Assassin's Creed Odyssey

7 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Yeah - I've turned off the HDR entirely as it was truly buggered. I thought it was Windows, but apparently not.

I find it surprising that you recommend Origins, as lots of people (see above) appear to recommend this over that. I imagine that the landmarks in Origins are a bit more memorable. One Greek island looks much like another, as lovely as they are. I assume I'll come across the Acropolis and so on if I keep playing, but the lack of a big city with lots of buildings (so far, anyway) is making this feel more like a poor man's Witcher 3 than the other AC games I've played.

Yeah. I really liked Origins. It has some wonderfully memorable locations and the basic story is simple and it's easy to root for Bayek.

Odyssey introduced these stupid faction wars, bringing down nations and too much other nonsense that just made the game feel like a sprawling mess. All the locations look pretty much identical, and the story is a convoluted joke. Alexios, in particular, sounds like what my 3 year old would produce if you told him to be a baddie.

3 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Alexios, in particular, sounds like what my 3 year old would produce if you told him to be a baddie.

Well, you could always just play as hi- 

No, I can't go there; nobody wants to do that. Kassie all the way.

I’ve been playing this again recently — very much in the finishing up mode having bailed on it before reaching the end of any major stories. 

My spicy take is that it’s long. So freaking long. Just a handful of cult names to finish off but I hate the trend of hours = value. 

Appreciate I’m in the minority, but my favourite part was the Isu stuff. I just think that’s a key part of the series, for better or worse, and wasn’t a fan of how outside of the wider fiction this felt for the most part. 

Does that mean the Atlantis DLC might be something I like? How about first blade?

Despite moaning about this the other day, I've since put another 3-4 hours into it, unlocking the boat and making my way to the mainland. My criticisms of its depthlessness still stand, and after about 45 minutes or so of playing it I start to get tired of how repetitive and frictionless it all is and turn it off, but then again I haven't stopped playing it, not yet, anyway. It's very much the gaming equivalent of a simple, sugary carbohydrate - it looks tempting and you like it for the first few mouthfuls, but after a while you start to resent it and end up leaving it to pick at again later. I'm almost certain I'm never going to finish it and should probably just stop playing it, but for the time being I like looking at it and seeing how smoothly it runs on my PC, so I'll keep chipping away at it for a while.

so I have definitely got the point where its time to say farewell to Cassandra and crew, finished the story ages ago and the dlc's recently, all the cult tossers have been felled and the main missions. id be like 76 if I did all the blue missions and don't feel they offer anything so ill be uninstalling.

230 hours is a long long time to spend on a game but I thoroughly enjoyed it although by the end it did feel totally Ubi cookie cutter stuff and the pacing after the main story falls off. 

I hope Valhalla is more focussed and the gear upgrading more focussed and hook based like destiny. I'd love no map no pointers and just coming across missions and quests as you enter places through exploration.

I keep meaning to go back to this after completing the main quest line back in May and having subsequent burn out from all the hours I had put into it at that point. Problem is I'm in deep in another Ubisoft open world, Watchdogs 2, at the moment and I probably need a rest from it all before inevitably starting Valhalla.

After finishing the three ‘main’ stories, I started the Atlantis dlc which I seem to own the first part of somehow. 

The prologue was extremely my shit — especially the bouncing back and forth between modern day and Kassandra. 

But since it got properly underway, it’s just the same forts and bases as the main game in a new location. Is there enough animus/bleeding effect/tacky assassins creed sci fi to come that it’s worth pushing through? Maybe a break is in order. 

I'm trying to just mainline this as all of the side-quests I've undertaken so far have been boring fetch quests, or 'Go here, kill X' quests, which I'm not bothered about. The next main quest, however ('Welcome to Athens'), is recommended for level 15 players and I've only just got to level 14. Do I have to grind levels by doing side-quests and clearing icons and so on? Because I really can't be arsed. Presumably the division between my level and the recommended level for the main quest will continue to broaden as the game goes on and I don't do anything except for the main story?

You can probably get by more or less on the mainline, but it's important to note that certain things that look like sidequests (the cultist thread in particular) are in fact mainline. I wouldn't do everything (especially when it doesn't seem like you're enjoying it - from what I know about your tastes, this is like the polar opposite) but you could probably do cultists, the mythical beast hunts and major side stuff and then glide through. The world levels with you as you go above the minimums, so you'll never be too overpowered.

3 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

You can probably get by more or less on the mainline, but it's important to note that certain things that look like sidequests (the cultist thread in particular) are in fact mainline. I wouldn't do everything (especially when it doesn't seem like you're enjoying it - from what I know about your tastes, this is like the polar opposite) but you could probably do cultists, the mythical beast hunts and major side stuff and then glide through. The world levels with you as you go above the minimums, so you'll never be too overpowered.

Cheers. I've been doing some of the Cultist stuff as well, although most of the ones I've encountered so far have been a lot higher level than me. The only mythical beast I've encountered so far is this Cyclops guy who was about level 45 and pulverised me instantly.

I am enjoying it. Sort of. I think. Though I did stop playing it after about 45 minutes this evening to do something else instead. I don't know. It's ok, I suppose. It certainly looks and sounds lovely, and I'm constantly impressed by how detailed everything is. I get a similar impression playing it that I got from RDR2, howevry: the devs have obviously spent thousands of man hours in developing the world, but then they don't really give you a huge amount of incentive to explore it by given you much that's worthwhile to do, beyond completing the aforementioned fetch quests, anyway. It just seems like a bit of a waste.

Anyway, I've left it installed on my PC so I'll dip in and out of it as the mood takes me and hopefully see it through to the end, unless it does something especially heinous.

I should warn you that the grind only gets worse as you move on. You can pay Ubisoft for the Permanent XP boost which is why they put so much grind in the game from the beginning. I love so much about this game but when I got to around level 28 had to give up due to not being able to get on with the main quest.

Sorry to add a downer but I do think Unisoft spoiled a terrific game with a cynical cash grab. But if you are in love with Kassandra and don't mind mopping up the icons this may be worth your time.

Just now, Mawdlin said:

I should warn you that the grind only gets worse as you move on. You can pay Ubisoft for the Permanent XP boost which is why they put so much grind in the game from the beginning. I love so much about this game but when I got to around level 28 had to give up due to not being able to get on with the main quest.

Sorry to add a downer but I do think Unisoft spoiled a terrific game with a cynical cash grab. But if you are in love with Kassandra and don't mind mopping up the icons this may be worth your time.

Hmm. That doesn't sound good. I can't say I'm really in love with Kassandra - her characterisation is inconsistent to say the least - and I definitely do mind mopping up icons as a gameplay feature.

So does it get to the point where you can't continue the main quest(s) without doing extra stuff?

I geniunely never felt a need to grind - and that was on normal - did anyone who felt like they had to just think about knocking it down to easy? I did a few side quests sure but I don't see why someone wouldn't want too - its part of the whole experience. It would be like just playing the main quest in Skyrim and leaving it at that.

The felt overall too easy to me -with a little bit of thought it was really easy to make overpowered builds that just decimate enemies and camps

12 minutes ago, Uzi said:

I geniunely never felt a need to grind - and that was on normal - did anyone who felt like they had to just think about knocking it down to easy? I did a few side quests sure but I don't see why someone wouldn't want too - its part of the whole experience. It would be like just playing the main quest in Skyrim and leaving it at that.

The felt overall too easy to me -with a little bit of thought it was really easy to make overpowered builds that just decimate enemies and camps

I'd be more inclined to do the side-quests if they were interesting, but so far all of them have been either fetch quests or requests to kill particular people/animals which are really just thinly-veiled ways to get you to explore the map and mop up icons. There's little variety when it comes to the gameplay.

You could put the main quests down to the same activities to be fair - if you don't enjoy the gameplay loop then the distinction between the two gets blurred anyway and may be  just forcing your way through to the game for an overall so so main story - but some of the beats and smaller tales in the main quest were a lot of fun. Some of the side quests had some very memorable and funny narratives. The most fun I had in the game was hunting down all of the cultists which is completely optional.

Being brutally honest - judging by your earliest posts I don't think you'll get much enjoyment through the rest of the game! Which I get - it isn't for everyone. I found the whole experience really relaxing because I could switch my brain off for a bit and enjoy ancient greece and some stupidity to go with it.

I think that's a good point that a lot of the main quests are quite similar to the side quests so there's not much distinction. I personally wanted to 'speed' through the game to see where the narrative went but ended up feeling held back, and ultimately giving up about 30 hours in. I reckon I hadn't even opened a third of the map at that point. As much as I loved this universe for the time I played it there's just too many other fantastic games out there to keep doing the same Ubi loop over and over again.

Just now, Mawdlin said:

I think that's a good point that a lot of the main quests are quite similar to the side quests so there's not much distinction. I personally wanted to 'speed' through the game to see where the narrative went but ended up feeling held back, and ultimately giving up about 30 hours in. I reckon I hadn't even opened a third of the map at that point. As much as I loved this universe for the time I played it there's just too many other fantastic games out there to keep doing the same Ubi loop over and over again.

I completely get that. The world has a lot of allure but you're forced to stay in it for a long time and I think with so many games vying for your time - it is better to cut your losses when it comes to the ubisoft open world formula if you're not enjoying it a lot. I spent over 100 hours in it (season pass and getting all the cultists) because it was just such a good way to switch off after work or something but it definitely isn't deep or compelling.

Agree with @Uzi's posts.

I absolutely loved this game, loved Kassandra, loved exploring the truly enormous map, pretty much cleared the entire thing and sunk over 120 hours into it but it is probably too big for its own good and if your enjoyment is beginning to waver fairly early on then I'd cut your losses and move on to something you really enjoy.

Even if you mainline the story and only do as much side stuff as is needed to meet the level requirements for the main quests you're still looking at a huge amount of playtime. Life's too short to grumble your way through something that's not lifting your (Ancient Greek) skirt up.

• 4 weeks later...

Really enjoying this again at the moment. Working on 100% and hit a bastard of a difficulty spike, the giant farting boar.

It charges, farts, poisons and within seconds i'm dead!

I need to kill it, one of the legendary animals for the Daughters of Artemis questline but it's an absolute twat. All the other animals have fallen easily so far and this is the last one.

3 minutes ago, Jg15 said:

Really enjoying this again at the moment. Working on 100% and hit a bastard of a difficulty spike, the giant farting boar.

It charges, farts, poisons and within seconds i'm dead!

I need to kill it, one of the legendary animals for the Daughters of Artemis questline but it's an absolute twat. All the other animals have fallen easily so far and this is the last one.

If that’s the second boar, then I cheesed it by going to the nearest town and killing everyone so that 3 or 4 mercenaries turned up. I then kited them all back to the boar pen so that they did most of the dirty work. No idea how you’re meant to kill it on your own!

Just now, BongoInferno said:

If that’s the second boar, then I cheesed it by going to the nearest town and killing everyone so that 3 or 4 mercenaries turned up. I then kited them all back to the boar pen so that they did most of the dirty work. No idea how you’re meant to kill it on your own!

Holy shit, that's genius!