Cyhwuhx

Tetris Effect - Mizuguchi does Tetris

25 minutes ago, robdood said:

For new players who may not have played tetris in a while, part of the rules is you'll always get on of each type of piece, in a randomised order, before a piece will duplicate.  So for e.g. you always know you're going to get an I piece every 7 blocks, at the worst. 

It could be every 14 blocks - if the I piece is the first in the bag of 7, and last in the next bag of 7 you will have a longer wait.

Just now, Darwock said:

It could be every 14 blocks - if the I piece is the first in the bag of 7, and last in the next bag of 7 you will have a longer wait.

Oh bums, yes of course! 

Fuck it, bought it. It's 26 and some change and Cdkeys are doing 35 quid of credit for 30 and it was either that or puyo puyo Tetris and I don't have any friends to play that against.

• Upvote 3

I have a good surround system, but the music itself isn't to my taste. And all the visual stuff is ... nice ... but you can't pay any attention to it because you're concentrating on the game ... the almost exact same game I played on the Gameboy back in the '90s. 

I'm filing this one under "over-hyped" and am so glad a demo swung round again. I can see why many people really love it, but it's definitely not for me. 

37 minutes ago, Thor said:

I have a good surround system, but the music itself isn't to my taste. And all the visual stuff is ... nice ... but you can't pay any attention to it because you're concentrating on the game ... the almost exact same game I played on the Gameboy back in the '90s. 

I'm filing this one under "over-hyped" and am so glad a demo swung round again. I can see why many people really love it, but it's definitely not for me. 

The point is that it’s in your perphipial vision (spelling!).

the track which most makes sense (New York jazz?) isn’t in the demo.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

I predict, come a sale of some description, Thor will buy this, play it in VR and do a complete turnaround on this statement. 

• Upvote 2

Played the demo of this (in vr) and, yeah, I don't think I'll bother. Unless is super cheap in a sale. Like Thor, I found the visuals difficult to take in because you're concentrating on the game. For instance Darwock says about the dolphins; I didn't notice any dolphins...

As for the music, while I liked the timing aspect of it, and did end up trying to time my button presses with the music, there is a slight delay between pressing the button and hearing the audio, so that was an annoyance.

And the style and vibe of the music generally wasn't to my taste either. I thought the "we're all connected" one and the rap one were a bit cheesy, kind of the auditory equivalent of one of those Live Laugh Love wall stencils. I did like the takatakatatatakka Indonesian monk one though. That was ace. Oh and the chanting women falafel one made me laugh, which I'm not sure they were going for.

If I were to characterise this game as a human, it would be a very earnestly spiritual woman who sells "aura-healing" crystal pendants at the local market.

Also it turns out I'm shit at Tetris. Couldn't even finish the journey part of the demo on normal. Had to do it on beginner. :facepalm:

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1
  • Empathy 2

There aren’t any dolphins in the demo, so it’s not surprising you didn’t notice them. There’s also no need to time your button presses to the music: there’s a tiny delay introduced where necessary to ensure it all lines up.

Ah well, that'll explain the dolphins. As for the timing thing, to begin with, I was just playing the game without trying to time it, but it sounded kind of messy, so I started consciously trying to time my button presses. But like you say, it sort of auto justifies it (not sure if that's the right term), but it frequently put the sound in one sixteenth beat after I intended it to go, so that disconnect became irritating to me after a while. I think I would prefer it to do the sound exactly when you press it, even if it's not exactly in time. But then I guess it really would sound messy.

I dunno, I suppose the key is to not think about it and just let it flow, man.

Holy Christ, the last level on this. Took me about 50 attempts one night to fail then one attempt the next evening to get through it but it was close and I am pretty sure it wasn't my conscious mind controlling the buttons at that point.

This was only on Normal.

I still have no idea how you get a good score. I think a C was my best.

• Upvote 1

It's almost a pity that one is pitched at such a high relative difficulty, as the music is pretty epic - but repeating it many times can take the shine off.

I picked this up in a Game sale at the weekend for £14.99. I've been looking for something to get me back into VR after a long lay-off.

A little underwhelmed at first but it's now got its claws into me. Absolutely wonderful once everything clicks. I've only payed it on Normal (Journey Mode) and when the speed started hitting 11 I just panicked. Never thought I would be able to handle it, but of course, the focus blinkers go on and you start slotting pieces in like D.A.R.Y.L playing Pole Position.

Only got the very last level to do. What next? Do other modes open up? What's recommended?

Also, I haven't even tried doing any of the zone stuff yet.

5 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

Only got the very last level to do. What next? Do other modes open up? What's recommended?

It's a score attack game so add some of us from the thread for friend scores to beat. You can start with me if you like.

6 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

There are a bunch of gameplay variants available in Effects Mode (timed challenges, "clear x lines" challenges, etc), and there's also a community challenge called the Weekly Ritual; this is active during weekends and it's a co-op/competitive thing; you can aim for high scores for the leaderboards, but as everyone plays they contribute to a "global score"; if that score reaches a certain amount, everyone gains bonus cosmetic avatars when they continue to play in Effects Mode. :) I have one or two Effects Mode things that I keep coming back to, and I do enjoy the Ritual events.

Oh man, I was up till 3.45am trying to finish that last level. 88 lines out of 90. Bastard. Feeling very sleepy today but don't regret a minute of it.

Will surely crack it soon then I can try the online challenges.