Cyhwuhx

Tetris Effect - Mizuguchi does Tetris

Playing Journey mode on expert was a much better experience for me than normal. I still think the game is slightly underwhelming but then I had very very high expectations. Playing expert means skins stay around for a lot longer and I don't skip through large transitions of the stage by getting 3 back to back Tetris.

In terms of the Miz list it's REZ > Space Channel 5 > Tetris Effect > Lumines > Child of Eden

Although it is worth noting that he wasn't the producer here, only responsible for original concept so he is clearly becoming more distant from his works ala SUDA51.

Sidenote: I really appreciate how focussed this game is with very little superfluous fat. It makes it very easy to jump into and just purely enjoyable rather than unlockable grinding. Confident design throughout.

• Upvote 2

I'd rate Tetris above Eden, but Rez above both games. Although Tetris could have been at the top if it had a more Rezzy approach to soundtrack and aesthetics, and Eden did have its highlights for me - I like the timed release mechanic, little moments like the breakdown before the Beauty boss really took me aback, and my own personal "scrape through the Passion boss with one pip of health" moment was one of the most heart-pounding experiences I've had in a Miz game!

(EDIT: the Lumi stuff was pretty cringey though)

(EDIT 2: I never gave Lumines or Every Extend a lot of time - SC5 is fine but I've never quite understood the huge love-in with that game...)

I'm stuck on that last 90 line level (easy). First time I somehow managed 83 but since then have not come close to it. I hate how it just SUDDENLY gets super fast at around 60. Any tips?

2 hours ago, Capwn said:

I'm stuck on that last 90 line level (easy). First time I somehow managed 83 but since then have not come close to it. I hate how it just SUDDENLY gets super fast at around 60. Any tips?

Learn to tap spin to gather your thoughts, use your power when you're in trouble rather than trying for as many lines as possible.

Been playing quite a bit of this and am quite underwhelmed by the VR element. In fact I’m finding it easier and a lot more fun in regular 2D with some decent headphones so far. Which is basically a pretty Tetris revamp.

Am I missing something? A soul perhaps?

On 29/12/2018 at 15:50, Capwn said:

Same here, only I'm stuck at Celebration. Playing on beginner and also hate the massive increase in speed at 20/30.

2 hours ago, alex3d said:

Same here, only I'm stuck at Celebration. Playing on beginner and also hate the massive increase in speed at 20/30.

This may sound mad, but worked really well for me....play Ultra in Effect Modes back to back, I can only last until the first speed change but it gets you used to handling keeping the pieces moving / spinning as they almost settle.

6 hours ago, Darwock said:

Ultra? There aren't any speed changes in that mode, did you perhaps mean Master?

Ah yes since the speed starts at M1 so must be Master mode :)

It's from bottom to top though...

I've still not been able to beat Celebration on beginner, FFS! :( My girlfriend is failing too even though she's better at Tetris.

I’m getting a bit better but I’m still not very good.  I managed to beat my record in Master mode last night and got a slightly better score in Marathon (unlimited) can’t remember what it was but I had somewhere around 180 lines.

I still don’t understand T-spins and how to get points from them. I’m pretty much limited in going for back-to-back Tetrises. Do I score higher if I get them in consecutive drops (as well as back-to-back)? Also, I’m still using only one button for rotate. I’ve never got used to having 2 rotate buttons (the oldest versions I played only had one button).

19 minutes ago, Monkeyspill said:

I still don’t understand T-spin

Have a look at Jonsters video in this post. You can see how they use rotate to effectively tuck tetriminos into spaces they shouldn't be able. Like the four bar at the beginning, which slots underneath.

It also has some absolutely cracking tspins in it, using particular patterns to create them on the right.

Yeah, it's way too fast and complex for me at this point in time.

As for those T-Spins: do I just press Circle to keep them rotating? 

Yep. And try to get used to using both rotation buttons. I also grew up on one button rotate so I'm trying to break the habit. It really helps when things get fast to rotate either direction.

The basic concept of Tspin is pretty simple really, just imagine it as you moving one square around the clock, essentially the rest of the piece stays in the same place. I've managed to pull off a few but actively planning it requires a mastery I'm nowhere near yet. Modes like mystery are good for pulling them off due to bombs leaving weird holes you can try and plug.

I broke the million point barrier last night!

Featuring: some very clean play for 4 minutes and some of the sloppiest play you’ll see for the other 4 minutes.

• Upvote 1

At around GBP25, this seems quite steep for what is essentially Tetris. I'm thinking of waiting for a good sale price on it. Or am I stupid and it's worth the asking price?

• Empathy 1

On 05/01/2019 at 08:06, Monkeyspill said:

I’m pretty much limited in going for back-to-back Tetrises. Do I score higher if I get them in consecutive drops (as well as back-to-back)? Also, I’m still using only one button for rotate. I’ve never got used to having 2 rotate buttons (the oldest versions I played only had one button).

If you make two Tetrises in a row with consecutive I pieces you’ll get the back-to-back bonus as well as a smaller combo bonus. If you’re going the pure Tetris making route saving an I piece in the Hold queue until you get another is the best way to maximise score.