rllmuk
Hitcher

Hitman 2

awh man I fucked up the unique target.

I was following the dude around trying to get the most out of the content and I managed to fumble the exploding pen and drop it at my feet... killing me immediately.

I have always felt it is a bad design not to let me go back and play them again, even if no score is captured now... there is a whole lot of content there that is lost like tears in the rain.

• Upvote 1

Ha, for what it's worth I managed to completely balls it up - got the job done and escaped with no witnesses or evidence left... but 0 points, because the reason there were no witnesses nor evidence left is because I killed a lot of bystanders after bungling things in the most public manner possible. Very entertaining.

(I do agree that it's a shame you can't go back to redo the missions without leaderboards, just to see the bits you've missed - particularly when they got Sean Bean to do a surprising amount of voice work for this, and I certainly missed a load of it)

I spent ages wandering around the 3 headed serpent mission, checking out the different opportunities (or mission stories now) and learning routines. Nearly messed up when scoping out ‘The Face’ but when she left I disposed of a potential witness I hadn’t clocked until I was about to get her and waited patiently for her return and everything went without a hitch.

I’m in Mumbai now and had to save it after getting the director as it was getting really late but I’m looking forward to getting back to it tonight :)

• Upvote 2

Hitman is the best game for thinking about when you're not playing it. Every time I get into a Hitman game I spend ages on my commute or in a boring meeting planning potential silent assassin or suit-only runs.

• Upvote 2

I spent far too much time today wondering how practical it would actually be to try and drown someone in a toilet. I'm not sure this game is a good influence on me.

FUCK I just failed the elusive target in the stupidest way possible.

I found the detonator and gunpowder but didn't realise the pen was already explosive. Based on the conversations I thought I would have to rig the pen first. But out of curiousity I tried the detonator whilst standing 

right next to the pen. Ugh.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 2

I’m not attempting it until I know that level a bit better. I've had a couple of runs around it now and done a few challenges - I meant to have a good run at it tonight but got caught up in doing all the challenges on the first proper mission (Nightcall). There are some really nice ways of getting some of them and I had an elaborate plan when going for a master silent assassin one of using the

chloroform

in the bathroom air vent but rather than affecting them both at the same time there must have been a really slight delay which caused the other person to ‘find’ the other body which was annoying.

Revised plan was a lot less elaborate. Pacified her while the dude was in the shower and then dragged her elsewhere while he was talking.

2 minutes ago, Kryptonian said:

I’m not attempting it until I know that level a bit better. I've had a couple of runs around it now and done a few challenges - I meant to have a good run at it tonight but got caught up in doing all the challenges on the first proper mission (Nightcall). There are some really nice ways of getting some of them and I had an elaborate plan when going for a master silent assassin one of using the

Reveal hidden contents

chloroform

in the bathroom air vent but rather than affecting them both at the same time there must have been a really slight delay which caused the other person to ‘find’ the other body which was annoying.

Revised plan was a lot less elaborate. Pacified her while the dude was in the shower and then dragged her elsewhere while he was talking.

You could have combined those two approaches:

Spoiler

Wait until he's in the shower, then knock them both unconscious using the air vent.

Should avoid the 'spotting each other' quirk!

1 minute ago, Wiper said:

You could have combined those two approaches:

Hide contents

Wait until he's in the shower, then knock them both unconscious using the air vent.

Should avoid the 'spotting each other' quirk!

That’s what I tried with my first attempt but it didn’t work, strangely.

You don't really need to know Miami that well for the elusive target mission, it's pretty much contained to a couple of corridors in the building you find Robert Knox. 

God knows how someone pulled this off

zFBFg-QTzK0

• Upvote 5

The briefcase makes suit only / silent assassin runs much more fun on the 2016 levels. I'd never really bothered with them before, but being able to transport a sniper rifle in the starting suit makes a big difference and also feels cool as fuck. I was quite pleased with the SO/SA run I figured out for Sapienza:

• Take lethal poison and a breaching charge, and stash a sniper rifle in the safehouse
  • Start in the morgue and pacify the scientist for the virus-destroying dongle, having already lured the attendant in with an overflowing sink to get the church key
  • Go into town and turn on the radio to wake up the journalist who will draw Francesca out into the open. There's plenty of time to set up Silvio's death while this plays out
  • Go through the ICA safehouse, picking up the handgun on the way, and shimmy along the wall of the mansion to sneak into the kitchen where Silvio's dinner is being prepped.
  • Lure the chef away from his position with a planted handgun and a coin. While he's dealing with that and the other cooks' backs are turned, slip the lethal poison into Silvio's bolognese. It took me a couple of attempts to figure this out, as the poison didn't seem to work. I eventually realised that it was because I was knocking the chef out, leaving no-one willing to serve the food!
  • Go back out through the ICA safehouse, picking up the rifle briefcase. Deposit it in the cellar of the church where all the spooky coffins are.
  • By this point, Francesca will be out of the mansion. Go round to the dark alley where she meets the journo and hide in the bin right where they'll stand. If you have time, plant a breaching charge on the weak wall in the same alley. This will be your way into the lab.
  • Once Francesca has concluded her meeting with the journo, emerge from the bin as soon as the journo turns his back, then deal with Francesca with a weapon of your choice. Stash her in the same bin from whence you emerged.
  • Blow the weak wall and waltz into the lab. You should be right near the laptop needed to remotely sabotage the virus, with only a quick cover-to-cover duck needed to avoid being seen.
  • Pacify the scientist at the laptop and hide his body, put the USB stick into the laptop and slip out the way you came in. I fucked up here as Francesca's bodyguards were still searching the alley for their missing client and they ended up searching the newly-exposed tunnel and pincering me. Next time I waited a bit for them to clear off.
  • Now to finish off Silvio. Head back to the side entrance of the church and retrieve the case. Then head up to the bell tower, ensuring you steer clear of the vicar and any other church hands.
  • Assemble the rifle a the top, snipe the dinner bell and watch as Silvio eats the deadly spaghetti.
  • Pack up your rifle and exit via the boat on the pier!

That's two of six 2016 levels finished with SO/SA. Just working on Marrakesh....

• Upvote 3

On 25/11/2018 at 12:15, Majora said:

You don't really need to know Miami that well for the elusive target mission, it's pretty much contained to a couple of corridors in the building you find Robert Knox. 

God knows how someone pulled this off

Reveal hidden contents

zFBFg-QTzK0

You were right, I did it last night with no drama.

After watching the intro the other day, I had grand plans involving a sniper rifle and a vantage point but ended up using a pen. Who’d have thought it?

I then spent hours on The Ark Society trying a few challenges. I did the mission story as the council dude and ended up doing one half of the ‘king of the castle’ challenge but can’t see how to do the other without carrying her all the way up there killing everyone in my path which isn’t what I really had in mind.

I also found a few items that makes me think I'll be able to use the cannon which looks interesting.

20 minutes ago, Kryptonian said:

Don’t miss the Elusive Target @Pob by messing about with the original levels!

I know! I got sucked into this stupid Microsoft Rewards thing and am waiting for my points to arrive so I get a tenner off the gold edition. It's going to be tight. My first play of Miami might literally be the Elusive Target. Got four days yet I think.

On 20/11/2018 at 16:16, Pob said:

With the WB publishing deal, does that mean that WB paid for all marketing and distribution, but IOI are solely responsible for keeping the lights on in the studio?

The way it usually works is the publisher pays for it all and then gets their money back from the sales of the final product. If the game is commercially successful, the developer will get to share in the profits after break-even. How IO have structured this deal is unknown, they might have part-funded development themselves in exchange for a greater share of the sales, but I don't think they would have had the money to fully fund development of the game and just use Warner Bros to market and distribute it, which is closer to how CDPR did their last game.

Apparently if you believe the rumo(u)r mill, Microsoft are sniffing around:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/microsoft-studios-ot3-i-thought-they-were-supposed-to-be-sold-off-by-now.75600/page-198#post-15205433

Managed to get the Digital Gold Edition for £50. Started playing the Prologue again and I'm now hooked on the Sniper Assassination level.

59 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Managed to get the Digital Gold Edition for £50. Started playing the Prologue again and I'm now hooked on the Sniper Assassination level.

Where did you get that?

I've only just started this but what a fucking brilliant game. 

Have I missed the first elusive target yet, btw? I decided to play all the old levels first

2 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I've only just started this but what a fucking brilliant game. 

Have I missed the first elusive target yet, btw? I decided to play all the old levels first

You have about six hours left to start the mission, I think.

2 minutes ago, Pob said:

You have about six hours left to start the mission, I think.

Wtf! Seriously? And once I've started it, how long do I have? I have a two year old running about in the living room, I can't simply excuse myself and go to the mancave to kill Sean Bean right now

• Empathy 1

I think you just have to start it before the end time, not complete it. Just don't lose your connection by letting your console go into sleep mode etc

42 minutes ago, Pob said:

Last night I noticed there was only 18 hours left to complete the Undying (Sean Bean) elusive contract, so I ended up having to attempt it having never even set foot in the Miami map, as I’ve been ‘messing about on the original levels’ as @Kryptonian put it.

I found that, not only would I be going in blind, I couldn’t even smuggle anything on my person, as your item slots only unlock at Mastery Level 2. All I could take was the shirt on my back, and a high-powered silenced rifle smuggled into the underground car park. Luckily I’d unlocked the rifle with 3x zoom an suppressor in my Hitman 2016 map play-throughs.

So I went in completely fresh, no instinct, no mini-map, no smuggled items, on an elusive target. Surely the purest Hitman experience you could have!

I met my contact at reception and he told me that if I found a suitable disguise he could smuggle me into a meeting with the target. “Just the way I like it”, 47 responds, completely not reflecting my real-life confidence in being able to achieve this. If the game had dialogue trees I’d have chosen a response more along the lines of “um, I’ve never actually been here before - can you tell me where I can find some clothes?”

I poked around the public exhibition and found a ‘staff only’ sign I could safely slip past. Luckily it was quiet. CCTV blocked my way upstairs, but I hit paydirt when I found the security room, which contained a sleeping guard and the camera controls for me to sabotage. I relieved the guard of his uniform and found my sniper rifle briefcase in a red van in the garage.

I then found one of the ways upstairs Diana mentioned in the briefing. However, it meant shinning up a long pipe, which meant I couldn’t take my rifle, so I tossed it carelessly back in the red van for safekeeping. This was to be a critical error, as we'll find out later.

Upstairs I realised my disguise wouldn’t pass master so I found a tough-looking bodyguard overlooking the racetrack. He wasn’t too tough to clean up an overflowing sink, though, and I choked him out once he’d finished mopping up the mess I'd made.

I caught a glimpse of what I assumed was my target across the hall, but when I got over there him and his entourage had gone into an area secured by a keycard I didn’t have. However, outside I’d spotted the race control room that Diana told me would be the perfect sniper nest, so I decided I’d go for that.

Back downstairs in the parking garage, I encountered my toughest obstacle yet: my rifle briefcase was too far into the red van, and 47 couldn’t reach it!

van copy.jpg

After almost having my plan defeated by this most unlikely of circumstances, I came up with a brilliant plan to retrieve it:

With a plan now firmly formed in my mind, I header over the racetrack to find my way into the control room. All the doors over there were locked and I didn’t have a key or a crowbar. After lots of poking around underground I found both a key and a crowbar in quick succession, plus a race marshall outfit.

I was now able to enter the control booth and stealthily tempt both race controllers away from their posts so I could take up my position.

I assembled my rifle, aimed at the window across the track and waited. After a few minutes, Sean Bean’s face appeared and I immediately shot it off, having heard nary a single Yorkshire-lilted word he recorded for this one-off mission.

But it doesn’t matter. My job was to assassinate him, not to make friends with him. I packed up my rifle and walked out unseen.

I wad a bit peeved I didn't get the 'sniper assassin' rating. I didn't kill anyone unnecessarily or get spotted.

This is just great :)

Glad you managed to get it done!

• Upvote 1