rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
JohnC

Addams Family - animated film

There was an old thread about a Tim Burton animated version, but this is not that. It's a CG animation from the directors of Sausage Party.

If you're still here, they've lined up Oscar Isaac as Gomez, Charlize Theron as Morticia, Nick Kroll as Uncle Fester, Chloe Grace Moretz as Wednesday, Finn Wolfhard as Pugsley, Bette Midler as Grandmama and Allison Janney as their archnemesis Margaux Needler.

The animated action-comedy will follow the creepy and kooky family as they face off against a crafty reality-TV host while also preparing for their extended family to arrive for a major celebration, Addams-style.

Due on 11 October 2019.

mktfamilyportraitdesignsurf_-_publicity_

The original Charles Addams cartoons are great; if it does stick to that style, it might be OK. But I'm not optimistic.

Jaysus, that's fucking horrible. The Raul Julia / Angelica Houston movies are in my top 25 of all time, unsettling, subversive, glorious. This looks cheap, the script is lame, the voice acting utterly wooden. What a fucking shame.

• Upvote 4

Imagine being an animator working on this and then, like half way through, Spider-Verse comes out.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Exidor said:

Imagine being an animator working on this and then, like half way through, Spider-Verse comes out.

Worse, being shown the source material

• Upvote 1

I've seen better looking animation from Netflix kids shows. What a shame that this generations introduction to Addam's Family looks like that. I'm so glad I can just show my daughters the 90s films, they're sublime

• Upvote 2

They are trying to go for the original short comic strips, but the animation and models look well cheap. The jokes were terrible.

If only Laika made it instead. Coincidentally been hearing good things about missing link.

On 06/06/2018 at 10:06, smac said:

The original Charles Addams cartoons are great; if it does stick to that style, it might be OK. But I'm not optimistic.

Ah, it did stick to that style, but it doesn't look to be OK. Ah, well.

Wendy? D'you mean Wednesday?

That's close to the original newspaper cartoons; a simple oval:

Addams-Family.jpg.b18e96fbc4a8efa0877d3686aa3bce55.jpg

4 hours ago, smac said:

Wendy? D'you mean Wednesday?

That's close to the original newspaper cartoons; a simple oval:

Addams-Family.jpg.b18e96fbc4a8efa0877d3686aa3bce55.jpg

Sorry Wednesday. :facepalm: My pet name for her is Wendy. yeah. I knew the design is based on how she's always been drawn but it looks just about alright elsewhere. They've stretched it a bit too much i think, no definition, all scrunched up. I've just realised what it reminds me of, Mr. Potato Head. Or some really bad fan art.

Don't think translating original drawings to modern 3D is always a good idea. Same goes for the Lizard in Amazing Spider-Man. It just looked like a large generic ogre. The McFarlane version really emphasized his dynamism with his white lab coat and tail, and gave him more of a jaw.

Oh, yeah, I agree - it's a different medium, and what works in a 2D editorial cartoon isn't necessarily going to translate well to 3D renders.

2 hours ago, smac said:

Oh, yeah, I agree - it's a different medium, and what works in a 2D editorial cartoon isn't necessarily going to translate well to 3D renders.

It can be done: The Peanuts Movie did a very good job of taking Charles Shulz's art, and the animation style used in the numerous films and TV series over the years, and translating it into high-definition CGI. The movie stayed true to the way that the comic strip's characters were mostly viewed from a few specific angles.

There was a CGI Asterix film a few years ago (Mansions of the Gods), which looked pretty nice despite not having a Pixar/Dreamworks budget. The Asterix illustrations were always quite solid and three-dimensional, so it's probably less of a leap to model them in CG than it is to translate artists with flatter 2D styles.

At the other extreme, you get Tintin, where they took an art style that's all about clear outlines, and filled in the shapes with photorealistic skin textures and light simulation. The Tintin comics have expressions that are only implied by dots for eyes and a few lines, but for the movie they had to use fully-modelled eyeballs and eyelids to make those expressions explicit. Sometimes it looked great (mostly on characters other than Tintin himself), but a lot of the time I found it distracting.

Judging by this trailer, the Asterix example looks like the closest of those three to this Addams Family movie. It's also hard to avoid comparisons to the Hotel Transylvania films, but they were aiming for a distinct animation style, replicating 2D cartoons' fast snaps between poses (similar to Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs), which The Addams Family doesn't seem to be going for.

At the very least, I think it looks better than the directors' and Nitrogen Studios' previous film Sausage Party, which I found really ugly.

On 09/04/2019 at 20:45, Stigweard said:

I've seen better looking animation from Netflix kids shows. What a shame that this generations introduction to Addam's Family looks like that. I'm so glad I can just show my daughters the 90s films, they're sublime

That's exactly what I did last week and they're still as great as ever. I can't think of a film that's so perfectly cast, everyone one of the family is just perfect in the role.

My daughter really enjoyed them, she demanded to watch the 2nd straight after we watched the 1st.

There must be some kind of stats/graphs that show adding terrible music to trailers increases their popularity. 

The casting in the 90s movie is bloody amazing. The only one I thought never worked was pugsley for one reason or another but Julia, Huston, Ricci, Lloyd and Struycken are perfect. At the time the cg of thing was amazing too, having him able to leave his box was a bit of cinema magic. 

The CGI in this is so cheap and bad. The framing of shots is awful, with lots of blank empty background space - although Frozen had similar issues

The script and voice acting is reasonable so it’s such a shame. Watch the 90’s movies instead.

Yeah i watched this last year. It was *okay*. 

The CGI isn't great but if you compare it to the comics, you can see that's the look they went for.

I ended up watching the 90s movies too - they are still great!!

the-addams-family-mystery-mansion-600x33340?cb=20100306164242

Yeah I found it amusing at moments but it wasn't as terrible as everyone said it was. It was mostly disappointing overall because of how great the source material is and the movies which stand still up as classics.