Halo Infinite - MP OUT NOW - Campaign 08/12/21, no spoilers pls

Wallace

6 hours ago, Benny said:

What would be actually useful is if they compared it to a more common PC setup than a bloody 3090. You know, to actually get an idea what it will be like on the average mid range PC.

That's pointless though - if it's not hitting a solid 60 consistently on a 3090 then clearly it's still too early a beta to do proper performance testing as it's totally unoptimized.

Which is essentially the point they make.

I enjoyed the comparisons between all the Xbox consoles. Seeing it run at 544p30 on the One S and 544p120 on Series S is very cool. 

It’s a bit of a shame that it’s 30fps on last gen as Halo 5 was 60fps, but if it means a better (less restricted) next gen experience, then I’m all for it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Video highlights summarised from ERA

- Next flight will have 4v4 PvP and BTB, have all of the same content as the first flight as well, and be open to even more people

- Split-screen is Day 1 on Xbox devices, will be explored on PC post-launch

- Acknowledge co-op and Forge are fundamental to the Halo experience

- Co-op will come in Season 2 (~3 months), Forge will come out in Season 2 (~6 months after launch), #1 priority is meeting quality and stability across all platforms, many technical complexities with Forge, for example

- Still working out details of the specific release day, but absolutely releasing this Holiday, will know release date soon

- Insiders will get an opportunity to get hands on Forge in an upcoming flight

- Talked about delaying the game again, made the decision that it's a live game and wanted to get it out and continue to evolve the game from there

- Current state of development is shutdown/polish period, focus is on reviewing, bugfixing

- More campaign gameplay to come after shutdown mode is over, where they will shift focus to more gameplay capture

I'm pretty hyped for this and have been playing Halo 5 MP loads in anticipation, but Infinite having no Campaign co-op nor Forge mode at launch seems a bit of a letdown.

"Unfortunately, as we focused the team for shutdown and really focused on a quality experience for launch, we made the really tough decision to delay shipping campaign co-op for launch," stated Halo Infinite creative head, Joseph Staten. "And we also made the tough call to delay shipping Forge past launch as well."

That seems pretty rough if they're delayed a year and still pushing features back another six months, I mean they said they were "content complete" a year ago and just polishing. I get the feeling this'll still be coming in pretty hot despite the six(!) year development.

What? No co-op at launch???? Really??? But Halo *is* co-op. "We acknowledge co-op is fundamental" followed by "there is no co-op". REALLY???? Why even launch the game then? I've always played every Halo on launch (or leak) day in co-op. ALWAYS. If co-op isn't ready, the game isn't ready to be shipped simple as that. Jesus.

Hmmm co-op is definitely integral to Halo, but I would at least hope this means the campaign is properly balanced for single-player unlike Halo 5, which often felt like playing L4D with bots.

8 hours ago, squirtle said:

Ha ha! I've never played the campaigns in Co op so I'm all good. 

Just to balance the whining up above. 

My friend and I have been getting our Halo ducks in a line over the past few months. Prior to this year he had never played any Halo, and has now played them all, including 5 co-op, so yea, we are both pretty disappointed. 

It’s disappointing but if we have learned anything from 343 it’s that they do continue to support and update Halo regularly. 

I mean put it this way, if they’d delayed the game again to include co-op and/or the other features missing at launch (forge I think) then we wouldn’t get to play it at all. 

It’s clearly very important this game launches before Christmas and no more delays. 

24 minutes ago, Stanley said:

It’s disappointing but if we have learned anything from 343 it’s that they do continue to support and update Halo regularly. 

I mean put it this way, if they’d delayed the game again to include co-op and/or the other features missing at launch (forge I think) then we wouldn’t get to play it at all. 

It’s clearly very important this game launches before Christmas and no more delays. 

Sure, I understand that for Xbox - which needs at least one big blockbuster type game to attract more attention to the console itself *and* to game pass - it's important that it launches this holiday. But it's surprising that it's clearly still not finished. Forge I can accept as something that follows later, but without co-op a Halo game for me is simply not Halo. It's a core part of the experience. Without it, it's arguably not even ready for an early access type launch. But they're not billing it as such even, just as a live game (uurgh) and this is the launch proper. And IMHO it's not proper.

I feel you, Halo means different things to different people - for me it’s mainly about the campaign with a smattering of Arena multiplayer and the like, for some it’s all about PVP, and for you it’s co-op, some might be into Forge, and so on.

I mean I can see the problems they’re faced with - first of all in producing a next gen game that also runs concurrently on older systems and PC, like 4 or 5 different specs at least and that’s before you even think about the various PC configurations. So there’s that. 

But Halo really does have a rich feature set compared to any other games of this type, I remember when Halo 3 came out and I couldn’t believe how much content there was, just insane. So I suppose something had to give and they’ve tried to prioritise what to keep and what they can afford to do without for a few months. Luckily co-op is only 3 months behind so at least that’s next on their list! 

The lack of couch co-op for Halo 5 is still bemoaned today. There being no co-op for Infinite launch is yet another sign that 343i aren't getting it right for release and spend too much dev time on theory-crafting a game and not actually building it.

Halo is a definitive co-op, buddy-up, LAN kind of game that blossomed thanks to the advent of Xbox Live. All of these features are launch essentials. The excuse of Infinite being a live game is trash, frankly. The single player won't be. Can't be.

On 20/08/2021 at 23:43, squirtle said:

Ha ha! I've never played the campaigns in Co op so I'm all good. 

Just to balance the whining up above. 

'Whining'. C'mon mate, I play the campaigns solo too, but it's clearly a big deal. Something is going wrong here. 

9 hours ago, Jolly said:

'Whining'. C'mon mate, I play the campaigns solo too, but it's clearly a big deal. Something is going wrong here. 

The recent beta was very well received, and they’ve confirmed split screen for launch (I think?) so I don’t think it’s a technical issue, they just need to get it balanced right.

I think it’s worth repeating that this game will be launching on four different console variants and PC simultaneously, Halo 5 was just one console, the original Xbox One, and no PC. It’s a logistical nightmare, so I imagine that more than anything, not to mention a global pandemic, is what’s held them up and resulted in features being dropped or postponed. 

I mean look how long it took to get The Masterchief Collection into the shape it’s in, and for the PC version to launch, add Reach etc. and there’s still no Halo 5 for PC. 

21 minutes ago, Stanley said:

and they’ve confirmed split screen for launch (I think?) so I don’t think it’s a technical issue, they just need to get it balanced right.

Doesn't Halo 5 also have split screen multiplayer? Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but if I'm right then having split screen mp doesn't say anything about the technical viability if split screen co-op either way because Halo 5 never had that.

It just says everything about where 343 is putting the focus. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Doesn't Halo 5 also have split screen multiplayer? Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but if I'm right then having split screen mp doesn't say anything about the technical viability if split screen co-op either way because Halo 5 never had that.

It just says everything about where 343 is putting the focus. 

Yeah I think you’re right actually, although I don’t know whether Halo 5 has split screen mp either I must admit. 

And yeah I agree they will be more focused on the single player campaign and the multiplayer, but that’s their bread & butter isn’t it, if they cut either of those for launch then they’d really be in trouble. 

I know it’s disappointing but it’s not as if they have cut it entirely, and they have said it will be 3 months, so with any luck you should be playing it by Jan/Feb, launch date permitting of course 😬

And speaking of launch dates, surely it has to be announced this week, they have no more excuses not to announce it now that we know the release dates for Battlefield, COD etc. if that’s what they were waiting on. 

I don't think the features they dropped are hugely important, what's important is they had to drop them in the first place, I mean we're kind of burying the lede here that they talked openly about delaying the game again on their stream, it's clearly still coming in hot/unfinished despite the extra year.

Really makes me wonder what they had last year that they were prepared to ship, when they couldn't even show it running on next-gen hardware.

That's the thing - it's also the second time 343 fumbled this arguably core aspect of Halo. When CE launched, playing co-op was one of the main things that blew everyone away. Ever since it always was a core part of the experience - until 343 came along, who made the first ever Halo game without split screen co-op and now the first ever Halo game that launches without any co-op at all. They can have their pr people ramble on how they consider co-op a core part of the Halo experience in theory, but in practice it's a completely different story.

2 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

I don't think the features they dropped are hugely important, what's important is they had to drop them in the first place, I mean we're kind of burying the lede here that they talked openly about delaying the game again on their stream, it's clearly still coming in hot/unfinished despite the extra year.

Really makes me wonder what they had last year that they were prepared to ship, when they couldn't even show it running on next-gen hardware.

Yeah I'm very curious what we would've gotten last year with the first release date. If it's still not finished at the end of this year, god knows what the game would have been like late last year. 

I really would love to know what happened during development. Working on the biggest Xbox ip there is with a massive team and a massive budget for 6 years and the end result is an early access title rushed out in a clearly unfinished state.

• Kryptonian changed the title to Halo Infinite - MP OUT NOW - Campaign 08/12/21, no spoilers pls