rllmuk
Goose

Bumblebee - Transformers Spin-off

First trailer online today for the first (only?) Transformers spin off. This one is set a few years before the events of the first Transformers movie. With the relative failure of T5, the studio is also looking to possible reboot the entire series. 

Paramount Pictures and Hasbro have released the first trailer and poster for the first spin-off based on the “Transformers” franchise.

The story is set in 1987 with Bumblebee finding refuge in a junkyard in a small Californian beach town. Charlie (Hailee Steinfeld), who is on the edge of seventeen, discovers the battle-scarred and broken yellow VW bug and quickly learns his true nature.

John Cena, Pamela Adlon, Stephen Schneider, Jorge Lendeborg Jr., Jason Drucker, Kenneth Choi, Ricardo Hoyos, Abby Quinn, Rachel Crow and Grace Dzienny also star in the project which Travis Knight (“Kubo and the Two Strings”) directs.

“Bumblebee” is slated to open in cinemas on December 21st.

• Upvote 3

I like the fact the robot designs look less busy.. a huge improvement..

Hopefully by shedding Bay and going for a more straightforward story it won't be the absolute crapfest the others have been..

And is that..

Spoiler

A much more G1 Starscream?

10 minutes ago, MDY said:

And is that..

Hide contents

A much more G1 Starscream?

Spoiler

yeah it def looks more like a G1 Starscream! I wonder if we will get any more G1 style cameos?  lets hope with out Bay in charge the focus more on the story rather than the "boom"

Hmm, with the relative failure of 'unnecessary prequel Solo' I imagine a few Paramount execs are having sleepless nights over 'unnecessary prequel Bumblebee'...

13 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

This continued focus on one of the crappest autobots baffles me. Where is Deth's Hed (sp?) when you need him?

Marvel own him. Also, he's not a Transformer.

I'm kinda optimistic (and never thought id say that about a transformers movie after bays second BOOM fest - yes I liked the first one) I like how they seem to be channelling G1 designs - and maybe fingers crossed this is there soft reboot to see how peeps like the new designs etc...

here hoping that the plot involves a deceptacon from the future, who comes back in time to change the time line. we can even have a older version of BB come through so give wisdom and plot points to the younger BB.   At the end of the movie we have a new time line where future bay movies don't exists and old BB heads of to create a new Vulcan......erm I mean cybertron!

After having given up on the Bayverse compeltely, this is... positive? Bumblebee actually looks like a Transfomer (despite the presence of a GoBot head in alt mode). Starscream being an F-16 (with canopy chest?) instead of whatever modern fly thing they came up with is also a lot better. Now if this also means the TFs get a bit of space to breathe as characters...

So yeah, very cautiously optimistic even though the Bayverse still has a lot of damage to make up for.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

This continued focus on one of the crappest autobots baffles me. Where is Deth's Hed (sp?) when you need him?

Yes?

As I said in he TF thread, this actually looks quite...good? Crikey.

Also, that brief shot of Starscream was giving me heavy Man of Iron vibes.

• Upvote 2

As optimistic as this trailer makes me, I'm also a little sad and angry. Four and a half films (there are small sections of 1 and possibly 2 where Optimus Prime and / or the classic dialogue is fantastic) of unrelenting carnage with Bay at the helm and now we get a perspective that actually seems somewhat based on the classic originals. How the fuck did it take 5 films to get here or has the really promising look and style of Bumblebee happened by mistake rather than woefully late design?

That trailer got me. Really looking forward to this now! For that incredible G1 looking Starscream model if nothing else!!

• Upvote 4

On 05/06/2018 at 09:45, Chadruharazzeb said:

This continued focus on one of the crappest autobots baffles me.

I'm hoping for a Kup film. Like Gran Torino but with an old, curmudgeonly robot.

• Upvote 2

Trailer looks good <> film is good.

It would be quite easy to project my own wishes onto this one just because the robot design is better, but there's not enough to convince me that this one won't also be 95% crash bang wallop and 5% story.

12 hours ago, MardiganX said:

That trailer got me. Really looking forward to this now! For that incredible G1 looking Starscream model if nothing else!!

46 minutes ago, Darwock said:

Trailer looks good <> film is good.

It would be quite easy to project my own wishes onto this one just because the robot design is better, but there's not enough to convince me that this one won't also be 95% crash bang wallop and 5% story.

I'd say Travis Knight's resume should inspire some faith at least.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

Just realised the main character is Hailee Steinfeld 

She's also channeling Jurassic Park's Lex with her face when Bumblebee transforms into his robot self in the garage.

Am I the only one disconcerted that Bumblebee's head can be seen by looking under the engine? I mean I know it has to be somewhere, but who thinks of the Transformers actually contorted like that when they change into vehicles? I prefer to think of them as separate entities.

1 minute ago, James Lyon said:

Am I the only one disconcerted that Bumblebee's head can be seen by looking under the engine? I mean I know it has to be somewhere, but who thinks of the Transformers actually contorted like that when they change into vehicles? I prefer to think of them as separate entities.

Have you never seen a Transformers toy?

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Monkeyboy said:

Have you never seen a Transformers toy?

Yeah, but you shouldn't think that a Transformer's sticking its head up its arse whenever it wants to get into disguise.