rllmuk
Hitcher

Assassin's Creed Odyssey

I was noticeably over-levelled for nearly the whole game. Always confused me the folk saying it was grindy. Wonder why it's so different for different people. 

18 minutes ago, deerokus said:

I was noticeably over-levelled for nearly the whole game. Always confused me the folk saying it was grindy. Wonder why it's so different for different people. 

Probably related to how much stuff you actually do. It's definitely tuned to at least nudge you to XP boosts. There was a couple of points during my run through the main story where I needed to go hunting for side quests and I was doing a lot of them anyway. I would hope they don't do XP boosts in the next one but it's Ubisoft so yeah.

*Edit* I'll put it this way. The game doesn't have automatically generated quests like "Kill me five wolves" because the devs thought they were fun. :)

• Upvote 1

I assume it's just a straight function of how much you engage with the side and optional stuff. If you mainline just the main questline, I can believe you'll end up under-levelled several times, but then also realise late in the game that there was a bunch of apparently optional stuff that you should have been doing and are now gated behind, not for levelling reasons.

I didn't feel any need to even think about the purchaseable stuff at all. I was way overlevelled the whole way through. And once you get overlevelled, the world levels with you anyway.

I am eyeing this up after getting back into origins after a year but is it just a prettier cookie cutter version of it?

Is there anything distinctly different or evolved about it?

3 minutes ago, Ran said:

I am eyeing this up after getting back into origins after a year but is it just a prettier cookie cutter version of it?

Set 400 years or so before origins, it’s got proper black flag type war-sailing, which was missing from origins. (Only had canoes, and that one mission near the end). Island hopping too.

And it’s Ancient Greece, so “there are many steps and columns”...

• Upvote 5

45 minutes ago, Ran said:

It's more like a fully fledged version of what it was hinting at being. It's a proper RPG now. 

I'm up to episode 3 of the first DLC and man. I can see why people were unhappy. It's a really forced scenario that I suspect most people didn't like and didn't want for their Kassandra (Dunno what Alexios gets). Every single emotional beat feels completely unearned and unwanted. I haven't read exactly what they patched in after the complaints but I can guess and it actually makes it worse if that's possible.

A baby? With that bland dipshit? I don't even. What was Barnabus and the boat doing all this time while you were playing happy families? What about the cult and the order? Why did nobody think staying in Greece was a bad idea after eveyone said it was a bad idea? The worst part for me is it takes away any player agency. Players previously could choose who they had sex with and when. Want a gay character? Just have sexy times with ladies. No sex? Sorted. This just upends all that in the worst way possible and with a character you don't even have the time to get a proper connection with if you're weird enough to actually like the boring fucker.

• Upvote 1

I finished the first DLC and while the story didn't work for me I still love the core gameplay loop and the last cutscene was a nice touch. I've mopped up the last of the order now and I'm moving onto Atlantis. I think if I had one request for the next game it's that backstabbing was always an instant kill. In this (And Origins) it feels too random. If I've got the drop on someone reward me for it.

I played Origins on my X but burned out after the main story. I think I'll play it again but in ultra ferps on my PC.

Quick question. Does gear go above level 50? If yes what's the new level cap?

It took me hours to do the prelude and get to the Atlantis DLC properly but I'm really enjoying myself.

Prelude spoilers

The mythical beast fights were great. I didn't have to fight the Sphynx. I needed to keep moving for the minotaur, the Cyclops fight was great fun. Medusa was the least fun but not terribly hard

Spoiler for opening the seal

I love the way Kassandra appeared in the present day thanks to the staff. It felt oddly good seeing her there in regular clothes. I really like the back and forth between Kassandra and the present day doing the tomb dives

Chapter 1

I'm still working my way through this. I have three out of the four enhancements but so far only the one actually seems useful. The new map feels very contructed (obviously) and contrained after the wild openness of Greece but the visuals are a welcome change. I ghosted through my first major outpost like a murder motherfucker. Only had to fight one guy. Tried to kick him off the wall but he was resistant. Phobos is now a red eyed death horse. It really wants to encourage stealth in this map. The mobs are proper sods when in groups. I've actually died a few times. Ran away from Kolossi a few times too. Happily stealth kills don't count as "bloodshed" and wake them up

:)

If anyone fancies playing Origins cheap then uplay is probably the best bet for PC. They have the gold edition for 18.75 (75% off).

1 hour ago, Flub said:

It took me hours to do the prelude and get to the Atlantis DLC properly but I'm really enjoying myself.

Prelude spoilers

Reveal hidden contents

The mythical beast fights were great. I didn't have to fight the Sphynx. I needed to keep moving for the minotaur, the Cyclops fight was great fun. Medusa was the least fun but not terribly hard

Reveal hidden contents

I love the way Kassandra appeared in the present day thanks to the staff. It felt oddly good seeing her there in regular clothes. I really like the back and forth between Kassandra and the present day doing the tomb dives

Chapter 1

Reveal hidden contents

I'm still working my way through this. I have three out of the four enhancements but so far only the one actually seems useful. The new map feels very contructed (obviously) and contrained after the wild openness of Greece but the visuals are a welcome change. I ghosted through my first major outpost like a murder motherfucker. Only had to fight one guy. Tried to kick him off the wall but he was resistant. Phobos is now a red eyed death horse. It really wants to encourage stealth in this map. The mobs are proper sods when in groups. I've actually died a few times. Ran away from Kolossi a few times too. Happily stealth kills don't count as "bloodshed" and wake them up

If anyone fancies playing Origins cheap then uplay is probably the best bet for PC. They have the gold edition for 18.75 (75% off).

Origins is cheaper at the Epic store - if you have a £10 coupon still then it is £8.74 for the Gold edition.

Chapter 1 of Atlantis done. That was fun but felt articifially extended by the need to weaken the territories. If you like that gameplay however it's fun. One of the outposts I ended up doing was the biggest I've ever seen. I checked it out and couldn't even figure out where to start for a while. Then it turned into a death trap for the badguys as I stealthed my way around on a murder mission :)

Chapter 2 is a nice change of scenery and seems to have upped the difficulty. Spoiler for one of the two initial quests

It was nice to see Phoebe again and good to give her a proper ending. I did like that we spent a lot of time and effort getting from Elysium to The Underworld and then you find out Pheobe just strolled in. Because of course she did :) Was very pleasant killing the Cyclops again and good to see the goat again.

And of course I load the game back up and despite me saving before I quit It's managed to lose the last three hours of gameplay. Fucks sake.

*Edit* And of course it's put me back to before I did the biggest outpost in existence. I'm not sure I can do this anymore now. I can't trust it. It's even wiped any autosaves for the last three hours.

23 hours ago, Flub said:

Prelude spoilers

Hide contents

Hide contents

Chapter 1

Reveal hidden contents

I keep thinking about how hot she looked

Chapter 2 done. The Underworld was a nice change of pace. No conquest, only one big outpost that I just skirted around anyway and some good solid quests.

F0OrdOX.jpg

tUR63hX.png

Chapter 3 now. Atlantis proper and fuck me it looks glorious. Give those Ubisoft artists a raise

ajmlROd.jpg

ANjrWxB.jpg

9MVPHcU.jpg

yIw8VB4.jpg

• Upvote 2

So I'm just finishing off Origins (have the Pharaoh DLC to do) and am wondering whether to play Red Dead next or Odyssey.

I have really enjoyed Origins and have a hankering to continue into Odyssey but worried I will get AC burn out (I know Red Dead is as equally a huge game). Is there much of a difference between the two games (other than setting) that it wont feel too much the same?

2 hours ago, Jg15 said:

So I'm just finishing off Origins (have the Pharaoh DLC to do) and am wondering whether to play Red Dead next or Odyssey.

I have really enjoyed Origins and have a hankering to continue into Odyssey but worried I will get AC burn out (I know Red Dead is as equally a huge game). Is there much of a difference between the two games (other than setting) that it wont feel too much the same?

odyssey. Its an actual working example of “bigger is better”, compared to origins.

Everything you enjoyed about egypt, but Greek, and 400 years earlier. So more sailing, more locations, more familiarity. 

More varied, and there are many steps and columns.

and you mean red dead 2, right? Never played it.

Spoiler

Apparently I completed the first AC game on 360 in 2012. Since then I’ve pretty much played through the mainstream titles on release or in pairs. I did origins and odyssey back to back.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, SeanR said:

More varied, and there are many steps and columns.

Reveal hidden contents

Apparently I completed the first AC game on 360 in 2012. Since then I’ve pretty much played through the mainstream titles on release or in pairs. I did origins and odyssey back to back.

But sometimes it is not most tranquil.

• Upvote 1

Cheers Sean, I will probably get into Odyssey then. I know they are the kind of games you can put down for a few months and pick up again without struggling to remember things overly (I started Origins over two years ago before having a good 18 month break from it and then smashing it).

We must be due a new Assassins Creed this year so I need to catch up anyway.

11 minutes ago, Jg15 said:

Cheers Sean, I will probably get into Odyssey then. I know they are the kind of games you can put down for a few months and pick up again without struggling to remember things overly (I started Origins over two years ago before having a good 18 month break from it and then smashing it).

We must be due a new Assassins Creed this year so I need to catch up anyway.

AC Ragnarok, apparently. 

Since this was on free play I decided to give it a spin. Always fancied it because I'm a sucker for the Greek setting but could never justify it as I have Origins sitting on my pile of shame as it came with my Xbox one X. 

Anyway after giving it a spin it's really good. So much in fact that I have stopped playing it so I don't spoil it for later. It's convinced me to dig out Origins and play through that so I can justify a purchase of this at a later date. 

• Upvote 1

Yep been giving this a spin this weekend to see how my pc would hold up.  Surprisingly playable given I've only got 8 gig of ram in it.  Most of the time it's fine with just a little stutter now and then but nothing too bad.  Probably get it.