Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Hitcher

54 minutes ago, Rayn said:

Ok, because all you fuckers told me to start over I actually started over. I’ve skipped all cutscenes so far as I’m trying to rush up to the point I got to with Mr Mullet but it was actually quite fun to rush through the first island again. 
Can’t wait for my next session as I’m close to where I left MacGyver.

So, glad you did it or can't tell the difference?

Actually was there anyone on here who liked Alexios?

13 minutes ago, davidcotton said:

So, glad you did it or can't tell the difference?

Actually was there anyone on here who liked Alexios?

:hat:

He's the kind of deep-voiced cheesecake you'd find in a 50s sword and sandal film, and for me he fit the tone of the game better than Kasssandra.

1 hour ago, Gloomy Andy said:

What's the general consensus between this and Origins?

The setting of origins is more appealing to me.  

I've not played an AC game since 2. 

Also I've not played Horizon if that makes a difference to what open world game to play next. 

Thanks all

Origins is brilliant and if you love ancient and Greek era Egypt you'll wet yourself - wandering around the Pyramid crypts is amazing.

I've still yet to play Odyssey, but I can certainly recommend Origins having spent about 90 hours with it and the DLC this year.

For reference I've  played AC1, 2, Syndicate and Origins - the latter is by far the best one I've played.

Horizon is great but feels like a very different game

1 hour ago, Gloomy Andy said:

What's the general consensus between this and Origins?

The setting of origins is more appealing to me.  

I've not played an AC game since 2. 

Also I've not played Horizon if that makes a difference to what open world game to play next. 

Thanks all

Origins is fantastic, so much so that I completed it 100% all achievements including DLC.

I think Odyssey is equally as good although I havent finished all of it yet, got a bit burnt out but I intend to go back at some point to mop up the last few quests and DLC. These huge AC games are sometimes overwhelming.

As @dreamylittledream says, Horizion is a different kettle of fish (even though open world) but its a more tighter and smaller world with far less open ended quests.

I personally enjoy most open world games so all of these tick the boxes for me.

Odyssey > Origins.

Played both, completed main story in both, pretty much rinsed Odyssey. Origins started down Assassins Creed RPG lite, but didn’t fully commit. Odyssey’s cult members gave you much more of a free form assassinate target game to play.

9 hours ago, Thor said:

I much preferred Odyssey. I grew tired of playing as whatever the dude's name was, playing as Aya was better, for the brief time you do.

I never understood why the game has you play as Bayek for 99% of it and then randomly switches to 

Spoiler

Aya right at the end, with her terrible low level swords to fight "one hit kill, sword on a chain Roman guy". Makes for a rubbish end boss fight.

They would have been better served using both characters equally throughout the game, kind of like Syndicate. 

2 minutes ago, Jg15 said:

They would have been better served using both characters equally throughout the game, kind of like Syndicate.

I believe that was the plan, the actress did loads more voice work for the game than what we actually got, but … well, I'm sure you've seen all the sexist shit come out of Ubisoft. 

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

I believe that was the plan, the actress did loads more voice work for the game than what we actually got, but … well, I'm sure you've seen all the sexist shit come out of Ubisoft. 

Yep, makes sense now and Odyssey is all the better for giving you the choice, Kassandra all the way!

I didn't mind Bayek mind you, just had him wear that lion mask through most of the game so never really saw his face.

I skipped Origins to play Odyssey so I can't comment on that, but comparing Odyssey to Horizon is interesting.  Visually, I think Horizon wins it as I adore the style of that game, and that's despite me playing Odyssey on my XB1X and HZD on my vanilla PS4.

But other than that, I would choose Odyssey.  I found the narrative more interesting, Kassandra > Aloy, the skill moves in Odyssey feel great in combat etc.

That's not to say the narrative, the protagonist or the combat in HZD aren't any good - they're all VERY good, particularly combat - but personally, Odyssey was a more enjoyable experience.

If you have a spare x hundred hours, I would absolutely play both as they're great games but if I had to choose between them, I vote Kassandra.

4 minutes ago, Jg15 said:

Yep, makes sense now and Odyssey is all the better for giving you the choice, Kassandra all the way!

I didn't mind Bayek mind you, just had him wear that lion mask through most of the game so never really saw his face.

I would have thought Bayek was the perfect name for the forthcoming title Assassins Creed: Yorkshire?

Of the three I much preferred Horizon: Zero Dawn. I really enjoyed both Origins and Odyssey and notched up a good 40 hours of fun in each but then they outstayed their welcome.

As mentioned Horizon is tighter and the the robot combat is wonderful. It also has a terrific story. The millions of side-quests in the Ubi games (which you are forced to do to reach a high enough level to progress) really irked me after a while. I do hope the levelling is addressed in Valhalla but I doubt it.

21 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

The millions of side-quests in the Ubi games (which you are forced to do to reach a high enough level to progress) really irked me after a while. I do hope the levelling is addressed in Valhalla but I doubt it.

It’s not the amount of quests that bugs me but the fact that the level requirements change based on what level you are. When I played as Alexios, when I got to Megaris after aquiring the ship, the first badguy leader dude I had to take out was level 8. When I started over with the girl I rinsed up more on the first island and was level 9 when I got to Megaris. Now the same badguy was level 10. So much for grinding levels....

The levelling doesn't make much sense, it's true. Once you've out-levelled an area, it just slowly increases so it's always (from memory) 3 levels below yours. It's just there to make certain areas unwelcoming until the story sends you there, I guess. I'm not sure the game needs levels at all. They're just there because they've decided to be more RPG and RPGs have levels. A cargo cult.

3 hours ago, Rayn said:

It’s not the amount of quests that bugs me but the fact that the level requirements change based on what level you are. When I played as Alexios, when I got to Megaris after aquiring the ship, the first badguy leader dude I had to take out was level 8. When I started over with the girl I rinsed up more on the first island and was level 9 when I got to Megaris. Now the same badguy was level 10. So much for grinding levels....

I want to say you can turn off the level scaling but it's been so long since I played I can't remember exactly how or if it's even this game that does it.

Quality post is quality.

Yes, you have an option to set the degree of level scaling; can't recall if you can turn it off completely, but you can certainly have it lag below your level. I seem to recall it being aggressive, normal or mild. That sort of thing.

• 2 weeks later...

So I've clocked around 40 hours now and I'm level 38 or something like that.

I've really enjoyed the game so far but it's starting to grind my gears that every time I follow one of the main quest lines it always stops at a difficulty wall where I'm forced to halt progression and have to travel all over Greece in hunt of minor tasks to help me gather enough XP points to gain those last couple of levels needed to continue my actual journey. 

It's not that I dislike the lesser self contained quest lines as a lot of them are really enjoyable but I can't help but think that the game could've been a lot better with a tighter direction around the leveling/quest system.

Too often does something major happen that gets my adrenaline pumping and I'm really eager to seek revenge but I'm instantly let down when I find out that I need to go off and do chores for three hours before I get my revenge, at which point my adrenaline levels have normalised and I'm no longer as eager to crack skulls. 

There's another thing that confuse me a little, but I might just be a tad thick. Some times I struggle to know who to side with and why. In the early stages of the game I helped the Atheneans to get rid of Spartans but now I've moved to Sparta and suddenly I've decided to help them, yet when I travel through Spartan controlled areas I'm told to clean out forts housing Spartans and steal the national treasure, which weakens the grip Spartans have over said area. It just doesn't make any sense to me. 

Overall, though, I keep stumbling over some really cool missions and some of them are very entertaining and memorable. One of my favourite adventures so far was a support mission for Barnabas, one of my crew members who drank some drug infused wine and had a vision of his wife which he lost at sea decades ago. He had me on a wild goose chase all over the country to find his wife and while searching for her I met a lot of interesting characters. It was clear to me that a lot of love had gone into this specific mission as it had loads of well written dialogue and really unique encounters that delved into loneliness and insanity and the very fine line that keeps them apart. The mission ended with a trophy that was "Rare", which means not a lot of people have opted to finish this particular quest line and that makes me a bit sad as it's clearly an adventure that everyone should experience, to me it stood out as a narrative masterpiece and in many ways it reminded me of the infamous Robbing the Cradle level from Thief 3. 

• 2 weeks later...

Finished the vanilla game a couple of days ago, meaning all three main odysseys were rinsed. My favourite odyssey was actually the Atlantis one as it featured some actual mythical beasts and some of the boss fights were super intense. I did the last boss at level 48 while the boss was level 50 for extra difficulty, which probably dragged out the fight with another 10 minutes but it felt like an awesome fight.

Taking down the cult turned out to be my least favourite quest line as a small handfull of cultists could only be unlocked in a very cumbersome manner. Overall a fantastic ride, I might even go for the platinum trophy on this while doing the dlc’s. I’ve done first episode of the first dlc and I must admit that either is the magical touch abcent from this part of the game or I’m simply starting to get a bit full.

I’ve just finished the second DLC after completing the main game. Just a few tales of Greece side quests left to do and I’ve rinsed the whole thing. I’ve loved it. The first DLC is pretty average but the second is probably the best DLC I’ve played for any game. It has three new world maps, new game mechanics, some great codas to storylines in then main game and is probably the same length as a lot of full priced games. I really recommend it. 

Finished the first DLC yesterday and overall it was merely ok. It felt like the directors wanted to do something epic but the overall experience was a bit flat, tbh. It had some interesting missions but after chasing down and killing off the cult in the vanilla game the ancients in the DLC struck me as a "been there, done that to death" job. Even the achievements/trophies for the DLC episodes screamed lazyness as you had to do things that didn't have anything to do with any of the story lines/missions unique to the DLC. I mean, get 10 headshots with a specific hunter skill while having a specific staff equipped? Really? 

The entire bloodline thing also felt very superficial, forced and rushed. It all happened so quickly that I never got to feel any connection to what was happening, it was so predictable that I never really cared. 

Starting up The Fate of Atlantis, however, now that's how you do a DLC. It changes up the environments, the combat (the energy stealing enemies are great) and the overall feel of the game and finally I feel immersed again. I'm only at the end of episode 1 but I really can't wait to continue my journey through Elysium.

Assassins Creed Odyssey is well on its way to become one of my favourite games from this generation and Kassandra might very well be my favourite female main character in any game ever.  

• 3 weeks later...

180 hours and finished the final dlc, love Cassandra and the world but after arriving back in Greece it seems I have like another 4000 quests to do.

I spent the last week completing the Atlantis dlc after a hiatus all ready for Valhalla but it just keeps going on and on.

I cant help but feel they need to make you feel incentive to continue as the gear and weapons never feel special, they've never managed to get that Destiny hook into these games chasing stuff and making them feel worthwhile.

Although one of the best games this gen for me, I do think Ubi games are far too big for the sake of it with alot of the DLC just formulaic base clearing and it all gets tiresome.

Assassins Creed shouldnt be a games as service type of affair as its at its most engaging and fun when the campaign and writing are intertwined and most entertaining.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm 3 and a half hours into this, playing on PC, and I can't say I'm particularly enthralled so far.

It looks pretty, I suppose, and I like how you can climb and parkour over everything as it makes traversing the world very quick and easy. Beyond that, however, it all feels a bit depthless and perfunctory - a game that's been focus grouped within an inch of its life.

The combat, especially, lacks heft and is so easy that there's no tension at all: I just use my magic bird to tag all the enemies in a given area, shoot them all in the head using my magic bow and its magic arrows (that I can apparently control through sheer force of will) and that's pretty much it. Any enemies who, for whatever reason, I don't snipe from afar I can just mash RB against until they die. Occasionally, I'll have to dodge away from them or sometimes even parry their attacks, but normally it's a lot easier to just back up a few steps so that I can try shooting them in the head again instead, which usually works. I feel like I could play it with my eyes closed. Or at least I do until I come across an enemy who happens to have a number above their head which is bigger than mine, in which case three arrows to their unarmoured face from point blank range is apparently not sufficiently fatal and I just have to run away from them until I can come back when my number matches theirs. It's just a bit silly, really.

The exploration has also been naff, so far, anyway. You explore identikit caves or camps and kill the identikit enemies you encounter there to get gear which is very slightly different from what you have already. You'll then equip said gear for all of 15 minutes before you come across some more very slightly better gear which you equip instead and then recycle the gear you were wearing earlier so you can add to your quantity of crafting materials to make even more very slightly better gear. My character is apparently lugging around 40 logs of olive wood somewhere about her person, but you wouldn't know it from the ease with which she scampers up seemingly any surface, no matter how vertical.

I haven't played an Assassin's Creed game since Blackflag, which I enjoyed for 40 hours but never completed, and it seems that in the interim between that game and this one the gameplay has been altered significantly, and not for the better. I've never played Destiny or The Division or similar GaaS games, but the focus here on loot and fetch quests and ability cooldowns and slightly higher numbers and crafting materials makes me feel that Ubisoft have spent a lot of time looking at those games and thinking about how they can replicate a lot of their most infamous systems in this one.

Anyway, lots of you seem to really enjoy and see fit to have put 100+ hours into it, so what am I missing? I'm currently playing on Normal and wonder if turning the difficulty up will make things a bit more exciting, but I predict that it'll just give enemies more health and make them even more bullet arrow spongy.

Any tips on how I can get more from this? Or, as I fear, is it simply not for me?

Sounds about right. I would say play Origins instead. Better story, far better locations, less pointless busywork and no dull grinding. The world is smaller and wonderfully varied. 

It also has truly wonderful HDR which they messed up in Odyssey. 

I remember being in a pyramid and thinking my OLED had turned off because it was pitch black. 

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

Sounds about right. I would say play Origins instead. Better story, far better locations, less pointless busywork and no dull grinding. The world is smaller and wonderfully varied. 

It also has truly wonderful HDR which they messed up in Odyssey. 

I remember being in a pyramid and thinking my OLED had turned off because it was pitch black. 

Yeah - I've turned off the HDR entirely as it was truly buggered. I thought it was Windows, but apparently not.

I find it surprising that you recommend Origins, as lots of people (see above) appear to recommend this over that. I imagine that the landmarks in Origins are a bit more memorable. One Greek island looks much like another, as lovely as they are. I assume I'll come across the Acropolis and so on if I keep playing, but the lack of a big city with lots of buildings (so far, anyway) is making this feel more like a poor man's Witcher 3 than the other AC games I've played.

7 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Yeah - I've turned off the HDR entirely as it was truly buggered. I thought it was Windows, but apparently not.

I find it surprising that you recommend Origins, as lots of people (see above) appear to recommend this over that. I imagine that the landmarks in Origins are a bit more memorable. One Greek island looks much like another, as lovely as they are. I assume I'll come across the Acropolis and so on if I keep playing, but the lack of a big city with lots of buildings (so far, anyway) is making this feel more like a poor man's Witcher 3 than the other AC games I've played.

Yeah. I really liked Origins. It has some wonderfully memorable locations and the basic story is simple and it's easy to root for Bayek.

Odyssey introduced these stupid faction wars, bringing down nations and too much other nonsense that just made the game feel like a sprawling mess. All the locations look pretty much identical, and the story is a convoluted joke. Alexios, in particular, sounds like what my 3 year old would produce if you told him to be a baddie.