Halo Infinite - Now Q3 2021

Yeah that reveal trailers graphics looked amazing.

You put that out as in engine footage it should look near that by now, otherwise some disappointment is warranted.

Edited by bumgut

If it’s completing for playtime against fortnite/apex/Warzone etc then it has to be free to play. 

If they want it to be really popular, they should port to Switch/PS4 too. Exclusives will never have the same mass popularity.  

3 minutes ago, Soi said:

If it’s completing for playtime against fortnite/apex/Warzone etc then it has to be free to play. 

If they want it to be really popular, they should port to Switch/PS4 too. Exclusives will never have the same mass popularity.  

Yes. It's pretty much halfway there anyway.

Yeah, right.

10 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

Well, there you go. 

This is great news.

Microsoft, if you’re listening:

MAKE ALL YOUR FIRST PARTY GAMES LOOK ROUGHLY THE SAME AS CURRENT GEN GAMES BUT RUN AT 60FPS/120FPS/4K. MAKE THE PEOPLE UNDERSTAND. DRAG THEM KICKING AND SCREAMING INTO THE LIGHT OF RESPECTABLE FRAMERATES AND THEY WILL EVENTUALLY LOVE YOU FOR IT. 

I’ve had it up to here with games like Ghost of Tsushima, TLOU2, God Of War, Bloodborne etc which look amazing but run like a flipbook and feel gritty and unwieldy. My TV is 120hz. My phone and tablet are 90/120hz. My PC monitor is 165hz. My laptop screen is 120hz. Sub 30fps is simply not an acceptable compromise any more. It never was. 

Framerate is king. Framerate is king. Framerate is king.

14 minutes ago, Moz said:

This is great news.

MAKE ALL YOUR FIRST PARTY GAMES LOOK ROUGHLY THE SAME AS CURRENT GEN GAMES BUT RUN AT 60FPS/120FPS/4K. MAKE THE PEOPLE UNDERSTAND. DRAG THEM KICKING AND SCREAMING INTO THE LIGHT OF RESPECTABLE FRAMERATES AND THEY WILL EVENTUALLY LOVE YOU FOR IT. 

I’ve had it up to here with games like Ghost of Tsushima, TLOU2, God Of War, Bloodborne etc which look amazing but run like a flipbook and feel gritty and unwieldy. My TV is 120hz. My phone and tablet are 90/120hz. My PC monitor is 165hz. My laptop screen is 120hz. Sub 30fps is simply not an acceptable compromise any more. It never was. 

May I recommend a little game called Deadly Premonition 2.

12 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

Well, there you go. 

Considering the rumors are gaining traction over the LIVE Multiplayer paywall finally being dropped for Xbox Consoles in August I am surprised they didn't just wait until then to announce this.

You’d have thought that was the kind of thing that would have been perfect to announce on video to liven up that wet fart of an event they did and would have given people something to talk about Halo Infinite related other than how underwhelming the game was visually and the funny Brute, instead of just dropping the news in a tweet a week or so later. What the hell’s going on over there with their PR at the moment.

9 hours ago, Jg15 said:

Considering the rumors are gaining traction over the LIVE Multiplayer paywall finally being dropped for Xbox Consoles in August I am surprised they didn't just wait until then to announce this.

Mark my words:

Ultimate will become the only thing you can pay for, which will include gamepass, cloud saves and online play.

Yeah, that's what I'd do if I were running the show. Game Pass is a competitive statement and advantage, and it's another string to the Sony being left behind as the less customer-friendly company. It directly attacks their "4 the players" message (although I assume they're going to have to try and find a 5 reference somehow now.)

31 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

Yeah, that's what I'd do if I were running the show. Game Pass is a competitive statement and advantage, and it's another string to the Sony being left behind as the less customer-friendly company. It directly attacks their "4 the players" message (although I assume they're going to have to try and find a 5 reference somehow now.)

For the player5

I could see them giving away cloud saves the way they give away a limited amount of OneDrive space, it’s got to be a trivial expense. And they could probably just extend everyone’s GwG expiry indefinitely; that’s the kind of one-off cost for a huge PR win that would make sense right now.

54 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

It massively simplifies things too. We already know Xcloud will be included with gamepass. 

13 hours ago, Moz said:

Mark my words:

Ultimate will become the only thing you can pay for, which will include gamepass, cloud saves and online play.

I can't see them dropping the $9.99 tier. 

On 01/08/2020 at 08:14, Moz said:

This is great news.

I do wonder if more TVs will just start to do 120Hz, in the same way you can't really buy a non-4K telly anymore, or whether manufacturers just don't care about pushing it at all. Outside of OLEDs, how many TV manufacturers really care about gaming?

And if that actually happens I expect certain games like COD, which have partially been successful because of that snappy 60fps feel on consoles, might have to jump to 120fps if Halo 5 does.

Unfortunately, my 2017 OLED doesn't do 120Hz, so I'm unlikely to experience it any time soon - unless I drop the input down to 1080p.

6 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I do wonder if more TVs will just start to do 120Hz, in the same way you can't really buy a non-4K telly anymore, or whether manufacturers just don't care about pushing it at all. Outside of OLEDs, how many TV manufacturers really care about gaming?

And if that actually happens I expect certain games like COD, which have partially been successful because of that snappy 60fps feel on consoles, might have to jump to 120fps if Halo 5 does.

Unfortunately, my 2017 OLED doesn't do 120Hz, so I'm unlikely to experience it any time soon - unless I drop the input down to 1080p.

1080p/1440p will be the vast majority of your 120Hz modes.

On 01/08/2020 at 09:14, Moz said:

Amen!

24 minutes ago, bumgut said:

I've never experienced 120fps gameplay.  What's it like? I always prefer 60 to 30 fps, but can you really tell its more responsive at 120 (with a controller)?

I doubt there's any real difference in responsiveness when you play with a pad but you can see the difference, most obviously when you drop back down from 120 to 60.

With a mouse it feels more responsive, like the movements of your arm are mapped with more accuracy to the movement on screen, but again I'm not sure if there's any meaningful difference or if it's purely a trick of perception.

It's a nice luxury.

The jump from 60 to 120 is about the same as the jump from 30 to 60. E.g. pretty massive. However 60fps is so much more acceptable than 30fps that it feels less vital in comparison. I don't think all games should be 120fps - it's a luxury for spendy PC Gamers or the people happy to compromise at 1080p/lower settings. But 30fps always feels like dragging a camera through gravel, and really harms your ability to track enemy movement (e.g. quickly tapping to counteract an attack). How people played Sekiro at 30fps I have no idea.

4 minutes ago, Moz said:

The jump from 60 to 120 is about the same as the jump from 30 to 60. E.g. pretty massive. However 60fps is so much more acceptable than 30fps that it feels less vital in comparison. I don't think all games should be 120fps - it's a luxury for spendy PC Gamers or the people happy to compromise at 1080p/lower settings. But 30fps always feels like dragging a camera through gravel, and really harms your ability to track enemy movement (e.g. quickly tapping to counteract an attack). How people played Sekiro at 30fps I have no idea.

Same reason people were fine with PAL speeds back in the day. You get used to it and isn't that big of a deal after awhile.

• Wallace changed the title to Halo Infinite - Now Q3 2021