Jump to content
Goose

Bumblebee - Transformers Spin-off

Recommended Posts

Been to see it today and easily the best of all the recent transformer movies (I do have a soft spot for the original Bay film).  This dialled it right back though to just basically a yellow good robot battling evil red and blue robots, which made the story refreshingly easy to follow and all the better for it.  

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just back from seeing this. Cracking film and hit me right in the nostalgia. 

 

Better than every single crime against cinema Bay commited to celluloid with his Loud Noises versions. 

 

Bonus points for Stan Bush and Soundwave done proper. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m struggling to think of any stand out scenes that were not seen in the trailer. Generally that’s an insult to a film but I don’t really mean it that way, i enjoyed it quite a lot, but I think they stole a lot of the A material for the promos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw this last night and really loved it.

Great homage to 80s movies and Bumblebee was superbly done.

 

Cybertron was amazing and OP legendary at the beginning.

Heart-warming and fun but has only made $200m from a $135m budget which is weird. Aquaman is crushing everything at the moment.

 

Can we have Jazz next?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve got absolutely zero interest in Aquaman, trailer looked dire. Wonder if it’s the lead who’s drawing them in or whether Bumblebee just wasn’t a good name for a movie 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Phelan said:

Saw this last night and really loved it.

Great homage to 80s movies and Bumblebee was superbly done.

 

Cybertron was amazing and OP legendary at the beginning.

Heart-warming and fun but has only made $200m from a $135m budget which is weird. Aquaman is crushing everything at the moment.

 

Can we have Jazz next?

As expected as it is, I honestly can’t get my head around why Bay’s Transformer films made so much money while being complete and utter shit, yet this is struggling to break even but is easily the best there’s been.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw a youtube video called “Ending of Bumblebee Explained”, so I guess the movie is struggling with people who don’t even have the bare minimum two brain cells to rub together to understand the sophisticated plot about a talking car.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate all the Transformers films, although (as I like cars, jets, robots and Fox) I’ve struggled through every one despite their stories, human performances, and action scenes being mostly terrible.

 

So, am I more likely to get on with this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, linkster said:

I’ve got absolutely zero interest in Aquaman, trailer looked dire. Wonder if it’s the lead who’s drawing them in or whether Bumblebee just wasn’t a good name for a movie 

I think a lot of people simply got fed up with how dire the previous movies have been and automatically think that this will be more of the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/01/2019 at 03:53, JPL said:

As expected as it is, I honestly can’t get my head around why Bay’s Transformer films made so much money while being complete and utter shit, yet this is struggling to break even but is easily the best there’s been.

 

I think it is hard for people to shake the terrible last Transformers movie out of their head so they just think this is going to be more of the same.

Opened in China and a few other countries last Friday so will be interesting to see the stats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think this is much good, sadly. I enjoyed some moments but a lot of it was pilfered from other better 80’s films and the core relationship seemed underbaked. I’m not sure if Bumblebees design was part of the problem there, it didn’t feel like the protagonist needed protecting by a giant car/robot. I also think it should’ve introduced her and focused on her family problems rather than Bumblee and the battle on Cybertron - would’ve been fine as a flashback later. But it had some good bits and much better than the last 4 films.

 

I still prefer the original 2007 film.

  • Empathy 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw this last night.This is better than any of the Bay efforts. That opening 5 minutes, my 8 year old inner child marked out hard. Fight scenes you can make sense of. No annoying characters. Simple yet effective. I’d be happy for them to do a sequel to this. Let’s just forget the Bay efforts.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, grindmouse said:

I don’t think this is much good, sadly. I enjoyed some moments but a lot of it was pilfered from other better 80’s films and the core relationship seemed underbaked. I’m not sure if Bumblebees design was part of the problem there, it didn’t feel like the protagonist needed protecting by a giant car/robot. I also think it should’ve introduced her and focused on her family problems rather than Bumblee and  l the battle on Cybertron. But it had some good bits and much better than the last 4 films.

 

But I think the original 2007 film did a better job of telling this story.

Think it's always hard for fans to be objective, but as someone who never had a Transformer in their life or watched the TV show, the trailer for this sold me on the movie and in spite of all the back references in the intro (which meant very little) lack of knowledge of that universe wasn't a barrier to enjoying the movie, so arguably that's the true test of whether it's a general success

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, Thor said:

One thing I noticed when i saw this, it was shown in 1.85:1. Can I expect the 4k disc to be full-screen?

 

1:85 is "full screen", unless you have a very wide television. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/01/2019 at 05:14, Phelan said:

 

I think it is hard for people to shake the terrible last Transformers movie out of their head so they just think this is going to be more of the same.

Opened in China and a few other countries last Friday so will be interesting to see the stats.

It is exactly this. I had no interest in seeing this because that last film was the last straw in a pile of shit covered straws. I had run out of patience for Transformer testicles, racist robots and incontinent machines. Loud, leery nonsense that had little resemblance to my childhood.

Even when the first trailer came out, I shared it in a WhatsApp group asking "Is this a trap?". Using the original designs couldn't even get me to muster an ounce of excitement at the time. However I found myself with an afternoon free and I'd heard this wasn't awful so I took a trip to the cinema and was really rather impressed. This is exactly the movie I'd imagined when Steven Spielberg was first attached to the franchise. Funny and charming with some well shot action scenes, it is the antithesis of the Bay films.

The biggest shame is that this isn't a reboot. They could still treat it as one and just start from the end of this movie but if Bay still has any creative control will he allow it? The other shame is that it hasn't even made 2/3rds the box office of the appalling last movie meaning this could be the only truly good Transformers film.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@SweatyTravolta Yeah its shit isn't it. 

 

The Chinese audience lapped up the Last Knight but they did spend a lot more marketing it and it cost $217m for it and the head of the studio said it was a flop. Bumblebee has been a success for them as it cost $135m, had much less advertising and has made nearly $400m.

 

Weirdly, in the US The Last Knight made $130m and Bumblebee has made $110m so they are pretty close domestically.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.