Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Hitcher

8 hours ago, Mars said:

And...

300-kick.gif

Sparta kicking people off the edge of cliffs and watching them take the long arc down to their oblivion might be the funniest thing I've seen in a game in years. 

• 2 weeks later...

I Visited Assassin's Creed Odyssey's Sanctuary Of Delphi In Real Life And I Felt Like I'd Been There Before

I'm about 45 hours in now and

Spoiler

might have ruined Sparta a bit. I had a quest to go meet his mother at the southern part of the country but I was up north and thought it would be more fun to wander down on my horse. Ended up doing the big long walk through the town backwards and missed the stunning view of riding up between the statues and looking at the temples. Wasn't all that bad because I did trek up to what looked like the highest mountain in the game to see what was up there and was surprised to find a sword and a stat boost. Nice and hand, even snapped a pic for my feed.

Done 52% of the story now and I've been wandering off to do some island (keeping away from all the DLC as some of it has big spoilers). My focus has been on a few smaller islands and I love how I stumbled across someone training to enter a big tournament at a colliseum somewhere. Managed to whoop them in battle and now my next big trip will be sail to the south East and find the next part of the quest. I did stop off on the way to meet Alexios ' dad, one thing I really love about the game is how you just wander off and get caught up in adventures. Bumped into Markos and had an adventure with a new wine business which all ended in tears!

On 08/07/2022 at 08:48, Lorfarius said:

Now that I'm well into the level 20's (too much time floating around the sea instead of missions!) I don't think I like the enemy levelling system. With them seeming to match you as you increase it all feels a bit pointless upgrading stuff. No matter what I pick it all feels a bit similar and unless they are a couple of levels higher the combat isn't much of a challenge. I'm rubbish at games like this usually but the levelling is just.. off to me. Everything else is great mind.

You can turn off the level scaling. I did this as I've never liked the scaling idea in any game. It will make some quests piss easy, mind, but at times it feels good to be overpowered. 

Just now, Rayn said:

You can turn off the level scaling. I did this as I've never liked the scaling idea in any game. It will make some quests piss easy, mind, but at times it feels good to be overpowered. 

I dunno, I'm playing normal and not really struggled with anything so far. I've found on a few occasions where I've met some really high level bounty hunters that just result in the same combat taking forever to whittle down their HP. I've been mixing and matching armor too as it just doesn't seem to matter much what I wear, the set I currently have on has a neat 100% boost if HP reaches 0 but I think I used that once when I pressed the wrong button for heal, they knocked me down.

Spoiler

Biggest I'm having is getting my spear up to level 5 as I can't seem to find any cultists, seem to have disappeared off the map so I can't top out my sparta kick or ground stomp.

I'm about level 30 on this, and starting to get a little fatigue. It's fun enough, and absolutely consumes human hours, but I'm not sure it's going to show me much that I haven't already seen by now. It often happens with open world games like this: I kinda want it to be over, but sunk cost and good gameplay means I stick with it.

The modern day stuff has been mercifully minimal so far. Which I can't thank them enough for.

On 20/07/2022 at 06:54, schmojo said:

The modern day stuff has been mercifully minimal so far. Which I can't thank them enough for.

While I tend to agree, particularly in Origins and this, there's a moment in the modern day stuff in the quests which are a prelude to the Atlantis DLC that blew my god damn mind. You'll be glad you did it.

@Lorfarius are you a warrior build? I hate fighting anyone, much less the other mercs. I sneak up behind and do a critical assassination, which usually takes half health, and then pop the (I think?) warrior skill which amplifies damage and reduces damage you take, and then finish him off with a hero strike. Sometimes I'm low on adrenaline so can't do the thing before the warrior strike, but then maxed out hero strike often doesn't need it. I got to the point where my build meant a merc a level or two below mine could be taken out with a critical assassination. My word, that never got old :D 

8 minutes ago, TehStu said:

@Lorfarius are you a warrior build? I hate fighting anyone, much less the other mercs. I sneak up behind and do a critical assassination, which usually takes half health, and then pop the (I think?) warrior skill which amplifies damage and reduces damage you take, and then finish him off with a hero strike. Sometimes I'm low on adrenaline so can't do the thing before the warrior strike, but then maxed out hero strike often doesn't need it. I got to the point where my build meant a merc a level or two below mine could be taken out with a critical assassination. My word, that never got old :D 

I'm a bit of a mix of everything. I like to sneak around the edges, picking off the easy targets then use the group arrow shots to hit the ones that are close together followed by me charging in doing kicks, stomps and loads of slashing. I have a mix of skills as I was trying all 3 but had loads more fun doing things like this.

Melee skill wise I have health, stomp, sparta kick and poison blades. Stopped bothering with the others as this mix is just so powerful 🤣 I have the tame skill (not used it once despite wanting a pet) and maxed out poison/assassination skills so I'm pretty bad ass. Every enemy vanishes after I take them down from behind.

Ok, so I hit Knossos and it's fun again. Fair play.

I cannot kill any Legendary Beasts. They all have their way with me. They're another annoying example of attacks barely chipping at something and it becoming a fucking stamina exercise. I think I've had to land about 200 blows on some mercs who are only two levels above me, and it gets tedious.

Yeah, I had to drop down to easy difficulty against one of them, forget who. The battles were largely me spamming arrows to generate adrenaline, landing a hero strike, and then kiting them until the timer on hero strikes elapsed. But the quest-based ones are what get you into those modern day things I mentioned, and absolutely worth doing. 

I never bothered with any of the random mythical beasts after the pig and friends early on in the game, to get the legendary bow, constantly handed my arse to me. I'll have another go when I return for the DLC.

On 20/07/2022 at 13:54, schmojo said:

I'm about level 30 on this, and starting to get a little fatigue. It's fun enough, and absolutely consumes human hours, but I'm not sure it's going to show me much that I haven't already seen by now. It often happens with open world games like this: I kinda want it to be over, but sunk cost and good gameplay means I stick with it.

Keep going, the 30s are a bit slow and is starting to feel a bit filler ish, but it gets really interesting again around lvl 40 and onwards, especially as you start exploring the mythical stuff. I hope you've got the DLCs as well, especially the Atlantis one as it makes for one hell of a journey. 

15 hours ago, Waggo said:

Have you come across any of the mythic bosses yet?

I found a cave where someone had laid out a load of bodies and bits of armour to look like a minotaur on a wall. Alexios pointed out how fake it all was and I've still got a load of minotaur named places to explore. I'm assuming its a bloke in armour somewhere as its all based on history so blokes/bandits/pirates ahoy. I stumbled upon a colliseum that had loads of battles lined up, ended up spending a few hours there last night just working my way through. Managed to find a cultist in there so can now start topping out my kick/wave skill on the next few level ups.

4 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

I found a cave where someone had laid out a load of bodies and bits of armour to look like a minotaur on a wall. Alexios pointed out how fake it all was and I've still got a load of minotaur named places to explore. I'm assuming its a bloke in armour somewhere as its all based on history so blokes/bandits/pirates ahoy. I stumbled upon a colliseum that had loads of battles lined up, ended up spending a few hours there last night just working my way through. Managed to find a cultist in there so can now start topping out my kick/wave skill on the next few level ups.

Spoiler

He doesn’t know!

I've also been avoiding exploring the open seas, zipping from island to island to bookmark ports. At the start of the game I was finding ship wrecks/sharks with very little valuable goodies so just sort of got bored with it. Seem to recall Black Flag having you swinging from the masts to do attacks but not even considered that on this 🤣 I keep upping my ship skills just in case but really need to get out there and see what I'm missing.

4 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

There are people who still play as Alexios?

That's like finding out that some people still use VHS players.

I tried restarting as the other character but not sure what all the fuss was about. Think Alexios sounds way better/funnier, reminds me of Ezio.

I'm at level 46 now and just realised I've been playing for 60 hours. Honestly thought I was still under 50, after the Olympics and a battle for sparta in the main story so hoping I'm coming towards the end of the main story 🤣

• 2 weeks later...

Hit level 60 and after 90 hours I finished both main quests and the majority of DLC. Just started episode 1 of Fate of Atlantis. 

My main take away from the modern story is

Spoiler

how awful Layla truly is, really obnoxious and don't understand why they've made her thay way. Made me want to skip all of her bits and really didn't think she was worthy of being any heir. I know there's been calls for years across the AC games to ditch that stuff and I'd have been perfectly happy for it all to drop out going into Valhalla, no idea where that will go as it's on my next game list so hopefully find out soon enough.

For the most part I've enjoyed the combat and after beating the 4 legendary creatures I was a bit disappointed with them after the hunt for the minotaur. They felt a bit like damage sponges with only the minotaur feeling a bit different. Really kept me on the tip of my toes but the others were pretty easy once I'd figured out the pattern. Would have been better if they'd switched it up a bit more and I got bored with the number of cyclops boss fights that seemed far too many.

Downsides has to be that horse.. no matter how many times I called it or from what distance it always seemed to run off at crazy distances and I'd always have to spend a good 10-15 seconds chasing after it to get on. Bit silly and amusing at first but when I'm trying to get across the map quickly it became a pain.

The ship combat seemed pointless to me, I can remember how difficult and long it seemed when I first set off. Once a few enemy ships surround you it doesn't matter how levelled up you were (I'd hit at least legendary on everything by the end) it never really changes. The rewards were a bit of a joke so I gave up on it for anything but the most needed trips by the end. I visited every continent so it's not like I didn't explore enough with the ship.

Things like Tombs were far too copy/paste after a time but luckily forgiveable with the script and stories.  Think I sound like im moaning but those are the biggest problems I saw after 90 hours playtime. I'm still not finished thanks to the Atlantis stuff so hopefully get another 20 or more hours out of it. I've loved it for the most part and anyone jumping in its a truly great game to play. It has the heart some of the others don't and reminds me of the Ezio stuff which is always a plus. 

And for last gen hardware its frikkin beautiful. Bit from the Atlantis DLC:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.e997bb0940fb8b605cd1da66e38c6c30.png

30 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

And for last gen hardware its frikkin beautiful. Bit from the Atlantis DLC:

Say what you will about Ubi but they certainly can make pretty games. Your attached screenshot is a great example of how far some developers were able to stretch the capabilities of the last gen platforms, the PS4 in particular. 

I remember when I started on Valhalla I was a bit let down by the visuals as I felt there was little to no upgrade over Odyssey Atlantis but it turned out Valhalla is actually a couple of steps ahead of Odyssey, especially when it comes to lighting and shadows, volumetric effects and particle effects. With the last DLC for Valhalla they made the game even more impressive and it might be my favourite looking current gen game from a technical POV. 

Got it downloaded on my Series X, seems there was some other freebie DLC released yesterday as it was a pretty big update. Think I need a bit of a break before I jump in, don't want to get bored of it or think its a bit too samey as Odyssey.

50 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Got it downloaded on my Series X, seems there was some other freebie DLC released yesterday as it was a pretty big update. Think I need a bit of a break before I jump in, don't want to get bored of it or think its a bit too samey as Odyssey.

I reckon that's a wise decision. Even though it's a brand new story, a completely different setting and a unique level-up system it's still Assassins Creed. Valhalla is also a lot bigger than Odyssey so taking a break from the franchise when you're done with Odyssey is most likely the best thing you can do to avoid burnout. 

Think I've messed up the Atlantis DLC. Stil on Ep 1 and I was doing my usual thing of hoovering up lots of active quests when all of a sudden

Spoiler

I'm fighting with Hermes and Heteke steps in. I then go to talk to Persephone who sends me off to kill Leonidas but mostly I've been doing stuff for Adonis. Story isn't making a lot of sense and I'm starting to wonder if I should give up, might be better to watch a spoiler vid on Youtube as I've read there's multiple endings. Feels like I've broken it.

I'm at level 46 with the main story done (underwhelmingly), and I think I might also be done.

I'm curious about the Atlantis stuff, with 3 of the 4 artefacts collected. But I've heard that the last mythical fucker is a bastard if you're not ~level 50. And getting to 46 was a tedious grind. 

I'm also curious about the cultists, with about 5 to go. But again, the barrier to entry for a few of them is 50, and I'm just losing the will. Shitty little quests that seem to be 'Go x hundred metres to a place which annoyingly has no tower. Collect thing. Now trudge back'. They ain't fun. 

Is there any mind-blowing stuff that should keep me playing, or should I just watch the resolutions on YT?

12 hours ago, schmojo said:

I'm at level 46 with the main story done (underwhelmingly), and I think I might also be done.

I'm curious about the Atlantis stuff, with 3 of the 4 artefacts collected. But I've heard that the last mythical fucker is a bastard if you're not ~level 50. And getting to 46 was a tedious grind. 

I'm also curious about the cultists, with about 5 to go. But again, the barrier to entry for a few of them is 50, and I'm just losing the will. Shitty little quests that seem to be 'Go x hundred metres to a place which annoyingly has no tower. Collect thing. Now trudge back'. They ain't fun. 

Is there any mind-blowing stuff that should keep me playing, or should I just watch the resolutions on YT?

Seems like Ubi fatigue has hit you hard, in which case it's probably wise to conclude your journey. A bit of a shame, really, as a couple of the best bits in the entire game will remain unexplored by you. 

• 1 month later...

I started another run on this since it hit Gamepass (being able to play on any device without much fuss is helpful).  Quite enjoying a second run through so far.  Will probably tire of eventually, but really enjoy pooting around the world and the humour.

Last time I played as Kassandra so this time I'm playing as Kassandra since Alexios is a nob.

I've started playing this since it showed up on game pass.  It's pretty decent but the scaling on levels seems mental.  I fought a level 5 at level 3 and I was doing like 15 dmg per hit.  15 mins later at level 6 and he went down in 3 hits.  

I haven't played an assassins creed in years and I hope their isn't much time hoping stuff cause tbh I couldn't care less.  I just want to run around ancient times fighting mad people that are not remotely the same time line but wth why not.  

The time hopping is scaled right back, so is easily manageable even though the lead modern day character is pretty obnoxious.

I think Ubi finally got around to understanding that nobody gives a shit about the modern day plot.  They carry this good decision into Valhalla as well.