Tetris Effect Connected - Cross-platform ON

Cyhwuhx

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve just updated on PS5. And it’s somehow changed from the actual game into a “soundtrack sampler”.

So when I try to start what looks like the game, I get a message telling me “the music directory could not be found” followed by another telling me to “please exit the application”.

I’ve got no idea why this has happened or how to fix it. I’m tired of this shit. I’ve had enough of farting around trying to get PS5 versions of games actually onto the PS5 - and now I can’t work out how to get an actual game rather than a “soundtrack sampler.”

edit: I figured it out but it wasn’t in any way obvious. 

Top Zone Battle games with @Paulando just now - he clearly had the better plays but there was some real back-and-forth! I also noticed that he was way better at disgusting Zone setups whilst I just raced to get bits and pieces in "realtime" as quickly as possible. :D 

Also having a lot of fun with the "Connected" co-op mode - when you're in a decent group there are some great setups. :) 

Aye, nice few games @Qazimod! Had to leave it there because my hands were starting to ache 🤣 You ran away with a load of wins at the beginning, but happy I got a few back towards the end.

It’ll be interesting to figure out the best strategies for it, because what works in single player mode doesn’t seem to work online.

Nice to see there’s a co-op mode too!

3 minutes ago, Paulando said:

Aye, nice few games @Qazimod! Had to leave it there because my hands were starting to ache 🤣 You ran away with a load of wins at the beginning, but happy I got a few back towards the end.

It’ll be interesting to figure out the best strategies for it, because what works in single player mode doesn’t seem to work online.

Nice to see there’s a co-op mode too!

Is this cross play? Take it you lot are on PS4/5, if it's cross play, I'd be up for some games as I'm on Xbox, but do love me some Connected and tetris 99 ;)

Finally got to play it! 

Competitive Tetris can do one, get the fuck back to being an Xbox exclusive for all I care. Everything I loved about this game gets the crap kicked out of it when you turn it into a competition. Where’s my uplifting music and soothing visuals? Why am I not enjoying this? Cos it’s frustrating and shit. I know there is a market for that type of play and Tetris effect probably had to get onboard with it or become obsolete, but it made me a bit sad to play given it’s such a radically different experience to what this game has been. Not saying that just because I suck at it and don’t understand why I keep losing.

I did get massively hooked into the co-operative mode, even though it seems stupidly hard. When team members opt not to continue are they replaced by an AI? People were clicking exit but then still there in the next round.

I’m still more interested in the vanilla game, and my hopes that this update would boost numbers for the weekly rituals were dashed when I saw it’s a completely separate thing, and everyone has been pulled into the new modes meaning it’s actually even less likely to succeed now. Doh. I only have 5 of the 200 avatars left to get, and they are all event ones.

I'm sure it's been mentioned before but the revival mechanic is really opaque and not obvious at all when playing. This is how it works:

Revive

If a player tops out during the Attack phase, they enter a Revive state where they can tap along to the rhythm of the stage music to revive themselves by filling a gauge indicated by the background shading of their playfield. The remaining player(s) can also accelerate revival of dead players by performing Tetris and T-Spin line clears. Once the Revive gauge has been filled, the player becomes active again with an empty playfield.

I quite like the Co-op mode though and it gets suitably difficult but you do definitely need three good players capable of getting S Rank or higher for the later challenges!

29 minutes ago, MW_Jimmy said:

I'm sure it's been mentioned before but the revival mechanic is really opaque and not obvious at all when playing. This is how it works:

I quite like the Co-op mode though and it gets suitably difficult but you do definitely need three good players capable of getting S Rank or higher for the later challenges!

I'm game... I've got S on almost everything ;) 

Thanks for the info @MW_Jimmy - I kind of figured out the rhythm tapping and the background, but I wasn’t sure about the Tetris/T-Spin stuff until now.

If anyone’s arranging co-op sessions, I’m still attempting Area 5, so any assistance would be welcome. :) 

I don't think you need to spoiler that! I'm up for some Area 5 tonight - I almost beat it a couple of times yesterday but the third one takes some effort. Had a round of revivals and still didn't make it.

I'll send you both a DM and see if we can get a time to play.

I really don’t understand how to not lose. I can have faster line clears, more zone clears, and a higher score but I lose the round. The tutorial says that when you clear a line it goes into a little reserve bar on the side - what is it that triggers that to turn into junk lines on the opponents side? 

On 24/08/2021 at 12:50, Darwock said:

I really don’t understand how to not lose. I can have faster line clears, more zone clears, and a higher score but I lose the round. The tutorial says that when you clear a line it goes into a little reserve bar on the side - what is it that triggers that to turn into junk lines on the opponents side? 

You mean on zone battle?

The only important thing on zone battle is how much junk you send. So t spins or tetrises, back to backs, perfect clears, long combos and ideally all of these in big spikes. Winning with a steady stream of line clears is going to be hard. Watching your opponent screen and seeing when they are in trouble or about to launch a load of lines at you is a bonus too. Only clear singles, doubles and triples if you need to to get out of trouble.

They’ve apparently recognized that the new modes were drawing players away from the weekly event and lowered the targets again. Only 200,000 now for classic mode, crazy to think that it used to be 1,000,000 and was getting cleared easily.

I also noticed that since the update Roger Dean’s logo has been replaced with some generic shitty thing, and the credit to him has been removed. Load of shite.

1 hour ago, Darwock said:

They’ve apparently recognized that the new modes were drawing players away from the weekly event and lowered the targets again. Only 200,000 now for classic mode, crazy to think that it used to be 1,000,000 and was getting cleared easily.

I also noticed that since the update Roger Dean’s logo has been replaced with some generic shitty thing, and the credit to him has been removed. Load of shite.

It was only when I played Tetris 99 that I realised he designed the Tetris logo. Mind blown. Poor show that they've replaced it.

Question - how do you force pieces to break apart (similar to Lumines) when you place them in Connected mode?

I’ve noticed people doing this when the screens merge (which is basically Zone mode right?) - they will put a piece partially over a gap and it will break and fill the gap. I think to myself “I’ll do that!” but my piece remains intact and blocks anyone else from using the gap. Doh! Sometimes a few drops later it will just collapse by itself, so I’m missing a trick.

Are you talking about the purple glowing pieces that you sometimes get? Those have two uses: you can place them above a gap and it will break, with blocks falling into the gap. Also, if those falling blocks land on other blocks that are above a gap, it will push those down. So in the below image, blocks from the purple S piece will break apart and drop that unwanted red block into the gap there.

Tetris-Effect-Connected-Screenshot-4-102

• 2 weeks later...

I beat that motherfucking Tetramidion boss from stage 5 tonight, at long last! The challenge was turning into a lengthy war, most of the time I was the weakest link of whichever teammates I had (not always) so it wasn’t unusual to see SS, A, SS on the final screen, which of course makes it look like the failure is all my fault. I don’t accept it’s that straightforward though, because there were a surprising number of SS ranked players who don’t do a damn thing to try and revive when they get killed. Do they really not know?

(there’s a visual clue as well as following the music btw, when the shrinking circle gets to the smallest point is when you need to tap the button)

It was starting to get ugly after I got one repeat team mate that suicided himself as soon as the match started (after I joined as the last person). He then left the two of us to it and just spectated. Dick. Had to dodge him a couple more times after.

So our winning team had one guy that was ridiculously fast, me, and another guy who was just a bit slower than me. We failed it two times with SS, A, A and I felt sure the expert player was going to bail on us, but he didn’t and third time we kicked the shit out of it with SS, S, S. We were lucky that our deaths were staggered to give each of us a chance to revive - the hairiest moment was when the expert’s well was already topped out but we were both still reviving - he managed to tread water by just spinning pieces while we kept up the tapping rhythm, even while the boss was throwing the worst possible stuff at him. My other team mate revived in the nick of time and he died one beat later. Doesn’t get any closer than that.

Congratulations! I've tried with many players and just can't seem to get the luck. Indeed, I've been both the only one alive and the first to die on the last section.

I'm still not sure if the majority of players realise that you *have* to have a three-way attack to beat him otherwise there is just no point.

Also the game should be making it crystal clear on how to revive. It's a really opaque mechanism and I am not surprised that I come across so many players that just don't understand it.

Three years on and I’m still showing signs of getting better, albeit very slowly - I finally got an SS rank for Combo mode tonight. My previous best was 108, and I broke that record three times today - 111, 115 (both S rank) and finally 123. I wonder if doing the co-op mode upped my game a little.

I still have the following to SS:

Target (I think it’s do-able)

Mystery (seems to be pot luck)

…and then all 4 classic modes (Marathon, Sprint, Ultra and Master).

If I can get down to just the 4 classic modes I’m going to be compelled to go for the trophy, impossible though it seems. I haven’t done better than A in any of those so far. Last year I wouldn’t have guessed I would get even this far though.

…and that’s the SS for Target mode done - right on the cusp with 30 clears. I could probably have got one more to equal @sir stiff_one’s record but I lost focus on realizing I’d cleared it and wasted my last few seconds.

Right. Now I need some encouragement, because it seems like the classic mode SS requirements are another scale above anything I’ve done so far. If I could SS the rest, is it likely that I can do these four? Because the fastest I’ve ever gone is 1m39 which is only good enough for an A, and I don’t see any light at the end of that tunnel.

As for Mystery mode, would I be right in thinking there’s no point trying to SS this until I’ve at least done regular Marathon? The score requirement is the same but Mystery obviously makes it much more of a struggle.