rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Hitcher

Assassin's Creed Odyssey

What's aggravating me about this game is the level up system and how it's tied into the spear which in turn is linked to the cultist assassinations. Oh my Christ, I've got about 7 skill points to spend and can't do it until I first meticulously track down and murder the targets - 9 (nine!) of them! - then steal their subsequent piece of stick and ship it over to an island for the upgrade. :hmm:

You can at least fast travel to the spear island. But yes, you do get a bit overloaded in the early mid-game. All the legendary animals, the cultists, the mercenaries, the Lost Tales (or whatever they're called) plus the actual story and side missions, plus if you're doing any noticeboard bounties.

I fucking nailed those cultists and mercs though. Fuck those guys.

What annoyed me about the spear thing was that it didn't make me any stronger in itself. Just unlocked upgrades.

Well I think I've just about done the main game!

Spoiler

All cultists killed

All legendary animals slaughtered

Sphinx, Medusa, Cyclops and Minotaur annihilated

King (queen) of the Arena

Still not reached the top of the mercenary tree yet but otherwise, that was 80-odd hours of top class gaming with a surprising lack of repetition for such a huge game. They got the upgrades system spot on. Now I'm at level 52 I'm hard as nails and the special abilities look fantastic when you know how and when to use them.

Now to start the DLC - I've deliberately stayed away from it.

One of the very best games I've ever played - so much content and all of it looks, sounds and plays beautifully. I never had a single issue with pacing, nor did I have to halt my progress in order to level up as there are so many things to do all over the map.

Comfortably the best AC game to date. Hoping for one set in Ancient Rome next....

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Boothjan said:

Ah. Viking are cool, that's okay by me. 

Rome for 2022-ish though please, Ubisoft! So much potential!

They did Rome already in AC Brotherhood I can’t see them going back.

29 minutes ago, ryodi said:

They did Rome already in AC Brotherhood I can’t see them going back.

Ancient Rome, like a continuation of Origins...

11 hours ago, Boothjan said:

Well I think I've just about done the main game!

Hide contents

All cultists killed

All legendary animals slaughtered

Sphinx, Medusa, Cyclops and Minotaur annihilated

King (queen) of the Arena

Still not reached the top of the mercenary tree yet but otherwise, that was 80-odd hours of top class gaming with a surprising lack of repetition for such a huge game. They got the upgrades system spot on. Now I'm at level 52 I'm hard as nails and the special abilities look fantastic when you know how and when to use them.

Now to start the DLC - I've deliberately stayed away from it.

One of the very best games I've ever played - so much content and all of it looks, sounds and plays beautifully. I never had a single issue with pacing, nor did I have to halt my progress in order to level up as there are so many things to do all over the map.

Comfortably the best AC game to date. Hoping for one set in Ancient Rome next....

perhaps skip the first dlc, though the second dlc I’ve gotten bored during the second episode.

9 hours ago, footle said:

perhaps skip the first dlc, though the second dlc I’ve gotten bored during the second episode.

I've got the season pass - does it matter what order you do them in? 

I like the boats! Maybe it's the countless hours I've spent on Sea of Thieves? 

Still reckon Rome during the height of the Julio Claudians would be unreal. So many locations, so much politics, myth, lore - it worked perfectly in Odyssey, I think it would be ever better in Rome. Britain, Egypt, Parthia, Gaul, Germania, Judaea - endless possibilities.

Assassins Creed Empire - 2021/22. Make it happen, Ubisoft! 

And done with 153 hours on the clock. All trophies including the DLC and lost tales of Greece complete. I didn't really enjoy either DLC than much and overall with the exception of Kassandra think Origins is a much better game whereas Odyssey just feels really samey with irritating mercenaries and endless questions marks on the map that are just another bunch of pointless loot to collect. I intend to go through the Ezio collection next year and while I've no doubt its aged the one benefit it does have is everything it a lot closer together, a lot of the playtime in Odyssey is just moving between areas.

I just finished the main questline. It was fun right up until it gave me two rubbish identical boss fights and then fizzled out. Control (Which I also finished today) did a similar thing.

I'm moving onto the DLC now. Because I love the gameplay.

So how's the pc port of this?  Got a semi decent pc (aside from ram).  I7-4790 @ 3.60, 8 gig ram (this is where I think the bottleneck would be) and a geforce 1060.  Ok with that or get it on console (which I don't have atm!)?

Is your RAM DDR3? Is that why you say it'd be the bottleneck?  8GB of DDR4 would be fine.  It's a pretty demanding open world engine, which is CPU and GPU intensive.  I'm not sure which of those would bottleneck you the most.

I have a Ryzen 2700x, 32gb DDR4, GTX1070 and I am playing on a mix of medium and high settings at 1080p (to attain a solid 60fps).  So you're going to need to dial right back, unless you're happy playing at 30fps on PC? 

2 hours ago, davejm said:

Is your RAM DDR3? Is that why you say it'd be the bottleneck?  8GB of DDR4 would be fine.  It's a pretty demanding open world engine, which is CPU and GPU intensive.  I'm not sure which of those would bottleneck you the most.

I have a Ryzen 2700x, 32gb DDR4, GTX1070 and I am playing on a mix of medium and high settings at 1080p (to attain a solid 60fps).  So you're going to need to dial right back, unless you're happy playing at 30fps on PC? 

How would I tell which ram type it is?  Not fussed by fps to be honest.  I was always told more ram is better and just assumed that because I only had 8 (prebought pc a while back) that might cause issues.

I'm honestly just contemplating buying a ps4 non pro to play these types of games now.  Only really got the pc for elite dangerous before the console versions were announced!

I'm being a donut, yeah 8GB of RAM is likely to be a bottleneck these days.  I was dozing off earlier so not with it.  It's 16gb which is recommended these days, which is what I was thinking when I read your post.

There's so much that I like about this game but I've had to give up around 28 hours in. Genuinely deflated and upset.

I'm sure it's been mentioned before but I feel Ubisoft killed this stone dead with its avarice. I actually feel pretty angry about it because the world is stunning and much of the gameplay is addictive but I simply don't want to have an open world blocked off to me until I either massively grind up levels or pay cash to get on with things. That asking me for extra cash in a single player campaign has been a conscious decision in the game design process.

It wasn't noticeable until I reached around level 12. Not having the requisite HP/skills to get on with the main quest I spent about 2 hours doing some sidey stuff to move on. Fine, I think. I do some more main quest and reach Athens. I'm loving this and I'm excited to explore where this is going plotwise. But I can't. I have to grind more hours doing side quests I'm not that interested in. Hmm... this feels a bit cynical but I'll persevere.

Out of interest I look up 'level grind Odyssey' online and see that this doesn't improve only gets worse. Much worse. I imagine what it must be like to go from level 34 to level 35. What about level 40 to 41? It doesn't help that enemies are already starting to be hitpoint sponges rather than becoming more difficult because of their intelligence or move sets.

I respect anyone who's enjoyed this. More power to you. But for me this has been an abomination of the term 'open world'.

Thanks Ubisoft for ruining your game with your own sodding greed.

This is the first game I've got where I really feel my 970 can no longer cut it at a level I'm happy with - so I feel a GPU upgrade is on the way!

28 minutes ago, Gabe said:

This is the first game I've got where I really feel my 970 can no longer cut it at a level I'm happy with - so I feel a GPU upgrade is on the way!

i7 9700k and a 2070 here. Running in 1440p it's quite the looker :)