IGNORED

E3 2018: Xbox E3 Briefing

Boozy The Clown

Conference Review  

222 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I hope what's shown during the conference is better than the trailers above because none of those have interested me. Maybe Xbox isn't for me anymore... Though I'm sure if there's a new Halo I'll be back. 

12 minutes ago, Azrael said:

I hope what's shown during the conference is better than the trailers above because none of those have interested me. Maybe Xbox isn't for me anymore... Though I'm sure if there's a new Halo I'll be back. 

I think the chances of a new Halo are fairly high.

I''d like to see some new stuff as well though.  But being completely new IP I think that the hype for that won't be massive and people will say MS had another mediocre E3. 

Personally I'd be happy with some all new IP that works. Sadly Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break and Re-Core haven't done it for them. Sea of Thieves is gorgeous but needs more content.  State of Decay 2 needed more time in the oven. If those games had hit home critically then MS would have been in a much better space in terms of "platform exclusives". 

I think the next logical thing for MS to do is get Xbox 360 games running on PC's. It seems to be all about getting their game store up and running. That would be a nice little PR thing. 

This is the big one for me. MS have knocked it out of the park hardware wise with the One X, but they haven’t got the software to really make it shine at the moment.

I want a new Halo and I’d really like to see them putting their other studios to good use. Let Playground do something other than Horizon, let The Coalition do something non-Gears.

I was hoping Crackdown 3 would be this year and buy them some time to get new stuff out for 2019, but now that’s slipped I think they need something big for the end of the year and Forza Fantasy 15: Yet Another One isn’t going to cut it, as much as I love Horizon.

Yeah it’s a Fable reboot, question is if they deem it too early to show. A teaser would be nice though.

Our game (Trailmakers) should be in the ID@ Xbox montage, so that’s gonna be surreal to see.

Going into this with zero expectations, so the ball is in your court, MS. :)

Apart from hoping like everyone else that Microsoft has some unexpected surprises for us, I would be very happy with an enhanced, improved, abd completely fixed MCC alongside an enhanced Reach release. And other cool BC announcements are always welcome. This is probably the conference I'm looking forward to most, because Sony for example feels like a known quantity. Ubi will be Ubi, Nintendo will do its thing - but Microsoft has everything to prove and it still could go either way.

2 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

There's no way you'll see Halo 6 this year. 

A teaser for it this E3 with it launching in late 2019 is what to expect. 

I don't know. It's nearly 3 years since 5, which seems a reasonable amount of time to knock up a Halo game.

Halo: Combat Evolved - November 2001

Halo 2 - November 2004 (+3 years)

Halo 3 - September 2007 (+3 years)

Halo Reach - September 2010 (+3 years)

Halo 4 - November 2012 (+2 years)

Halo 5 - October 2015 (+3 years)

Halo 6 - 

ODST was released between 3 and Reach, but I think that was a secondary team.

Why are you so sure it won't be this year?

I suspect they would have at least said something about Halo 6 if it was to launch this year. Not even the slightest teaser. Have they even officially confirmed that they are working on it outside of us all assuming because of course they are? Anything is possible, but I wouldn't be surprised if MCC enhanced is their Halo thing for this year (with Reach plz) and a short CGI Halo 6 teaser is shown with a release date of late 2019. 

4 minutes ago, JPL said:

I don't know. It's nearly 3 years since 5, which seems a reasonable amount of time to knock up a Halo game.

Halo 6 - 

They've put a crap load more effort into MCC than they ever imagined they'd need to.  Enough to put back plans for Halo 6 significantly I'd guess. 

5 minutes ago, JPL said:

Halo 6 - 

They haven't said anything about a Halo sequel.

Nothing, and MS are not about to just shadow drop an announcement then release the game in 4 months time. 

It'll be the same pre-release strategy as every other Halo game - 

Announcement of game with a short CG trailer, no game-play footage. 

E3 2019 media blow out showing campaign and multiplayer footage, or whatever form the game takes. 

2019 September release. 

9 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Nothing, and MS are not about to just shadow drop an announcement then release the game in 4 months time. 

E3 2019 media blow out showing campaign and multiplayer footage, or whatever form the game takes. 

2019 September release. 

Not sure why we expect a full 18 months of tedious marketing. We’re all expecting them to announce FH4 for release in October and they don’t have to beta test the multiplayer this time.

11 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

2019 September release. 

What about Uncle Phil saying they won't be revealing games way in advance any more? This would be the perfect title to show off his strategy.

4 minutes ago, footle said:

Not sure why we expect a full 18 months of tedious marketing. We’re all expecting them to announce FH4 for release in October and they don’t have to beta test the multiplayer this time.

It might be the case that they announce Halo 6 and a release date of later this year, but certainly by all means watch this not even remotely happen this coming Sunday. 

They'll announce Halo 6 with a short CG announcement trailer, it will be released in 2019.

343 already said earlier in the year that we wouldn't see 6 this year but to expect something "different". Whatever that means.

"On the 343 blog, a community manager wrote: "2018 has arrived and with it, the promise of new fun times to be had and adventures to be embarked upon. No, not those adventures [seemingly a reference to mainline Halo games], but plenty of exciting ones regardless – some which might surprise you more than others."

Infinity is a renaming of MCC which includes Reach and 5, that's my bet.

2 hours ago, rafaqat said:

They've put a crap load more effort into MCC than they ever imagined they'd need to.  Enough to put back plans for Halo 6 significantly I'd guess. 

But that was farmed out to multiple external contractors, 343i itself didn't have to devote the bulk of their staff to working on it. More a good reason for not releasing one this year would be that they want to give them more time to get it to a higher quality level, as having to get out their biggest seller every 2/3 years is no better than what the big third party sequels get in terms of development time, which for a platform holder isn't really the bar you should be setting yourself, which should be best in class.

Some thoughts/wants/dreaming:

Game Pass to maybe include Gold?

Games with Gold to include OG Xbox games

Elite controller v2

Design Labs Elite controller

Something Sega related as they had a recent event where both teams visited each others studios... Backwards compatible Sega systems in a digital format?

A Nintendo crossover for Smash Bros/Killer Instinct Character swap? A new KI?

Nier Automata GOTY version speculated about with the original Nier backwards compatible

Cuddly Toy Battletoads!

An original Xbox game brought back to life, Crimson Skies, Bloodwake

Half Life 3

No VR

A montage of better Japanese support going forward

Some new IP

A new Ghouls N Ghosts

Guyver based vs Fighter from Arc System in the same style as their Hokuto no Ken

An Xbox Live Arcade revival where genuine legacy devs like Sunsoft, Irem, Treasure, G.Rev etc have a dedicated marketplace for new arcade titles (yeah I know I'm choc full of wonderful bankrupty ideas)

1 hour ago, Bojangle said:

343 already said earlier in the year that we wouldn't see 6 this year but to expect something "different". Whatever that means.

Infinity is a renaming of MCC which includes Reach and 5, that's my bet.

That "different" has maybe already been revealed a few weeks back: a Halo arcade light gun shooter. I shit you not.

17 minutes ago, mushashi said:

But that was farmed out to multiple external contractors, 343i itself didn't have to devote the bulk of their staff to working on it. More a good reason for not releasing one this year would be that they want to give them more time to get it to a higher quality level, as having to get out their biggest seller every 2/3 years is no better than what the big third party sequels get in terms of development time, which for a platform holder isn't really the bar you should be setting yourself, which should be best in class.

The initial release of MCC was farmed out, but 343i are now fixing it themselves. And from the way they're describing it, it's not so much fixing it as rebuilding the entire thing from the ground up. 

I found a post from their primary customer facing person from late October 2017, that shouldn't still affect development much of another Halo sequel as he mentioned that the Halo 5 team was completely separate anyway, so they should be able to do both of these things.

On Wednesday of this week, we announced that we’re both fixing MCC and working on enhancements for the Scorpio (Xbox One X) version of the game, but I should be clear here, that in terms of chicken/egg scenarios, fixing the existing “vanilla” Xbox One MCC was the Chicken that laid the Xbox One X enhanced version egg. Without the ability and opportunity to reconfigure and fix this thing, we wouldn’t touch an Xbox One update. But a series of changes to the Xbox architecture, some of them related to Xbox One X – and others just a series of ongoing improvements to the OS and back end networking systems, have cracked open an opportunity we’ve wanted to seize for many, many months now. So to be super clear, these fixes will apply to both regular Xbox One version and the Xbox One X enhancements.

We’re also getting a lot of help from the (wholly separate) Halo 5 team, who created a much more robust system for the launch of that game and continue to make improvements to their networking model.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/84ad72a8b51847978545f685f651fc15/topics/halo-mcc-what-happened-and-what-happens-next/32dd5e4a-1001-4aae-b51b-22c091e8d21a/posts

15 minutes ago, Revival said:

A montage of better Japanese support going forward

Some new IP

Just these two would probably be enough for me to finally pick an Xbox One. They really need something new to get me back.