Hitcher

Assassin's Creed Odyssey

only started this today - but after 120 hours in Red Dead this feels pretty flimsy and fugly.

I loved Origins, but just not feeling the first hour of this one.. Hope it gets better soon, as I have been looking forward to playing it.

28 minutes ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

only started this today - but after 120 hours in Red Dead this feels pretty flimsy and fugly.

I loved Origins, but just not feeling the first hour of this one.. Hope it gets better soon, as I have been looking forward to playing it.

Stick with it, it’s wonderful and as it opens up just gets better and better. Much more fully featured and richer in its interlocking systems than Origins.

There’ll be a parade of people telling you that this is an infinitely better ‘game’ than Red Dead 2 could ever hope to be and in many ways that’s right, but I’m a huge fan of both games and also played this immediately after Rockstar’s latest so I understand where you’re coming from. It inevitably suffers in comparison in terms of the sheer graphical wizardry on display and the fidelity and authenticity of its world, but once you strike out into the waters of the Aegean and run along the white sand shores of its many islands it reveals itself to be a stunning achievement in its own right. Due to its truly enormous size there’s some inevitable repetition but it’s undoubtedly one of the most stunning game worlds ever created and the sheer scale of it is off the charts.

You’re playing as Kassandra, right?

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, pinholestar said:

There’ll be a parade of people telling you that this is an infinitely better ‘game’ than Red Dead 2 could ever hope to be

Nah, the tragedy at the heart of Red Dead 2 is that it could be a much better game: there’s precisely nothing stopping it other than the Housers’ desire to make mildly interactive films with a fully realised virtual set covering tens of square kilometers.

• Upvote 2

I'm surprised how good this is. Odyssey is truly a lovely game and about 5 hours in its by second best AC game after AC2. Anyone wondering of they should pick this up...do it!

I’ve made it past the opening act, and Jesus wept the map is enormous. I really struggled to click with Origins after playing it straight after God of War, but this has clicked faster and harder. It’s continually mind boggling in scale and variety.

with this, DMC5 and Yakuza 0 all on the go at the moment I am pretty much in gaming heaven right now

fuck mercenaries though

"oh you killed a guy? here are two more, capable of crossing the map, on foot, in half the time it takes you. And look, one of them brought a bear to a sword fight. Fuck you for playing!"

:quote:

• Upvote 1

also, didn't everyone here struggle with... the boar?

not me, no sir

Spoiler

the absolute worst part of that fight is getting hit by the big one when it's nowhere near you.

• Upvote 1

I died a couple of times on the boar, due to silly mistakes of my own making.  Otherwise not too bad.  Hero strike and the healing power got me through it.

13 minutes ago, davejm said:

I died a couple of times on the boar, due to silly mistakes of my own making.  Otherwise not too bad.  Hero strike and the healing power got me through it.

I used a big pokey stick.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, SeanR said:

fuck mercenaries though

"oh you killed a guy? here are two more, capable of crossing the map, on foot, in half the time it takes you. And look, one of them brought a bear to a sword fight. Fuck you for playing!"

:quote:

Haha yes I've had a few of those when killing decadent Athenians for the glory of Sparta. All of a sudden I had killed two extra mercenaries for nice rewards :D

I completed the main game and got the Platinum today after 115 hours. I played the game on Easy and on the base PS4. Some thoughts:

- Kassandra is a brilliant character. One of the downsides of UbiSoft games being far too long is that we are never going to get a sequel with her, it would have been great to watch her grow old like Ezio.

- Hero Strike + Death Veil (from the DLC) is massively overpowered and removes most of the difficulty in clearing forts undetected.

- Ship combat is fun for the first time.

- Greece looks amazing.

- It's all very samey. I've still got lots of questions marks dotted around the map because you've seen one bandit camp you've seen them all.

- Combat is fun.

- All of the mercenaries are terrible. There's n infinite number of them which removes any achievement in climbing the ranks and even with the descriptions they have it's hard to care about killing any of them.

- The new max tier for the ship (which you don't need for the trophy) requires to much money and material I cannot see why anyone would bother to do it.

- Selling loot still takes too much time and I didn't care about any of the endless varieties of weapons I got. I played the game using poison dual blades and a sword leveling them up as I went along. Everything else was sold or dismantled.

- The free Ancient Tales of Greece are a nice addition and add some variety to the repeated Cult missions.

- The speed of the horse is obviously determined by how quickly the PS4 can stream the world. I had a few occasions where I'd try to chase after someone but the horse would just trot along as it waited for the streaming to catch up which was annoying.

I enjoyed the game but I think Origins is better. Egypt is much more memorable and the copy and paste locations weren't as obvious as they are in Odyssey and I really enjoyed Bayek's journey in that game. I've still got the DLC to go and I might wait for it all to be released before going back to it. I took a break to play Spider-man after starting Odyssey which I think was a good decision because I can definitely see people getting burned out on the gameplay if you played it constantly.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, ryodi said:

- Kassandra is a brilliant character. One of the downsides of UbiSoft games being far too long is that we are never going to get a sequel with her, it would have been great to watch her grow old like Ezio.

My immediate reaction to Kassandra was this is going to be a DLC or a new game. 

5 hours ago, ryodi said:

I completed the main game and got the Platinum today after 115 hours. I played the game on Easy and on the base PS4. Some thoughts:

- The speed of the horse is obviously determined by how quickly the PS4 can stream the world. I had a few occasions where I'd try to chase after someone but the horse would just trot along as it waited for the streaming to catch up which was annoying.

fucking what!?! I'm on a boneX and thought it was a horse stamina thing.

I don't know for sure but it's what I think it is. For example on one occasion there was a mercenary about 80m away riding a horse away from my location. I starting running towards him and called the horse and when I jumped on the horse and starting riding towards the mercenary the gap remained constant as the horse trotted towards him. Eventually the horse then started to speed up as the world around loaded in and I was able to catch the mercenary. but it's happened a few times to me. 

On ‎12‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 22:17, Dirty Harry Potter said:

Stick with it.  I'm planning a Summer play through on my Pro after finishing it all up on my X.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SeanR said:

fucking what!?! I'm on a boneX and thought it was a horse stamina thing.

It seems to be a console thing. The only time my horsy slows down is in towns.

On 14/04/2019 at 17:46, replicant said:

Stick with it.  I'm planning a Summer play through on my Pro after finishing it all up on my X.

Ok given it 3 hours or so and am much more into it... just got to a ship and feels like its coming together... :)

• Upvote 3

Playing on PS4 Pro anyone else get really bad frame rates at times almost zero causing game to freeze?

It's probably just me but this game is what I would like the next Eldar crolls to be. Oh and does anyone know anyone that cares about the storyline outside the animus? 

Holy crap guys, what a game! 

I'm doing a sidequest that involves collecting something from Spartan forts, and I just spent 20 minutes playing as Sam Fisher silently killing (20-ish) spartans left and right in one of their forts. 

At level 16 I've really started to like Alexios . In the first parts of the game I thought he sounded strange and had no charisma. But after sleeping with an older women because her husband couldn't  satisfy her and sleeping with an older blacksmith because I needed a favor from him, I think this game is bloody awesome. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

Really enjoying this now... but don't get the combo at all. It feels really woolly and random. Just button mashing right now - can some explain how to do it properly?

It's much like dark souls. R1+R1+R1+roll 

Nothing enemies get one shot assassinated or just murdered in a couple of hits.

Harder fights I try to:

Sneak attack while wearing my assassin set up.

Then I'll change to my warrior set.

Activate flames.

Get a couple of hits in.

Parry/dodge/Hero Strike/Or if I'm flush with adrenalin, Overpower Attack.

I'll try to keep one adrenalin bar in case I get mobbed so that I can use Ring of Chaos.

Either that or just lose my shit, nearly die, then try to break line of sight while looking for a cosy bush to hide in. 

1 hour ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

Really enjoying this now... but don't get the combo at all. It feels really woolly and random. Just button mashing right now - can some explain how to do it properly?

Switch to alt control method

• Upvote 2

For those with a widescreen monitor the best place to find updates that support various resolutions is on steam

If you go to your game library and select the game on the right hand side select links, community hub, then on the top of that page select guides, the on the next page popular categories, the lower left box is modding or configuration and that's the one you want. 

Select the one by the nice chap named Grix which is the black bar removal one. He regularly updates this after Ubisoft patch the game and makes the fix not work. 

This game! Damm it’s good.

The choices you make do matter, I enjoyed Origins but this is the better game because of your choices & consequences you have to face.

Story Spoilers below!

Spoiler

Plague has now spread into Athens! Wish I let that family die at the start. Phobie! I reloaded the game again to see if there was anyway I could save her but no. Fucking Cult! I’ll kill them all!

Someone was comparing this to Witcher 3 & at the time I thought no chance this could reach that heights but after playing for 50 hours it is up at that level.

• Upvote 3