rllmuk
Cyhwuhx

Tetris Effect - Mizuguchi does Tetris

4 hours ago, Vorgot said:

While I get it's exciting because it's the Rez guy, it's still Tetris. There is only so much you can do with it and even with (what will doubtless be) amazing graphics and sounds, it's still Tetris. 

Rez, Lumines and CoE are amazing, love them all to death, but this is different as they are confined by the basic building blocks of someone else's game. Not saying it won't be a great version of Tetris, because I am sure that it will, but a little bemused by the level of enthusiasm shown here. 

Rez, Lumines and CoE are all pretty simple games mechanically when you strip them down. I'm not sure I see an awful whole lot more going on in them that I do in Tetris.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jolly said:

Rez, Lumines and CoE are all pretty simple games mechanically when you strip them down. I'm not sure I see an awful whole lot more going on in them that I do in Tetris.

But they were built from the ground up to fit the experience, not fitting the experience to an existing game.

Don't get me wrong, not saying it won't be great, but will hold back the excitement until I hear some impressions of people playing it.

• Upvote 1

Tetris doesn't excite me in the least but combined with that presentation who cares? Rez and its family is all about being in the zone, immersed in the visuals, sounds and gameplay. Combine that with Tetris and you're talking about the ultimate "zone" game where you're completely in the spell of that world.

After recently playing Rez Area X, I'm already sold on the idea. The gameplay doesn't really matter, its the sensory overload that brought some people to tears when they first played Area X and from that excellent trailer that's what its all gonna be about. Those snare beats :wub:

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Vorgot said:

But they were built from the ground up to fit the experience, not fitting the experience to an existing game.

Don't get me wrong, not saying it won't be great, but will hold back the excitement until I hear some impressions of people playing it.

Yeah, and in fitting his own vision to existing games like Tempest and Defender, Jeff Minter added nothing to the experience...:rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

I would love this to have the evolution elements of REZ so start all basic and bleepy and end up at some full on 3D Tetris Breakout style and tie all together with human evolution somehow.

• Upvote 2

Watched this trailer something like 15 times now. I still well up every time. That humble Tetris block elevated to heavenly, shimmering glory. It's just so fucking celebratory.

Love how Tetris blocks are used to make up the letters in the 'Effect' part of the logo, too:

i.jpg  :wub:

• Upvote 7
  • Empathy 1

When the blocks first appeared I had a tinge of disappointment, but then then they all had a little dot in the middle that did a little pulse to something going on in the soundtrack. :wub:

24 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

I’ll get this of course, but a similarly updated Lunines would excite me a bit more.

And did we ever figure out where the tune on that trailer comes from?

According to one of the YouTube comments, the song is Fog on the Tyne by Paul Gascoigne :lol:

Shout out to all the perplexed Gen Z yootz who earnestly and excitedly look that one up.

• Upvote 8

That trailer is just so special :wub:  I keep coming back to it, too.

Mizuguchi, you wonderful man. If he'd only ever given us Sega Rally, he'd still be a legend!

E3 interview. As much as my purchase is locked in, I do wonder how I’ll be supposed to concentrate on what’s going on in the well with all that amazing VR stuff there to steal my attention and wonder away.

So, it doesn't just get faster and faster as you go along, like normal Tetris? I think that'd be horrible with what is going on. However, if the speed changes up based on the music,  that would be cool. 

I've got my pure Tetris fixes already, so something that is a bit more zen like is an ideal alternative.