Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Hitcher

I still think this is the best of the Creed games so far. It’s got so much character in it. It’s the only game I’ve ever 100%’d, which probably has to mean something.

Although, I eagerly picked up all the dlc when it came out but clearly exhaustion reared it’s head as I’ve never touched it. Think I might have to sort that out.

1 hour ago, JoeK said:

I still think this is the best of the Creed games so far. It’s got so much character in it. It’s the only game I’ve ever 100%’d, which probably has to mean something.

Although, I eagerly picked up all the dlc when it came out but clearly exhaustion reared it’s head as I’ve never touched it. Think I might have to sort that out.

Heartily recommend playing the DLC, I really enjoyed it (even if it is a bit far fetched as to how it fits in storyline wise).

I still think this is the best one, I absolutely rinsed it and I did the same with Origins. Still haven't played Valhalla, sat on a shelf nearly 18 months on and still in its shrink wrap. The itch is getting stronger though.

2 hours ago, Jg15 said:

Heartily recommend playing the DLC, I really enjoyed it (even if it is a bit far fetched as to how it fits in storyline wise).

I still think this is the best one, I absolutely rinsed it and I did the same with Origins. Still haven't played Valhalla, sat on a shelf nearly 18 months on and still in its shrink wrap. The itch is getting stronger though.

Same here! It's been waiting to be installed for quite a while now.

Actually, up until a week ago I had all the AC games installed on my PC, but for some reason I went bonkers and decided the best thing to do was to entirely wipe the particular drive they were all on (4tb-worth of games suddenly went up in a puff of...erm...something). 

It's one of the really great things I love about the new consoles in that you can install stuff on them without the whole machine noises going on. Not something I can say about my PC :(

• 2 weeks later...

The Blind Blacksmith quest ending made me chuckle.

Spoiler

In fact, that whole quest line in the town was pretty funny. I didn’t have the heart to kill the fake Eagle Bearer and his chicken, so recruited him to my ship.

There's so much charm about this game. I know a lot of what the gameplay asks you to do is find a marker on a map and loot it, but it's just fun being in this world. You can tell that they had as good a time as devs can do making this game - or at least that's the impression I get from it. The characters, the world, just everything kind of clicks for me in this game. 

I'm certainly more cheerful playing this than I was getting slaughtered in Elden Ring...

I'm level 55 and thought I'd better do some more of the actual story, so just finished chapter 6. Am I right in thinking you can't finish off all the cultists unless you finish the main story, given who one of the cultists is? Hunting down the cult has been an absolute blast. Teleport in, clear out guards with rush assassinate and then hero strike the cult sap. Everyone is toast before they've all finishing hitting the ground. Amazing.

On 18/04/2022 at 10:25, Monkeyboy said:

The Blind Blacksmith quest ending made me chuckle.

Hide contents

In fact, that whole quest line in the town was pretty funny. I didn’t have the heart to kill the fake Eagle Bearer and his chicken, so recruited him to my ship.

reminds me of the Olympic champion questline

1 hour ago, Haribokart said:

This was my game of 2018 and I got the absolute piss ripped out of me on here for loving it.

Man I've been enjoying it so much I've bought 3 Stephen Fry hardbacks on Greek mythology.

I just finished the Between Two Worlds quest line. Holy shit! I'm not even going to put that in a Spoiler tag in case the forum barfs and shows someone who hasn't finished it yet.

I deleted Odyssey from the PS5 as I had Valhalla to get cracking, on but as good as that is it the world didn't grab me in the same way as Greece did so I installed Odyssey again. As luck would have it I hadn't deleted any of the save date when I removed it so I'm right back where I left off, having just finished the main story it shows I've played about 50 hours which means I've still got a good 300 left and haven't even visited the whole game map yet. For a game I struggled to get into at first this is going to end up one of my all-time favourites.

There’s such a clear distinction between the main devs who did this one and the ones who did Origins and Valhalla. Obviously half of the known world helps out in these games but whilst I really like Origins and Bayak as a character, it and Valhalla lack the charm and just plain warmth that Odyssey’s cast have. It’s a place I like to roam about in.

3 hours ago, JoeK said:

Valhalla lack the charm and just plain warmth that Odyssey’s cast have. It’s a place I like to roam about in.

Yeah, mad family aside, there's a rich vein of humour and friendship to the stories in it.

• 1 month later...

Finished the main story, about 125 hours and level 66. Just brilliant. I only had one cultist left to bump off, so got that sorted, too. In doing so, it sounded like some important lore was introduced and I'm not sure I fully got it. Combined with the fact my first AC was Black Flag, I'm thinking I need a good primer. Any suggestions? I really don't recall the real life stuff in Black Flag and Syndicate, nor Origins come to think about it. Those are the only other AC I've completed.

Anyway, I've been everywhere on the map and done almost all the white icons (camps, caves, etc.) but I'm running out of steam, not sure I'll finish those. Might take a crack at the legendary ship, now mine is. Rubbish at naval combat, though.

How much content is in the Poseidon DLC? Is it a whole new map? There's also what looks like another DLC on Kefalonia, something about going on holiday? I loved walking all around this map but I think in order not to burn out I need engaging story now.

1 hour ago, TehStu said:

There's also what looks like another DLC on Kefalonia, something about going on holiday? I loved walking all around this map but I think in order not to burn out I need engaging story now.

This DLC ties Odyssey to Valhalla. It's short but decent

Cheers. I think I'll just crack on and see when I genuinely can't be doing this any more.

What's fascinating is that completing it opens up a "start over but keep (some of?) your level/build/stuff" mode. I assume this is more for folks who zerged through it any fancy a stab, perhaps as the other character. I wouldn't say choices had that much significance so it's not like you could paragon/renegade the whole thing. Possibly also a way to get up to the level needed for topping the S mercenary.

I found the DLC fairly substantial, 12hrs roughly for First Blade and 20hrs for Atlantis, that was after about 100hrs in Odyssey scouring the map which I absolutely loved. I did find myself starting to get burnt out in the DLC, First Blade wasn't as fun but Atlantis is much better, so take a break before that if needed.

Still disappointed Ubisoft don't stick with a protagonist but especially so after Odyssey, a Kassandra trilogy would have been brilliant.

18 hours ago, JPR said:

Still disappointed Ubisoft don't stick with a protagonist but especially so after Odyssey, a Kassandra trilogy would have been brilliant.

Don't open if you haven't played Odyssey.

Spoiler

Technically possible, right? I have no idea what AC Infinity is going to be, but they could have Kassandra in pretty much any time period time.

5 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Don't open if you haven't played Odyssey.

Hide contents

Technically possible, right? I have no idea what AC Infinity is going to be, but they could have Kassandra in pretty much any time period time.

Spoiler

Yes I guess it should be technically possible if infinity is going to focus on multiple locations and periods they could go back to her.

It's a while since I played it so not sure where the main story ends and the DLC starts, so I'll not risk spoilers by speculating.

I just really enjoyed the Ezio trilogy and always wanted something similar with another character. Syndicate and Evie Frye where great but she got left behind, at first I was disappointed at the Odyssey announcement as I thought Origins perfectly set up a Bayek and Aya sequel. Odyssey did then go onto be one of my games of the generation with Kassandra but then we got Valhalla, which I'm fine to leave behind.

Now it's onto Infinity which is years off and an unknown change and who knows what could change along the way.

5 hours ago, Boothjan said:

The DLC is huge, particularly Atlantis.  Easily 20+ hours extra there, probably more if you want to 100% it.

Well worth the money IMO - I loved it.

It seems to have installed loads of parts including that one. Are they all just mashed into the main game or do you have to load them from the menu?

5 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

It seems to have installed loads of parts including that one. Are they all just mashed into the main game or do you have to load them from the menu?

The main 2 - Legacy of the First Blade and Fate of Atlantis - are both episodic and each has 3 chapters. There's just a lot of it!  

Doesn't matter which one you start with though.  Atlantis is definitely the better of the two.

7 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

They're going to be opened up as quests eventually, with prerequisites. Atlantis quests will have orange text. Tales of Greece blue. Main quests white. At some point, I either stumbled upon or unlocked the ability to do (I think) Between Two Worlds. Do that when you're properly into your character, you'll enjoy it more. Between Two Worlds is what opens up the Atlantis DLC.

A general tip I would give new folks is to make good use of the icon filters down the left of the quests tab. Sometimes you just want to make main story progress and one of the icons is for the odyssey.