Sign in to follow this  
Hitcher

Assassin's Creed Odyssey

4 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

I accidentally shagged a Cultist! I'm genuinely disgusted with myself.

Pretty much everyone's I shagged (other than the Cougar :P) has ended up as part of my crew afterwards.

Must be awkwardd on deck :P

13 hours ago, Talk Show Host said:

I think @Thor answered what I was going to answer. Also, this is not like the Witcher or many other western rpgs. Usually the main quest carries you to the next step without forcing you to sidestep for grind (unless we are talking about jrpgs. :P). 

I am looking forward to continue it after RDR2 and hopefully I will be able to push through if the story is any good. I am planning to only do side quests that involve a story more or less. Can you recommend any other world activities that you have really enjoyed? 

Most side quests involve some bits of story - eg Keos. What they don’t necessarily do is directly tie into your progression into the first of the three main story threads.

(And The Witcher 3 had a very definite levelling cliff edge just before Novigrad.)

8 minutes ago, footle said:

Most side quests involve some bits of story - eg Keos. What they don’t necessarily do is directly tie into your progression into the first of the three main story threads.

(And The Witcher 3 had a very definite levelling cliff edge just before Novigrad.)

Yeah, I'm only planning to do those. 

As for W3, it didn't have that issue. You had to do a previous main quest in order to reach Novigrad. You weren't forced to do side quests or grind bandit camps just to level up. 

This week's patch increases the level cap from 50 to 70 and introduces the inventory transmorg ability whereby you can equip, say, the meanest ugliest metal helmet with high Assassin damage and magic it into a soft cloth hood (or any other headwear you have looted to date).  It (or last week's) also clarifies and makes more visible the bonus accruing for rising up the mercenary ranks - the next one for me will introduce a shipboard carpenter who will upgrade the ship for reduced resources.

Just the one cultist needed now until I can max out my poison blade sneaky build (with Spartan kick side line of course). If I have one complaint about this is that the the number of interesting skills for any build is limited - but then again you have to cater for folk spending far less time levelling up (it really isn't grinding).

Still not getting tired running around debating philosophy with Socrates, meddling with politics and doing my Minotaur "pre-trials".  Such a great game.

• Upvote 1

The new patch added several tiers of upgrades to the ship. I was soooo close to the Platinum and now I need about 10,000 extra wood to get the “fully upgrade the ship” trophy. Really frustrating. 

Finished the main story today. I'm now at 75 hours and there's still things to do, this game is absolutely bonkers big, but i'm still loving it.

Some pictures from this afternoon's session...

20181116171505.thumb.jpg.2f9bf3c76c8dcc7088a26eb02cc9c347.jpg

20181116181706.thumb.jpg.d927c091821c7a0f0438d2f45f5a45fa.jpg

20181116192211.thumb.jpg.8f3cda4070811143a7f227b2d17a7814.jpg

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

The new patch added several tiers of upgrades to the ship. I was soooo close to the Platinum and now I need about 10,000 extra wood to get the “fully upgrade the ship” trophy. Really frustrating. 

That is annoying. The patch has also added a load of new trophies that look related to both the free and paid dlc. I didn't start Origins until the last piece of DLC came out and this game is going to have so much new content over the next few months that I'm contemplating parking it for a while for game with a more finite end point and coming back to it in a few months once everything is in it and I don't risk having to zoom around the map to pick up all new quest markers as they become available. I'm currently 54 hours in at level 41 and still nowhere near the end.

Aw, nuts.

I went back to playing Origins and after polishing that off was going to get back into Odyssey...Hadn't played it since before patch 1.06 (I think). It would appear to have wiped every single save I had.

That said, I love the game so much I'm not too worried about having to start again. 

After my utter disappointment with RDR2 - mainly down to me finding it almost unplayable to control - this remains my game of the year by a huge margin. I think it's fucking magnificent and just pure unalloyed fun

27 minutes ago, JoeK said:

After my utter disappointment with RDR2 - mainly down to me finding it almost unplayable to control - this remains my game of the year by a huge margin. I think it's fucking magnificent and just pure unalloyed fun

That's the thing.  You know perfectly well you are a fat cheeked hamster running along on your exercise wheel growing fatter every session, with food or other treats being thrown at you every so often, you know there is nothing in this gameplay wise that hasn't been done before a thousand times, but,hey,  it doesn't matter.      It just comes together splendidly and I think the historical setting adds considerably to that.  They've thrown out the old mission constraints and modern day stuff, not to mention the absolutely shit combat of the franchise (e.g III), and the open world setting offers a lot more variety of landscape than the single city offerings.  

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

I didn't notice but my ship arrows have been downgraded to pink.  Aesop wasn't Greek for nothing.

It hasn’t downgraded you, it’s added some additional tiers, so you’re no longer top tier (gold). 

48 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

It hasn’t downgraded you, it’s added some additional tiers, so you’re no longer top tier (gold). 

Yeah, bad wording on my part.  Also I think the ship upgrade Aesop analogy is off, since the tortoise wins his race with the hare because the hare takes a nap partway - I was thinking of where you get closer and closer and never reach the destination.  This game feels a bit like that at times.

It definitely does, especially if you're daft enough, like me, to chase the trophies. They've just added not only a bunch more Lost Stories of Greece trophies but also what looks like the set for the first major piece of DLC. Most of these are unobtainable at the moment but you can get the first three Lost Stories - two of them are side quests and one of them is a boss battle. It feels like every time I log in there's even more stuff to do (which I'm not complaining about).

If anyone has run out of content I've just found a mission called The Blind King in UbiSoft Rewards Club for 40 coins. It's not part of the season pass so appears to be more new content.

1 hour ago, Garwoofoo said:

The Blind King was given away as a pre-order bonus, I definitely got it with mine. It's pretty slight.

I ordered from the UbiSoft store and you are correct, it was a pre-order bonus. It's mentioned in my original pre-order email but it looks like they never sent the code to me and I had completely forgotten about it.

Despite having recently bought and loved PSVR, RDR2, Diablo 3, Forza Horizon 4 and a bunch of other shit, I've marathoned the arse out of this today. It's such a bright and breezy and gratifying game. It's not technically right up there with RDR2 but I absolutely love its aesthetic and palette. I reckon this is my favourite AAA game of the year. Fun and rewarding. 

• Upvote 2

Bastard Ubisoft discounting things in their Black Friday sales, but not the Season Pass. They can fuck right off if they think I’m paying more than I did for the game itself!

6 hours ago, Takizawa said:

Yes I was hoping the season pass would show up, too, definitely interested in some more Odyssey.

They’d cannibalise any future gold? edition sales, or early season pass sales, if they start discounting the season pass before they’ve actually released any season pass content.

not quite the same thing as discounting the base game six weeks after launch - which everyone but tomb raider fans expects.

1 hour ago, footle said:

not quite the same thing as discounting the base game six weeks after launch - which everyone but tomb raider fans expects.

:lol: Aye, picked this up in the sale ready for when my hand has healed (if it fucking heals). It was the same price Origins was in last year's 12 days of Christmas sale. 

Hm. I came back to this after an RDR2 break and I just arrived to Athens. I have been doing all the side missions that have a story as well but not much else. Now, I am level 13 and my quest is level 15. There is nothing on my level at the moment though except collecting stuff for crafting, random world things like finding all the caves or naval grind missions which I am not a fan. Every other mission on the board is lvl 15 an up, while the cult assassinations start on lvl 17 if I remember correctly. I can't really continue the main story. Am I forced to just run around looking for quests to do? There are none in Athens.

Demosthenes has given me a mission to assassinate Spartan leaders which makes little sense to me, well, because I am Spartan and Kassandra is really nice generally. But I guess I have to do them anyway in order to get some exp. All the forts around Athens are lvl 16 though, so I can't do them either.

So my only option at the moment is leaving again and going to another island? :huh:

11 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

You can do them. You don't have to do missions exactly at your level. 

Really? Have they changed that? Because until now even one level difference can be frustrating. 

Will try and see. 

Demosthenes mission is one I’ve not completed yet by level 30.

I’m not quite sure how you’ve got there so quickly (to be outlevelled) but I suspect it’s simply a case of ensuring you’ve got some random bounties on the go at all times: even if you’re not focusing on them.

have you tried hunting tombs down to get additional ability points? What kind of map coverage do you have of the areas before athens?

Just now, Talk Show Host said:

Really? Have they changed that? Because until now even one level difference can be frustrating. 

Will try and see. 

You can do them, but you’ll probabky get frustrated. Three levels above is pointless; two is hard; one is fine once you’ve got a sensible build figured out - it’s hard as nails until then though.

have you tried murdering mercenaries, or are they still too hard?