Moonlighter - rogue like dungeon delving retail sim

Say there, friend. Have you ever wondered how the shops in adventure games get their stock, the very stock that keeps you, the brave adventurer, on the cutting edge and allows you to delve deeper and further into danger?

Well, turns out that the shopkeepers sometimes do the dungeon delving first to get stuff for you to sell. 

Enter Moonlighter, available now on Steam, PS4, Xbox, coming to Switch in Q4 2018. 

http://moonlighterthegame.com

Moonlighter is an Action RPG with rogue-lite elements that demonstrates two sides of the coin – revealing everyday routines of Will, an adventurous shopkeeper that secretly dreams of becoming a hero.

Essentially, by day you run your dad's shop, and by night you delve into darkest dungeons to get loot to sell at your shop. The better the loot, the more money you make which means the better gear you can buy and the deeper you can explore. 

moonlighter_screenshot-1-2.png

moonlighter_screenshot-7.png

moonlighter.gif

moonlighter-2.gif

4 hours ago, Qazimod said:

It sounds a bit like the premise behind Recettear, which I enjoyed anyway, so yay. The presentation looks very nice. :) 

I spent so much time on Recettear, loved it.  This looks pretty similar but with more advanced dungeon crawling and simpler store management - making that assumption from YouTube videos.  Since I’m never getting an iPad version of Recettear I’ll probably pick this up.  Capitalism, Ho!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

For anyone still interested in this, it's currently sitting on the eShop at an all-time low price of £5.62 for the standard edition, or £7.79 for the complete edition (including the DLC). Well worth your time and money.

Yeah, I had a great time with this while it lasted. I kind of just stopped playing it though after completing the 3rd dungeon - no fault of the game itself really, it just felt a bit...hollow? A bit more meat on the trading system and something else to spend the dosh on would be brilliant.

Unless tbf I'm missing a massive amount of endgame by jibbing out too early.

• 2 weeks later...

One issue I did take with the game was that once one dungeon is completed there is very little to no reason to ever return to it. In terms of monetary value items from successive dungeons vastly exceed their predecessors, so while the core loop was engaging enough for me, it felt fairly linear.

I actually loved this game. I bought it on Switch back when it was released. I found the learning curve to be quite steep but as soon as I cracked the overall mechanics it became too easy. I think I spent three nights to crack the first dungeon, then I managed to complete the rest in one sitting. I really like the shop element but the fact that the dungeons are randomly generated makes some runs far more cumbersome than others. I've had runs where I've reached the boss in as little as seven rooms while others in 25+ rooms. 

This bump reminds me there's a DLC out which I haven't played, anyone tried it? Was wondering if it was good enough to dip back in.