in Halo 5 (and has been a constant problem since Halo 2 in 2004!) and it's getting faintly ridiculous now.

Frequent quitters (because dropping out can happen due to a personal emergency, shit connections etc) should face penalities in the form of being blocked from match-making for a period of time, with that time increasing if said person continues to quit out of matches upon their return. I think Wahwah also mentioned something employed by other PvP FPS games where teams who are a teammate down do not get penalised for losing in ranked play, but would get a bonus if they manage to win an uneven game. That kind of thing.

Sorry. I should probably be moaning about this in the Halo 5 thread, but it seems to be happening all the time and is a huge detriment to enjoyment of the game. Alternatively I should just stop playing Halo 5 until Infinite is out and play something else instead.

4 hours ago, Talvalin said:

Frequent quitters (because dropping out can happen due to a personal emergency, shit connections etc) should face penalities in the form of being blocked from match-making for a period of time, with that time increasing if said person continues to quit out of matches upon their return. I think Wahwah also mentioned something employed by other PvP FPS games where teams who are a teammate down do not get penalised for losing in ranked play, but would get a bonus if they manage to win an uneven game. That kind of thing.

Yes, it was Apex Legends that I was talking about. 

I'm not sure how big Apex Legends is (I'm sure I read here someone saying their player count was falling a while back) but they don't seem to be worried about slightly alienating those who leave mid game.  You'll get a cooldown for quitting which effectively means there's no point in leaving a match in order to go play with someone else,  or because you haven't secured the character you wanted, as you'll be waiting as long as it might take to play the game through before you can start matching again. 

I have wondered if Infinite's bots will be pressed into service if someone quits mid game or if they're part of a way to ensure speed of matching should 343 wish to experiment with more playlists.

Early on, it became apparent that the bots would congregate in one area on the first map at the beginning of a game, so if you ran there immediately and were lucky with grenade throw timing, then you (or if less lucky,  a teammate) could pickup a multikill at the start to the game.  Beyond that,  I thought the bots were reasonable opponents once their skill level was bumped up, as they were when the 3rd map, Bazaar, was released. As long as there's not too many tells, and not too much predictable behaviour, it could work out well to keep teams balanced in that way,  but there's no escaping that playing bots isn't as exciting/ satisfying/varied as playing against other people.

Hopefully 343 have been looking at Apex's methods to discourage quitting, as well as it's business model. 

In Valorant, quitting mid-match gets you a 10 minute lock on being able to queue again, escalating for each time you quit.

In competitive ranked matchmaking it also gives you a penalty that stops you gaining rank for a game or two, again, escalating over time.

That's the system 343 should copy.

There are escalating penalties for quitting out of games in Halo: MCC, so I don’t see why they wouldn’t do something similar in Halo: Infinite

47 minutes ago, K said:

There are escalating penalties for quitting out of games in Halo: MCC, so I don’t see why they wouldn’t do something similar in Halo: Infinite

I mean, it's entirely possible that there are penalties already in place that I'm not aware, simply because I rarely ever quit out of a game, even when it's 1v4 (this does lead to the other team tea-bagging my corpse in an effort to get me to quit out so they can move on to their next game, but that's by the by).

However the frequency of people quitting out is doing nothing to convince me that penalties are in place. I might try quitting out of a ranked game to see if I get any kind of notification. At least GoW4 and Gears 5 have very visible warnings about the penalities for quitting out of ranked games and it's something that I never saw happen, even when one team was getting utterly stomped on, so perhaps adding those would also help.

1 hour ago, Wahwah* said:

I'm not sure how big Apex Legends is (I'm sure I read here someone saying their player count was falling a while back)

Tends to vary depending on where in the Season cycle you are, but EA claim 30% increase in 2020, 100 million users and rising esports viewership (which is also being boosted at the moment by some big streamers abandoning Warzone after rampant cheating). Any way you cut it, it's massive. And if Halo Infinite wants to take a slice of the pie it has to play to its strengths and capitalise on weaknesses. 

Where Apex is weak is (also) cheating, balance, SBMM and server stability. Where it has H:I beaten is traversal, Legend powers, BR format (which although initially unpopular as a viewing sport, has exploded after the pandemic as watching BR from the eyes of a player, rather than coverage can be exciting) and obviously its massive, engaged player base. Apex's Arena mode is also fairly new and still working out wrinkles but shows Respawn are willing to innovate to cut into other game types. 

H:I could carve a niche for itself because it is so clean and easy to parse (both for playing and viewing) but it's a very different gaming landscape now to even when Halo 5 was released. And some of this stuff is backed by people like Riot (who know what they're doing). 

My main concern is the format of the game itself - which in H:I's case largely seems to be classic Halo game modes (from what I've seen). The fragmentation of games into elimination and BR isn't just a changing fashion thing, I think it's what people prefer to play. Or, at least, I think it's what people think they like to play. I've been enjoying classic modes in Destiny 2 recently. Capturing flags, team DM etc and they are comfort food and familiar, but ultimately they're not really the thrill of either quick TTK CS:GO style shooters, or mature BR games. How universal that feeling is, I don't know. But certainly for esports and just general viewing on Twitch, I suspect watching people dominate in modes where failure means failure, rather than a respawn and go again will always be a bigger draw now.

The elephant in the room is probably the collapse of Halo 5's popularity. Of which there are many reasons for, but it's a game that is a slightly busier but fundamentally similar proposition to H:I that has failed to stand toe to toe with competing titles. How relevant this is, is hard to say. Maybe H:I can capture a moment, or a gaming cycle, and rise again, but I suspect not. 

2 hours ago, cavalcade said:

The elephant in the room is probably the collapse of Halo 5's popularity. Of which there are many reasons for, but it's a game that is a slightly busier but fundamentally similar proposition to H:I that has failed to stand toe to toe with competing titles. How relevant this is, is hard to say. Maybe H:I can capture a moment, or a gaming cycle, and rise again, but I suspect not. 

Call of Duty seemed busy enough when I played the standard modes a while back. With luck there'll be an appetite for Halo's equivalents later this year. 

Halo seemed to get a boost in player count recently, I haven't played H5 in ages, but when I did it seemed quick to get into a game, etc.  Even Halo Wars 2 which I play most days has got more players, you could always get a game but it would take time to find someone.  It's still not always very quick but it is better.  I think most games would struggle to keep an audience with the same maps for over 5 years. I think that hype for Infinite has caused some lapsed players to revisit in preparation, even if the game is from an entirely different genre. Alternatively, they're all people who skipped Xbox one and bought a Series System. 

I think that it's reasonable to say that one Halo game per generation isn't enough to sustain an audience (especially when they split that audience further with MCC) and that people will come back to the brand when there's something new to see.  I hope that Halo Infinite's successor is already being thought about and that we don't have another 6 year gap between titles. 

1 minute ago, Wahwah* said:

I think that it's reasonable to say that one Halo game per generation isn't enough to sustain an audience (especially when they split that audience further with MCC) and that people will come back to the brand when there's something new to see.  I hope that Halo Infinite's successor is already being thought about and that we don't have another 6 year gap between titles. 

I think the opposite will happen to be honest. There's a reason it's not called Halo Temporary. They're aiming for Infinite to be a Fortnite esque Portal for an ever changing game. That's why it's Free to Play. If it goes the way they want we're going to be playing a version of Halo Infinite for the next 10 years at least. 

1 minute ago, Wahwah* said:

I hope that Halo Infinite's successor is already being thought about and that we don't have another 6 year gap between titles.

I can’t remember where I heard it, but I thought Infinite was going to be built on for the next ten years?

1 minute ago, BitterToad said:

I think the opposite will happen to be honest. There's a reason it's not called Halo Temporary. They're aiming for Infinite to be a Fortnite esque Portal for an ever changing game. That's why it's Free to Play. If it goes the way they want we're going to be playing a version of Halo Infinite for the next 10 years at least. 

Well, that works too. Same maps and game modes for 5+ years is the thing to avoid.

Re: quitting. They’ve said that bots will step in for quitting players (although not confirmed if this is all playlists, ranked etc). 

As mentioned also there is a quit penalty for MCC at the moment which is pleasingly severe (I think a sit out on your first quit) but no penalty if there are less than 50% left. Doesn’t help if you’re down to 50% and getting obliterated but still. I assume (/hope?) they’ll add this in for Infinite. 

1 hour ago, Talvalin said:

I mean, it's entirely possible that there are penalties already in place that I'm not aware, simply because I rarely ever quit out of a game, even when it's 1v4 (this does lead to the other team tea-bagging my corpse in an effort to get me to quit out so they can move on to their next game, but that's by the by).

However the frequency of people quitting out is doing nothing to convince me that penalties are in place. I might try quitting out of a ranked game to see if I get any kind of notification. At least GoW4 and Gears 5 have very visible warnings about the penalities for quitting out of ranked games and it's something that I never saw happen, even when one team was getting utterly stomped on, so perhaps adding those would also help.

Weird that the penalties don't seem to affect quitters, they seem quite punitive from what I can see - 5 minutes for the first offence, and then escalating by 15 minutes for every subsequent one. Fifth offence gets you a three hour penalty, and the sixth gets you banned for 18hrs. 

I've never seen it happen because I tend not to quit out of games (and also don't play it very often, tbh), but they seem like quite harsh penalties. Regardless of whether or not players are warned, you would have thought that a player would get the message after the second ban.

18 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

I swear the only proper console wars stuff I see on here is from you guys dragging it in and proudly showing it off like my cat does with a dead bird. 

I say to you what I say to him: No! Get that shit out of here! 

Oh go away you tedious arse. Any time anybody posts a jokey reference to PS fanboys getting a little defensive about Xbox possibly finally having some decent exclusives you pop up to whine about console wars. Perhaps you should just stick to being defensive about anyone being negative in the PS5 thread?

People are seriously making comparisons to shooting fruit, fruit for fucks sake. Rather than enjoying what they have, they are taking time out to compare how shootmanz handle people firing at fucking banana's :lol: I think that's something to post and mock.

aaaanyway

Everybody's favourite console warz munitions manufacturer has a comparison video up.

I believe no fruit was harmed in the making of this video.

What would be actually useful is if they compared it to a more common PC setup than a bloody 3090. You know, to actually get an idea what it will be like on the average mid range PC.