Sign in to follow this  
Hitcher

Assassin's Creed Odyssey

On ‎04‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:52, Cosmic_Guru said:

:lol:

Buildings weren't particularly high though I suppose - just the temples, civic buildings and so forth which were built to impress (the Gods as much as the plebs).  The Colossus of Rhodes was 108 feet high and presumably owed it's name and fame to that (or possibly the size of the dude's meat and two veg).   

I'm fascinated to see how this IP evolves now, particularly in game-play, but also location - maybe Mexico / South America or Asia?  If it's going to be a sumptuous ARPG then so much the better imo.

My history with AC is very mixed but buying the retail game at least guarantees it's relatively cheap to experience.

My favourite AC games to date - 2, Brotherhood and Unity.

My most annoying AC games to date - Syndicate (poor effort with Victorian London I thought, especially when the likes of Vampyr have done a much better job at a fraction of the cost), III (simply the most annoying game ever, as it yanked you out for every single little thing you did out of character, but at least the little wooden games were lovely).

I found Origins lovely on the eye but rather tedious to play and the story just didn't grab me enough - doubtless it will turn up on GwG sooner or later and I can push on again.

Syndicate is my favourite!

• Upvote 1

Can anyone get the Club Ubisoft app to connect at the moment on XBox? I want to see what's free but it just hangs on connecting to servers.

So. I'm just about ready to get off the intro island. My early thoughts.

I love Kassandra as a character. That cut scene I described is played much funnier by her voice actress.

Voice acting in general is very well done

The gameplay is just what I came to love in Origins. I like the changes to skills and having a loadout (Eventually) rather than three different bows for example.

So beautiful

No snakes so far

This is already by far the best AC I've played. I don't feel I'm struggling with the game mechanisms in this one, plus the characters are genuinely fun!

Also looks considerably better than Origins - whether it's just my preference for the specific landscapes in this over egypt I'm not sure, but it's very nice indeed.

• Upvote 1

Glad to hear this is good. I shouldn’t have bothered with the Origins Season Pass. First bit wasn’t up to much and while I haven’t completely given up on the second bit, a bit of fatigue definitely set in. With so much out at the moment, I think I’ll probably hold off on this for a few months. 

Is there any reason to play this on the same console I played Origins on? I’ve got a One X now and all the unlocks on PS4 seemed to be linked to Uplay rather than my PSN account, anyway. 

2 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Glad to hear this is good. I shouldn’t have bothered with the Origins Season Pass. First bit wasn’t up to much and while I haven’t completely given up on the second bit, a bit of fatigue definitely set in. With so much out at the moment, I think I’ll probably hold off on this for a few months. 

Is there any reason to play this on the same console I played Origins on? I’ve got a One X now and all the unlocks on PS4 seemed to be linked to Uplay rather than my PSN account, anyway. 

Origins is goddamn gorgeous on the One X, if you have that console you would be doing yourself a massive disservice getting it on PS4 or Pro. Even if there was a "ah, I see you've played Origins" moment which there probably isn't.

7 hours ago, Trumpets said:

Glad that worked for you, but I did it for a physical PS4 copy last week and my game is currently in Germany.

Just FYI, it might be worth checking your emails: I received one from Ubisoft half an hour ago stating:

We’re sorry to tell you that there has been a delay with your order of Assassin's Creed Odyssey. We are working hard to get your game to you as quickly as is possible but have encountered an unforeseen logistical issue, hence the delay. 

And, more importantly, providing a redeemable key to download the game. Obviously it still means waiting for a 20gb download (and ~50gb install) to go through, but that's a lot better than waiting for the physical copy to arrive, and is a pretty decent response to the situation.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Origins is goddamn gorgeous on the One X, if you have that console you would be doing yourself a massive disservice getting it on PS4 or Pro. Even if there was a "ah, I see you've played Origins" moment which there probably isn't.

It seems the differences are not that many this time between the two versions though, according to DF at least. X is better but there is only ambient occlusion which misses from the Pro version, as far as features go. They also both run the same frames with no hiccups. I would say this is a great release for both consoles.

2 hours ago, Flub said:

Can anyone get the Club Ubisoft app to connect at the moment on XBox? I want to see what's free but it just hangs on connecting to servers.

So. I'm just about ready to get off the intro island. My early thoughts.

I love Kassandra as a character. That cut scene I described is played much funnier by her voice actress.

Voice acting in general is very well done

The gameplay is just what I came to love in Origins. I like the changes to skills and having a loadout (Eventually) rather than three different bows for example.

So beautiful

No snakes so far

How about spiders?

16 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Yeah, I’m just curious. Don’t think there’s any reason to get it on a PS4 Pro, though I remember Origins didn’t have 4K textures on X, just higher res. 

35 minutes ago, Wiper said:

Just FYI, it might be worth checking your emails: I received one from Ubisoft half an hour ago stating:

And, more importantly, providing a redeemable key to download the game. Obviously it still means waiting for a 20gb download (and ~50gb install) to go through, but that's a lot better than waiting for the physical copy to arrive, and is a pretty decent response to the situation.

I got an email saying it'll now be delivered Monday, but the only key is for The Blind King DLC; I've not received one for the full game. Did you order it on PS4 too?

Man this game can get crazy. Things went south for me inside a fort and before I knew it three mercs were hunting me as well as the soldiers. I got away with a bare sliver of health. Rested up, went back and gutted the bastards.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Trumpets said:

I got an email saying it'll now be delivered Monday, but the only key is for The Blind King DLC; I've not received one for the full game. Did you order it on PS4 too?

I did, yes (and also received the Blind King email, separately). My update wasn't as specific as yours in date, so I wonder if my physical copy is even further away than yours, hence the key. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Talk Show Host said:

Also. Use exploration mode. It really makes the game much better since you have to do more search and planning for everything instead of being led exactly where you need to go.

I'm the opposite. Unlike BOTW this game hasn't been designed around exploration mode and because AC games are chillout games for me I leave all of the map icons on and happily move between them to play the game. 

I'm still getting used to how light Kassandra feels compared to Bayek especially when you're in a fight but the best update so far in this game is how you can jump from any height and not die. You will only have a sliver of health left when you do but not desynching is one more thing that makes exploring fun.

• Empathy 1

the exploration mode is a touch of genius, the last game as great as it was was like joining the dots, the places loot and interesting encounters ive had by exploring have been brilliant.

GOTY so far for me 

How much better than Origins is this then? That was my first AC and I thought it was amazing, but probably went on a bit too long and ran out of steam towards the end. Saying that, I absolutely loved all the weird alien/futuristic tombs and that sense of strangeness in certain missions. Figuring out the map underneath the Sphinx linked to the stone circles I was finding around the place was a great moment. I even enjoyed the Animus stuff having no prior knowledge of it. The mix of historical accuracy (there abouts) with those crazy missions really worked for me and I loved exploring in the hope I’d stumble across something else weird to uncover.

So, does this expand on that with all the Greek mythology?

I probably won’t pick it up yet with RDR2 around the corner, but I’ll definitely stick it on the list as a Christmas game.

Took one look at the intentional gimping of the game to make it more grindy for microtransactions and I'm hard out.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

23 minutes ago, Dave White said:

the exploration mode is a touch of genius, the last game as great as it was was like joining the dots, the places loot and interesting encounters ive had by exploring have been brilliant.

GOTY so far for me 

I think the exploration mode works great. It still gives you the general direction of things but only if you search correctly with Ikaros. Then, when you are actually searching for something in the area you have to locate it by exploring. The right amount of difficult. 

In other news, I just wish they used a dynamic UI. I still don't understand why we don't have this option. Customizing the HUD is still hit and miss. 

Biggest issue until now is the fact that an enemy who is even just a level higher can kill you in some hits. It is just silly. I am trying to kill a mercenary, I am almost at his level, but he still kicks my butt if I don't play perfect.

I've sunk a good few hours into this now and I'm really enjoying it. I was a big fan of the more sombre, grounded tone of Origins so there was a small adjustment required coming into this, which is initially a much lighter experience, but things have evened out over time. I've tried out both characters and Kassandra is definitely my favourite, her performance has a lot more nuance to it and feels more appropriate in a wider range of situations. Alexios has some outstanding lines, particularly when being menacing or condescending, but his overall delivery is a lot less consistent.

In terms of gameplay it's very similar to Origins, though I've found it to be a little quicker and more aggressive, possibly due to the increased speed and lack of a shield. In terms of content, however, this game is extraordinarily generous. Not only is the map huge, it's absolutely packed with genuinely interesting places to explore and side missions to pursue. I've been very wary of the comparisons to Witcher 3 and the likes, but this isn't a million miles off and that alone is a stunning achievement for a franchise that felt like it had run its course just a couple of years ago.

To comment on the supposed "gimping" of the game, I've not experienced anything like that at all! I tend to do a lot of side stuff in any RPG so maybe that's why, but for me it feels like a relatively well balanced game when it comes to levelling.

• Upvote 1

This seems to be exactly the way Origins played. If you don't do a lot of side stuff you're going to have a bad time. I quite like running around helping the locals and doing the odd bit of tomb raiding.

I need to get to level 16 so I can unlock explosive arrows. Then I'm going to show some bitches a bad time. Stealth? Fuck that. NOISE.

*Edit* I seem to remember Syndicate being "Stay in this district, doing enough busywork to take over it and then move onto the next. Bored the shite out of me (Despite me liking the setting). Origins and now Odyssey are a welcome change for me.

• Upvote 1

How well does odyssey run on pc?  Got a 1060 graphics card, Intel I7-4790 cpu and 8 gig ram.  Good enough or should I just go and get either an xbox or ps4 to run it on?  Gutted I missed out on that xbox deal on amazon for around £230 as I want to play Tomb Raider as well.

I’ve had a go on this and Its all a bit dull isn’t it? It’s not in the same league as something like F1 2018 that’s 100% certain 

• Downvote 1

20 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Did you not play Assassin's Creed 2 and how it ended with gods, aliens, and time travel communication? 

Funnily enough no.