Bumblebee - Transformers Spin-off

On 21/06/2019 at 23:33, Wahwah* said:

I just watched this and liked it a lot. 

It's a great looking film, there are some really nice shots in there. I know it's in vogue to mine 80s movies, but I felt they got the feel pretty much bang on for a sort of contemporary but classic vibe.  I found the 2 hour run time went by pretty quickly, I was surprised how long it was once I looked afterwards.  I even thought the transformer designs weren't so bad - most of these movies I find the characters are an indistinct collection of angles and reflective chrome. Some clunky scenes that seemed to be missing some parts - cliff diving scene? 

I'm saddened to hear that they're making a sequel though, I'd prefer it if more films were single entities, and this film felt quite self contained, it was quite refreshing to not have some sort of bonus scene setting up a sequel or some threads that needed tying up. 

Now to skip back a few pages and see how far out of sync I am with the rest of rllmuk. 

They totally did set up a sequel though.

On 22/06/2019 at 00:05, Death's Head said:

I only got round to seeing it recently and I loved it. It was the Transformers movie that should have been made in 2007.

It’s a live action pastiche of Bob Budiansky comic stories, or as close as a major film studio in 2018 could’ve made to one. I mean that as a positive. :)

Agree with knightbeat that you can see the cut-and-shut marks where the reshoots went, though. Film doesn’t flow as well as it needs to in parts.

1 hour ago, Protocol Penguin said:

It’s a live action pastiche of Bob Budiansky comic stories, or as close as a major film studio in 2018 could’ve made to one. I mean that as a positive. :)

Agree with knightbeat that you can see the cut-and-shut marks where the reshoots went, though. Film doesn’t flow as well as it needs to in parts.

Yeah,I think that's why I took to it so much - it really gave me that early Marvel vibe, along with the whole Short Circuit-Batteries Not Included thing. It's not perfect by any means but it was so much more enjoyable than Bay's stuff.

It was much more enjoyable than Bay’s efforts partly because it didn’t have a director liable to jizz his pants every time he saw some military hardware or a bit of female ankle.

Thought this was very entertaining. Had plenty of heart, and the tone was just right.

6 hours ago, knightbeat said:

It can exist without a sequel though. The final scene introduces characters, but doesn't set up a problem to be fixed.

Yeah but with them all arriving to set up base on earth its clearly the opening chapter of something larger.

Anyway, more of same is more than good enough for me.  

On 21/06/2019 at 23:33, Wahwah* said:

I just watched this and liked it a lot. 

[...]

Now to skip back a few pages and see how far out of sync I am with the rest of rllmuk. 

Just thinking the same - good atmosphere, well done.

On 24/09/2018 at 10:08, papalazarou said:

Loving the G1 designs but ive a bad feeling we will prob get 1/2 mins of footage of them on cybertron (or just slightly explanded on what the trailer has shown) and then the rest will be just be bumblebee and the 2 deceptacon villians on earth.

Man, you called it...

On 23/06/2019 at 20:11, Diggity said:

Yeah but with them all arriving to set up base on earth its clearly the opening chapter of something larger.

Anyway, more of same is more than good enough for me.  

That's not Bumblebee 2 though, is it? That's Transformers: First Day on Earth or something, isn't it? 

• 7 months later...