rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Unofficial Who

Anthony Bourdain has passed away.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/north-america/us-celebrity-chef-and-tv-host-anthony-bourdain-dead-at-61-cnn-20180608-p4zkgp.html

US celebrity Anthony Bourdain, host of CNN's food-and-travel-focused Parts Unknown television series, died in a French hotel room, CNN said on Friday, in the second high-profile suicide of a US celebrity this week. He was 61.

Bourdain was found dead in a hotel room in Strasbourg, France, where he had been working on an upcoming episode of his program, a CNN representative said in a statement.

Bourdain's profile began to soar in 1999, when the New Yorker magazine published his article "Don't Eat Before Reading This", which he developed into the 2000 book, Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly.

He went on to host television programs, first on the Food Network and the Travel Channel, before joining CNN in 2013.

"His love of great adventure, new friends, fine food and drink and the remarkable stories of the world made him a unique storyteller," the network said in a statement on Friday. "His talents never ceased to amaze us and we will miss him very much. Our thoughts and prayers are with his daughter and family at this incredibly difficult time."

I'm stunned. Can't believe it. Kitchen Confidential opened my eyes to how hard being a chef was.

:(

I'm still shocked by the news.

I was under the impression that he was exorcising his demons. He'd given up drugs, smoking, alcohol and taken up martial arts. I remember him writing about fantasising about committing suicide in his book Medium Raw, but that was years ago now.

I owe my love of travel to Anthony Bourdain. I think it was the Singapore episode of No Reservations that I knew I had to visit one day. I've been to many of the same restaurants and places he's recommended in his shows. He taught me to be curious of other places and cultures.

I hope he's up there exploring and eating his way through heaven.

“If you’re 22, physically fit, hungry to learn and be better, I urge you to travel; as far and as widely as possible. Sleep on floors if you have to. Find out how other people live and eat and cook. Learn from them; wherever you go.” - Anthony Bourdain

• Upvote 4

What a fucking kick in the nuts.

Pretty sure I liked this guy before anybody else did. If anyone else can talk to me about Jacques pepin, Ken hom and the galloping gourmet I might consider your claim to be a bigger fan than me. But I'm pretty sure I was Anthony Bourdain's very first proper fan. And he never changed since those days; the world just gradually cottoned on to how brilliant he was. Such a shame.