IGNORED

Tetris Effect Connected - Cross-platform ON

Cyhwuhx

13 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Has anyone got any tips for how to get better at Ultra mode in this? The one where you have to get as high a score as possible in 3 minutes. At the moment I'm stuck on around 15,000, which is B rank. My strategy is to leave the right-most column free for I blocks to get tetrises, but even if I do that consistently and don't fuck up the rest of my wall, I just can't seem to drop them quickly enough. Is it all just practice, or do I need to learn how to T-spin?

Unless you can do that tactic fast enough to get an S or SS rank in sprint mode, you’re going to need to learn T-spins.

I did it myself a couple of months ago - there’s a video on the previous page. Edit - oh, new page. Make that two pages ago then.

I feel a bit guilty to keep using this thread as my personal progress log now that someone else has posted on it, ha. I’m still going to though.

Just over three seconds to find now. I hadn’t got close to the previous record until this one appeared out of nowhere. This whole process has been really mysterious as I just don’t know where the improvements are coming from. At least I can stop questioning my stacking methods etc at this point and just keep trying to do it better.

edit - just noticed it gives my time as 1:13.34 but the record as 1:13.33. Odd.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven’t done it yet, but over the holidays I improved by a further second to reach 1:12.33. On Hogmanay my line clears per minute reached 27, and drops per minute climbed from 72 to 75. I’m fairly confident in saying that was fast enough to do it, but after the new year I tanked way back down to 25/71.

Just today I built it back up and landed two 1:11 records in the same session. My averages are still lower than they were though. So after this I promise not to post in this thread again unless I’ve beaten the 70 second mark. It’s so damn close.

One other thing that happened was on Boxing Day, the event category was classic mode so all my sprint attempts got counted, and it ended like this:

E8BAD1DA-CD2D-49C1-B006-74F9778BB9CD.jpeg

• 5 weeks later...

It took me a month to knock that down to 1:10.26, and I was sure it would take another month to get that last couple of tenths.

Then out of the blue…

Would you believe I forgot about Mystery mode though? So still no platinum ><

edit - a bit of analysis now that I’ve had a chance to calm down. After that round my lines per minute are at 27.32 (which is not my best, I reached 28 before) and the drops per minute is at 77.36 (which *is* my best). Looking at the video, I still screwed up the placement with a couple of pieces, one of which I fixed with a soft drop - unbelievable that I had time to do that and still break the record. I think that indicates that staying calm and keeping the pace up is of far more importance than getting things perfect. In the global sprint rankings I am only 1,544th - I placed higher with nearly all my other SS ranks. This was fairly obviously the hardest challenge by far for me, to the point that I regularly had to force myself to keep going as I was sure I would never do it. But in relative terms it seems like most people don’t struggle that much with it! Personally I feel like I’ve climbed a gaming Mt. Everest - I can remember how it felt when I was putting in 2+ minute times and the thought of being able to go under 70 seconds seemed inhuman. Also I still haven’t really mastered it. @sir stiff_one told me last year that Sprint was a massive grind, and that’s really all it was. I unlocked the ability to go faster somewhere along the way but most of my attempts still end in failure or A rank (sometimes even B). You just have to be willing to keep playing until you get that outlier record time.

Also of note is that I picked up a lightweight wired Hori controller a few months ago that I used exclusively for this, as the buttons felt more suitable for the challenge than the DS4. I can see the wear on it is mostly around the ‘option’ button from hitting restart so often - very lucky I didn’t restart when I had to do that soft drop, as I normally would have.

One last thing - my total playtime is now showing as 0.00. I must have hit the clock limit, lol. Last I recall it was approaching 600 hours, but that was after my PlayStation broke and I lost a save with a considerable chunk of time on it.

• 1 month later...

…and that’s the platinum. My 50th as it happens, and definitely the one I’ve had to put the most effort into. I never thought I’d see the day.

I took a break after the Sprint SS to play other things, and just came back to it this week. I really wish I hadn’t left Mystery until last, as it is so frustrating. The game just decides ‘you’re going to lose now’ regardless of how well you have been doing until that point. In about a dozen attempts yesterday I only got to the end once, and my score was 80K short of the required total for SS. I know you have to make the most of the double point gold effect when it comes, but you rarely have an organized layout ready to go because of all the other shite you have to deal with. If you take too long setting up a T-spin/Tetris the gold phase just ends and you’ve wasted it.

So I resorted to doing it on endless mode today, and cleared it on the second attempt. I still have to watch the video back to see if I actually went beyond 150 line clears. I’ll be really annoyed if I didn’t. I want to do it normally too just to have all the SS ranks lined up nicely in the menu.

(edit - just checked - I passed the 400K for SS at 132 lines… Game over at 153. FFFUUUUUUUUUU)

As well as that small niggle, I also have 199/200 avatars collected - missing just one of the event awards. So I will be coming back to it for sure. For now though, I want to get back to my first love - Lumines - which I haven’t played in 4 years because I didn’t want to mess with my Tetris process.

(I was curious if the skills I picked up here would transfer to that game; did a quick go on each of the three time attack modes in Lumines and smashed all my records on the first attempt, so that’s probably a yes.)

P.S. screw you stiffone for mentioning a sub-60 second sprint time! I won’t be drawn back in y’hear me! 

10 minutes ago, Darwock said:

…and that’s the platinum. My 50th as it happens, and definitely the one I’ve had to put the most effort into. I never thought I’d see the day.

I took a break after the Sprint SS to play other things, and just came back to it this week. I really wish I hadn’t left Mystery until last, as it is so frustrating. The game just decides ‘you’re going to lose now’ regardless of how well you have been doing until that point. In about a dozen attempts yesterday I only got to the end once, and my score was 80K short of the required total for SS. I know you have to make the most of the double point gold effect when it comes, but you rarely have an organized layout ready to go because of all the other shite you have to deal with. If you take too long setting up a T-spin/Tetris the gold phase just ends and you’ve wasted it.

So I resorted to doing it on endless mode today, and cleared it on the second attempt. I still have to watch the video back to see if I actually went beyond 150 line clears. I’ll be really annoyed if I didn’t. I want to do it normally too just to have all the SS ranks lined up nicely in the menu.

(edit - just checked - I passed the 400K for SS at 132 lines… FFFUUUUUUUUUU)

As well as that small niggle, I also have 199/200 avatars collected - missing just one of the event awards. So I will be coming back to it for sure. For now though, I want to get back to my first love - Lumines - which I haven’t played in 4 years because I didn’t want to mess with my Tetris process.

(I was curious if the skills I picked up here would transfer to that game; did a quick go on each of the three time attack modes in Lumines and smashed all my records on the first attempt, so that’s probably a yes.)

P.S. screw you stiffone for mentioning a sub-60 second sprint time! I won’t be drawn back in y’hear me! 

Dude getting the platinum on this stunning game is quite the achievement, well done!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 14/04/2022 at 20:00, Spoonman said:

A couple of videos...

A recent-ish clear:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1258049209

Last night:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1455078915?t=02h01m55s

We should play connected sometime, right?! :)

Are you playing on switch or PlayStation? I’ll drop you a friend request on PSN. Since I stepped away from the game a bit my skills have just withered away though. Seems if you don’t use it, you lose it.

I’ve been on 199/200 avatars for a long time, only missing one event reward avatar. I’m very keen to complete the set so I play every weekend. They lowered the goal requirements a while back but even so it’s been getting closer and closer to failing. This last Sunday I checked in the morning and projecting ahead we were on course to fail by just over an hour, so I started caning it. We cleared it about one hour ahead of the deadline, and I was the 2nd highest contributor.

Very glad to put the effort in because that was the one I was missing. If we had failed it would have been another year before it came up again.

I’ve only missed two events since launch, once when my PS4 got a corrupted HDD and once when I was on holiday. The holiday was back in the days when the community regularly failed, and the HDD failure was quite recent so I think that it probably wasn’t possible to complete the set until that last weekend.