Tetris Effect & Connected - PS4 joins on July 4th

Just now, Halo said:

In Connected mode

Reveal hidden contents

Hide Field in Area 4

kills me every time. So difficult!

Need to "Git good" ;)   I played through Journey mode on normal, then expert, straight through, first time each... I'm not in the same eague as @sir stiff_one or @Jonster, but I think I'm pretty good, I'd never used the hold mechanic until playing Tetris 99, and even then, I was reluctant to get used to it, but now I struggle to play GB Tetris or the classic mode on this, just so used to swapping blocks out.

I'd recommend getting some practice in with the "Combo" mode in the effects section, it's really helped my game no end, add me if you're not already, Gt is in my si, apart from Yakuza Zero which I've been playing this weekend, my Series X has basically been a Tetris Effect machine !!

7 hours ago, MikeBeaver said:

I'd recommend getting some practice in with the "Combo" mode in the effects section, it's really helped my game no end, add me if you're not already, Gt is in my si, apart from Yakuza Zero which I've been playing this weekend, my Series X has basically been a Tetris Effect machine !!

I like your taste. I have to get back into Tetris Effect after playing 80+ hours of Dragon Quest XI the last few weeks. I also have Yakuza: Like a Dragon lined-up but that one has to wait until I complete some smaller gamers in the meantime. 

46 minutes ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

I like your taste. I have to get back into Tetris Effect after playing 80+ hours of Dragon Quest XI the last few weeks. I also have Yakuza: Like a Dragon lined-up but that one has to wait until I complete some smaller gamers in the meantime. 

My first Yakuza game, I've started Control and Jedi Fallen order, but neither kept me coming back, Tetris kept drawing me away, but 0 has managed to keep me off Tetris almost all weekend, I barely registered 5 rounds on the Saturday challenge, last week I played so much I was 7th overall !

DQ XI is tasty, played it through in hand held on the Switch :p

I managed to complete Journey mode on Normal. That last level, where it suddenly jumps to speed 13, is a bit bloody hairy. Still managed it, but by the skin of teeth.

Now, do I try to do it all again on Expert, or should I focus on improving my rank for each cluster?

2 hours ago, Jamie John said:

I managed to complete Journey mode on Normal. That last level, where it suddenly jumps to speed 13, is a bit bloody hairy. Still managed it, but by the skin of teeth.

Now, do I try to do it all again on Expert, or should I focus on improving my rank for each cluster?

Play it on Expert, all the way through, think it took me almost a couple of hours straight, can't tell.... the timer stops at 59:59 :

I bought this, along with loads of other top PSVR titles ages ago. Stuff like Astro Bot and Blood and Truth etc. I have the OG PSVR, the none HDR one, and I was enjoying Spider Man at the time on my very decent at HDR TV. I then tried TLoU2 and soon onto Ghost of Tsushima, all fantastic HDR games.

I just couldn't be arsed going around the back of the TV and fiddling with cables in and out so the PSVR sat unloved yet filled with top software experiences. 

Long story short, I pondered a V2 PSVR several times but knew it would be a ball ache to pass on the V1 and I'm not so well off as to cupboard a perfectly working piece of tech, so I purchased a switch box and decided to sacrifice a HDMI input for the V1. That too has sat for months. I just couldn't face the back of my TV with its myriad of wires (that I'd cable tied and then wrapped in some form of velcro tidy sleeves from Amazon).

I've just bought some Philips interactive lighting that needs to be installed around the back of the TV so decided it was time to sort out my PSVR. Fuck me was it murder. Something I'd surmised would take an hour turned into an all day job. All wires pulled from sockets, air compressor and dust buster put into action, dust cloths, I always give around there a clean but not like yesterday, yesterday morphed into crazy thorough, trial and error re cabling and HDMI insertion. Absolute nightmare. The back of the TV is one scary fucking place for someone who likes to have several machines on the go, plus several other bits of tech about.

Anyway, it's done and after I fit these new Philips lights I've decided the first thing I'm going to do (after watching them flash for a bit) is fire up Tetris Effect. I've been wanting to play it more than any other unplayed game. Love Mizuguchi.

On 11/01/2021 at 22:09, Jamie John said:

I'm currently still chipping away at Journey mode on Expert. To think that I was complaining about speed 13 before...

23 minutes ago, sir stiff_one said:

Attempt normal levels if you want to learn more about the mechanics. I trust you’ve learned roughly how it all works now. The effect modes are all very good training at different aspects of the game. 

Pretty much, I think - I'm still trying to force myself to use both buttons to rotate, not just one, but apart from that I've got the basics down.

Anyway, I'm onto the last stretch of levels now before Metamorphosis. I was listening to the Cane and Rinse podcast on the game yesterday and they mentioned that, on Expert

Spoiler

the final 30 lines are at speed 20! Can't say I'm looking forwards to that, but we'll see.

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

Pretty much, I think - I'm still trying to force myself to use both buttons to rotate, not just one, but apart from that I've got the basics down.

Anyway, I'm onto the last stretch of levels now before Metamorphosis. I was listening to the Cane and Rinse podcast on the game yesterday and they mentioned that, on Expert

Reveal hidden contents

the final 30 lines are at speed 20! Can't say I'm looking forwards to that, but we'll see.

I needn't have worried - did it on my first try.

Spoiler

image.png.299008c2b4a95ed95b0008ef76ac53f2.png

Cor. I'm humble bragging, and I doubt it'll seem that much of an achievement to most, but for someone who's never really played Tetris before much at all, I'm dead chuffed with that. Quite proud of myself, in fact.

I have transcended. The tetronimoes and I are as one.

image.thumb.png.02cb4c42fe6b512d9d7759879b86e945.png

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh.

Right, what mode is best to play next? I've been playing this on Oculus so far but I take it the Game Pass version is where the action is?

Add me, so I can be intimidated by your high scores and probably never play the game again: Jamie John 1990.

47 minutes ago, sir stiff_one said:

I’ve taken a break to watch some TV.

I can’t see myself beating Jonster’s Marathon score, but I do enjoy chilling out in that mode. 

I've started lunch and am doing post, THEN I'll start, what are the Effect modes this weekend? I usually only play the poison block or combo modes if I can help it.

Does anyone here play the multiplayer modes much, as opposed to just leaderboard rivalling? I've played the Connected 3 vs 1 multiplayer mode a bit tonight and it's quite good fun. There's an event at the moment where a fourth player gets to control the 'Boss'. Is this just a one off, then, or is there a normally a mode where you can do that - play as the boss?

14 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Does anyone here play the multiplayer modes much, as opposed to just leaderboard rivalling? I've played the Connected 3 vs 1 multiplayer mode a bit tonight and it's quite good fun. There's an event at the moment where a fourth player gets to control the 'Boss'. Is this just a one off, then, or is there a normally a mode where you can do that - play as the boss?

I've played 3v1 once, since then , I cant get a game, just endless lobby sitting :(

The other modes on Vs, yeah, I quite like all of them , except Classic, I'm not playing it again, I like my 100% win rate too much :lol:

5 minutes ago, MikeBeaver said:

I've played 3v1 once, since then , I cant get a game, just endless lobby sitting :(

The other modes on Vs, yeah, I quite like all of them , except Classic, I'm not playing it again, I like my 100% win rate too much :lol:

I just got a game on 3 vs the AI but it took a while. I can get games pretty easily in the 3 vs 1 other player as the boss mode, though.

I had a go at score attack and got schooled three times in a row, ha. I thought I'd be in with a chance after beating Journey on expert, but that's all about survival whereas score attack is all about... score. They're quite different beasts.

Ha, thanks :) 

Boss mode (player can be the boss) is saturdays only. It’s fun. It’s hard to get a game in the 3 vs AI in my experience but I have managed to clear them all. You can see leaderboards for the online modes in that section.

Loving this! I've mainly been playing multiplayer, surprised i beat some many higher ranks, my win/lose ration is incredibly good which i thought was a bit odd.

I wish the music changed up a little during multiplayer like the campaign does though.

Right, I've hit my limit I think, finally dusted off the Lvl 100 achievement, but there is NO way I will be getting the final few on S rank to make it to the cool 1000 GS, I'm just not good enough, even knocking 7 seconds off my Sprint time, down to 1:19 from 1:26 still doesn't net me an S rank, and there are a couple others that just have not clicked, so yeah, I'm tapping out from my fervent Tetris'ing for a while, I've played nearly 7 days of it, so I've had a damn good run at it :)

How do you score big on Ultra? Is it a case of getting as many Tetrises as possible in the time, or do you need to learn how to get T-Spins and all-clears?

I'm currently on a high score of about 16,000 and am at the point where I can build with no holes for the full three minutes, keeping the right-hand column clear for I-blocks, but even if I was able to do that really fast, I doubt I'd be able to get higher than 20,000 points because there's always an element of RNG involved with when and how frequently the I-blocks appear. @Jonster's score is nuts. It's a shame you can't see replays of other player's record-winning runs to see  their techniques.

41 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

How do you score big on Ultra? Is it a case of getting as many Tetrises as possible in the time, or do you need to learn how to get T-Spins and all-clears?

I'm currently on a high score of about 16,000 and am at the point where I can build with no holes for the full three minutes, keeping the right-hand column clear for I-blocks, but even if I was able to do that really fast, I doubt I'd be able to get higher than 20,000 points because there's always an element of RNG involved with when and how frequently the I-blocks appear. @Jonster's score is nuts. It's a shame you can't see replays of other player's record-winning runs to see how they their techniques.

You can see replays if someone recorded their run, I definitely recorded my earlier 1:20 sprint run, it'll be on my dashboard, I tend to randomly hit record ( the old way,via the dashboard,  because I am a ludite ), so there should be a few passable efforts worth watching, none are as good as @sir stiff_one or @Jonster though I'm afraid.

2 hours ago, MikeBeaver said:

Right, I've hit my limit I think, finally dusted off the Lvl 100 achievement, but there is NO way I will be getting the final few on S rank to make it to the cool 1000 GS, I'm just not good enough, even knocking 7 seconds off my Sprint time, down to 1:19 from 1:26 still doesn't net me an S rank, and there are a couple others that just have not clicked, so yeah, I'm tapping out from my fervent Tetris'ing for a while, I've played nearly 7 days of it, so I've had a damn good run at it :)

You only have to get under 1.10 I think!

2 hours ago, Jamie John said:

I'm currently on a high score of about 16,000 and am at the point where I can build with no holes for the full three minutes, keeping the right-hand column clear for I-blocks, but even if I was able to do that really fast, I doubt I'd be able to get higher than 20,000 points because there's always an element of RNG involved with when and how frequently the I-blocks appear. @Jonster's score is nuts. It's a shame you can't see replays of other player's record-winning runs to see how they their techniques.

The RNG is random 7 bag so you have all the pieces you need to always score tetrises. With ultra you need to be quick and yeah throw back to back t spins and tetrises down. Jonsters score is great. I’m not even close.

3 hours ago, Jamie John said:

It's a shame you can't see replays of other player's record-winning runs to see  their techniques.

2 hours ago, MikeBeaver said:

You can see replays if someone recorded their run

So I recorded a run to give an idea as to what happened in my run. It's not the record though and is a bit sloppy as it's 1AM, I'm out of practice, and using a new controller :lol:

Also apologies for some of the audio quality, it's come from the actual capture rather than when I editted it down to just the finished run, so can't fix it either.

Edit: Just looked through my old videos and found an old, better run that had previously been uploaded. Without watching it all though, it will be pretty much the same :lol:

Spoiler

Cheers @Jonster! Thanks for taking the time. What you're doing actually looks quite straightforward, even if it's no doubt taken you hundreds of hours of practice to be able to do it that fluidly, but it gives me a good starting point. Evidently, T-Spins are where the big points are.

What about Sprint, then - is it more efficient to leave a column open and go for Tetrises, or just build and clear as quickly as you possibly can, regardless of how many lines you're clearing at once?

• Cyhwuhx changed the title to Tetris Effect & Connected - PS4 joins on July 4th