Halo Infinite - MP OUT NOW - Campaign 08/12/21, no spoilers pls

Wallace

During the Destiny 2 reveal Bungie showcased their 30th anniversary celebration, they specifically included footage of people playing Halo split screen ... can't help but see that as Bungie giving 343i the finger. :lol:

24 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

Well this must be in one hell of a state for it to miss E3 AND Gamescom. Come on 343. Show us what you've been up too. I really want this to be good!

Time to get your hopes up again. :D

Getting really weird now, I honestly didn’t  expect campaign footage really but a date at least, I know they’re planning on rolling out the multiplayer beta to more people too, maybe they’ll announce it later in the week - who knows at this point, it’s quite bizarre. 

Everyone still having high hopes for Halo Infinite should reconsider. 

Ever since 343i took over this franchise has been an absolute sh*tshow. The only way to save Halo is to pry it out of the hands of 343i and give it to a more capable developer, which Microsoft has plenty. ID Games, Machine Games, The Coalition, Arkane Studios.... all these studios know how to deliver... on time. The whole building 343i around Halo has been a clusterf*** since day one. Microsoft just has to own it and take drastic measures. The way they revealed it, the last-minute delay, the overall lack of meaningful progress/presentations, the announcement that there won't be co-op at launch... all show that 343i still is as incapable as ever as the custodian of the Halo franchise. What a gigantic waste of time, money and resources. Prepare for another Halo 5 type of release.... maybe even worse this time.

They should have just bought Bungie back in the day.

1 hour ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

Ever since 343i took over this franchise has been an absolute sh*tshow. The only way to save Halo is to pry it out of the hands of 343i and give it to a more capable developer, which Microsoft has plenty. ID Games, Machine Games, The Coalition, Arkane Studios.... all these studios know how to deliver... on time. The whole building 343i around Halo has been a clusterf*** since day one. Microsoft just has to own it and take drastic measures. The way they revealed it, the last-minute delay, the overall lack of meaningful progress/presentations, the announcement that there won't be co-op at launch... all show that 343i still is as incapable as ever as the custodian of the Halo franchise. What a gigantic waste of time, money and resources. Prepare for another Halo 5 type of release.... maybe even worse this time.

That’s a strong take and whilst I sympathise, to a degree, Halo 4 was a great game, Halo 5 has moments of greatness, magnificence even, not to mention an excellent multiplayer. And also hindsight is a wonderful thing, but at the time people were hugely disappointed with Halo 2’s campaign after it bore little resemblance to the hugely impressive and hopeful demo shown at E3 a year earlier, and the Flood didn’t fuck off until Halo Reach, and dual wielding, etc. 

With that said they are taking the piss with their announcements and lack of updates or by not showing campaign footage, or even just giving us a release date. Perhaps they will later as rumoured, but what’s the point in having an hour long video presentation with “Xbox Gamescom Stream” plastered all over YouTube and then not using that to give an update on their flagship title, one that was so badly received they had to delay it by a whole year, one which many people will have bought a Series console for. At the very least it’s awfully bad PR and marketing management. 

But I’m still hopeful it will be good, I’d be in complete denial to suggest Halo Infinite hasn’t had a troubled development, it’s worrying, but I disagree that Halo has been a shit show since 343 took over.

2 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

What are the chances of them releasing the f2p multiplayer before Xmas to hit the vague 2021 date and delaying the campaign to next year?

They’ve already discounted it and stated explicitly it will launch with the campaign this year. 

I'm sure they have plans for the build-up to release, including a humongous advertising campaign that will include plenty of footage of the single player. 

We're still a few months out so it isn't unreasonable to be hearing so little at the moment. That said, another delay wouldn't surprise me, or as mentioned above splitting the multi and single player completely. 

Would love to see a retrospective documentary on the making of this game, wonder how many times it has been restarted. 

31 minutes ago, PeteJ said:

We're still a few months out so it isn't unreasonable to be hearing so little at the moment. That said, another delay wouldn't surprise me, or as mentioned above splitting the multi and single player completely. 

I can’t agree with that. Their other big tent pole release, Forza Horizon 5, has had loads of footage and been given a release date, only just yesterday during the Xbox Gamescom stream new footage was shown.

I think it’s pretty unreasonable now to allay any fears of further delays by saying it will definitely come out this year yet refuse to announce a date, they know theirs and other publishers schedules, they’re out of excuses. 

I mean I realise this is close to entitled whining, but given the, let’s be honest, shocked response, when they showed and delayed it last year, you think they’d be trying just that little bit harder to assure people it’s all on track. 

Maybe be thankful for the lack of new footage... it means the devs are being left alone to finish the game off and not create marketing assets. Trust me I've been there.

3 hours ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

The multiplayer test was great, best multiplayer since 3.

People who say 343 unequivocally ruined the series are on crack. 4's campaign was excellent, 5's multiplayer was apparently excellent despite a moderately shitty campaign that I still felt compelled to solo on Legendary (not an MP guy), and word of mouth off the Infinite MP beta is incredibly strong.

I think Infinite's going to be great. Campaign and MP. And people will be furious with it.

I have only just come back to playing Halo multiplayer - been really really enjoying Halo 5 and I don't really understand the criticism it has (story aside) as it plays beautifully.

Last time I was hooked on Halo MP was Halo 3 when it was first released and it's great to get that buzz back.  I have no doubts that Infinite will be immense fun when it finally arrives.

I share the frustrations with the lack of info - I just want to see as much footage as possible!!

52 minutes ago, Kayin Amoh said:

People who say 343 unequivocally ruined the series are on crack. 4's campaign was excellent, 5's multiplayer was apparently excellent despite a moderately shitty campaign that I still felt compelled to solo on Legendary (not an MP guy), and word of mouth off the Infinite MP beta is incredibly strong.

I think Infinite's going to be great. Campaign and MP. And people will be furious with it.

The 343 games are the ones that felt like they were designed for fan service by hardcore fans and have given extended universes bad names. I'm not reading 17 ancillary novels to understand who this fucker is or what that lady is super important. Explain yourself properly in the main series dang it! 

They have even admitted it themselves as a problem they are aware of and acknowledge. Before shortly announcing a spin off comic and novel so you can get all hot for the Infinite posse before the game comes out. Fucking Didact bullshit all over again. 

Somebody needs to reign in the brand. 

4 minutes ago, SweatyTravolta said:

The 343 games are the ones that felt like they were designed for fan service by hardcore fans and have given extended universes bad names. I'm not reading 17 ancillary novels to understand who this fucker is or what that lady is super important. Explain yourself properly in the main series dang it! 

All that stuff was already in place by Halo 2, long before 343 took over. 

Just now, Stanley said:

They had supporting content, not required reading lists. The handling of the Didact, the main villain was shocking. I remember just thinking " who's this dickhead and why should I care?". You don't introduce main characters in the side novels prior and not give them a proper introduction to the audience of normal folk. 

6 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Not really, there were only three books by then:

• The Fall of Reach - hastily written for the CE's launch
  • The Flood - just a retelling of CE
  • First Strike - Mister Chief's journey home to 2.

Nothing critical or important in them.

1 hour ago, Kayin Amoh said:

That said it could be pretty interesting to have them partner one of those other teams at least to have input/shared dev on the campaign portion of the game now they have all that talent available to them.. potentially cut down on development time a bit too.. It gave CoD a shot in the arm for a while.. and they were being churned out much more regularly..

• Kryptonian changed the title to Halo Infinite - MP OUT NOW - Campaign 08/12/21, no spoilers pls