Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Hitcher

Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Recommended Posts

The setting alone makes all the difference to me. Egypt was fine but ancient Greece is just more interesting, both the Mediterranean location and the history.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It took me about a year to finish Witcher 3, this might be close to that, just love exploring the world. Really becoming one of my favourite open world landscapes.

 

Particularly, there is plenty of space which doesn't have anything specific going on in it, so you can just go and a climb that big hillside to see the view without activities cluttering it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Turn on Xbox. There’s a 2 and a half gig update. Fuck that. Let’s just play it anyway. It won’t play without updating. Take the console off line, it still won’t start without an update. Rubbish.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Turn on Xbox. There’s a 2 and a half gig update. Fuck that. Let’s just play it anyway. It won’t play without updating. Take the console off line, it still won’t start without an update. Rubbish.

 

Welcome to modern gaming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, davidcotton said:

Welcome to modern gaming.

 

Well, the Xbox anyway. PS4 version played quite happily without the update. It's not like there are any multiplayer features in the game anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Strafe said:

How do you advance time?

 

10 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

On the PS4 you hold down the touch pad button for a few seconds.

 

Mind = blown :o

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

On the PS4 you hold down the touch pad button for a few seconds. Probably Select on the Xbox controller?

 

Yep. It’s one of the tooltips/hints.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s a stunning, if too busy, world that I’ve seen so far but just falls into the old routine of a series of checklists and grinds with - Kassandra aside who is quite witty - rather generic, 2 dinensional writing. It’s all but impossible to just go and get lost because there is always a camp, a small village, a soldier, a cave, less than 60 seconds away (so far, anyway).

 

As soon as the cheesy Del Boy who buys the vineyard started talking at the start I knew it would be the same. I’ve seen that character, the unreliable friend with crazy criminal schemes who creates plot lines and diversions, many times before. Mostly in ubi games. A poor copy of Roman from GTAIV.

 

Who’d have thought that someone raised on rinsing Mario 3 for months on end, someone who put about 500 hours into goldeneye, would one day complain that there was too much to do in a game that looks as beautiful as this does? I just want to get lost for a bit like I did in BotW.

 

I’ll say this, though, Ubisoft know how to do sunlight.

 

Maybe I’ll go back tomorrow to tick more things off. Maybe I’ll resist.

 

 

  • Empathy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you got off the first island yet? Judging it based on literally the first character from the first quest is a little harsh.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Strafe said:

 It’s all but impossible to just go and get lost because there is always a camp, a small village, a soldier, a cave, less than 60 seconds away (so far, anyway).

 

 

 

This isn't true at all. And that character is basically tutorial guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I gave up on BotW on the Great Plateau because I met that old bloke and I just thought, 'not again, another old person'. I've spoken to loads of old people so it's pretty boring to me. It goes without saying that it was also just too green. No variation. I don't understand the hype. Maybe I'll go back one day but, ah ha ha, maybe, ahem, maybe I just won't...

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Strafe said:

It’s a stunning, if too busy, world that I’ve seen so far but just falls into the old routine of a series of checklists and grinds with - Kassandra aside who is quite witty - rather generic, 2 dinensional writing. It’s all but impossible to just go and get lost because there is always a camp, a small village, a soldier, a cave, less than 60 seconds away (so far, anyway).

 

As soon as the cheesy Del Boy who buys the vineyard started talking at the start I knew it would be the same. I’ve seen that character, the unreliable friend with crazy criminal schemes who creates plot lines and diversions, many times before. Mostly in ubi games. A poor copy of Roman from GTAIV.

 

Who’d have thought that someone raised on rinsing Mario 3 for months on end, someone who put about 500 hours into goldeneye, would one day complain that there was too much to do in a game that looks as beautiful as this does? I just want to get lost for a bit like I did in BotW.

 

I’ll say this, though, Ubisoft know how to do sunlight.

 

Maybe I’ll go back tomorrow to tick more things off. Maybe I’ll resist.

 

 

You haven't even got to the opening sequence yet!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I should point out that I have got the ship and on the mainland and been given the job of destabilising Greece by someone I have spoken to for 3 minutes who, allegedly, is also paranoid about spies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is anyone else getting occasional loading freezes/pauses, especially when using the horse and/or sailing? It's like it can't quite stream the world in quickly enough. I don't get the problem when just pootling around on foot.

 

This is on a PS4 Pro running off an upgraded 2TB internal drive and I never had any problems like this with Origins. I've tried rebuilding the PS4 database but it doesn't seem to have made much difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

EG said it's a small issue on the PS4 Pro, and also the non-pro, and XB1. The XB1X doesn't have the problem because it has more memory. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

Is anyone else getting occasional loading freezes/pauses, especially when using the horse and/or sailing? It's like it can't quite stream the world in quickly enough. I don't get the problem when just pootling around on foot.

 

This is on a PS4 Pro running off an upgraded 2TB internal drive and I never had any problems like this with Origins. I've tried rebuilding the PS4 database but it doesn't seem to have made much difference.

 

Yup, I have had a couple of those from time to time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK. That’s encouraging I guess because it suggests it’s a streaming issue that they can hopefully patch, rather than a hardware problem at my end. Thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the only minor niggle is Ubisoft's insistence of bringing in the modern day stuff. Brief bits though they might be, they're pretty much completely unnecessary. There's enough mystery and cool stuff that I don't need them!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JoeK said:

I think the only minor niggle is Ubisoft's insistence of bringing in the modern day stuff. Brief bits though they might be, they're pretty much completely unnecessary. There's enough mystery and cool stuff that I don't need them!

 

I think the problem is that they're afraid to commit to it these days. The Desmond story in the earlier games was quite an effective framing device and it worked well when it was an integral part of the story. These days the brief flashes of modern day stuff are just a distraction: there's too little of it (and it's pretty bad) rather than too much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent review from Holly Nielsen in the Guardian today. She loves the game, but this stuck out:

 

Quote

You have the option to buy “time-saver packs” that offer you permanent experience or in-game currency boosts to speed things up – but when it sometimes feels like the game is intentionally slowing your progress, this leaves a bitter taste. I started a series of quests at level 29, only to find that as it built to a crescendo, the game suddenly informed me that I should be at level 40 to continue, interrupting a compelling storyline until I’d gone off and spent hours gaining levels. This feels like self-sabotage in an otherwise excellent game.

 

I know it's already been mentioned in this thread, but that is shite. It's fucking insidious. I was teetering on getting this sooner, and reading her review had me wanting it even more. But now ... no. I'll wait until it's in a sale at Christmas/New Year.

 

edit: I get the feeling from her review that she'd actually give it five stars if not for Ubisioft's utter twattishness. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's put me off too, Jim Sterling did a video about it but I didn't post in case it created ire in a thread where everyone is being fairly positive about the game. It's bloody bad though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't hit a point where I am underleveled  yet for any quest - if anything it felt too fast - but I'm not as far in is as that. So I still wonder if this is because of reviewers trying to rush through to hit a deadline. So far it works the exact same way as Witcher 3 in that respect.

 

There's lots of people who want more of the modern day stuff. I Ion't mind how they do it now, must have been a total of about 10-20 minutes of it in Origins, it always feels like an afterthought in the recent games though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, deerokus said:

I haven't hit a point where I am underleveled  yet for any quest - if anything it felt too fast - but I'm not as far in is as that. So I still wonder if this is because of reviewers trying to rush through to hit a deadline. So far it works the exact same way as Witcher 3 in that respect.

 

Yeah I haven't yet felt that anything's been artificially slowed down either. It's just a game where you need to engage with the side content (of which there is loads). You can't just rush straight through the main story quest. But I don't have a problem with that.

 

Maybe it's because I play a lot of MMOs but it feels very similar. You'll maybe hit a point where you're a bit underlevelled but then you need to work out what activities you want to do to get yourself up to the right level for what you want to do. As long as those activities are fun and worthwhile in their own right (and here they absolutely are) then that's just part of the game.

 

For what it's worth I hit the same thing at the end of Origins, found myself a couple of levels short of where I needed to be but then found a whole region full of fun side quests and did those for a bit until I was strong enough to finish the game. Reviews like the above saying "I needed to go off and spend hours gaining levels" really aren't helpful because that suggests the reviewer just walked around in circles killing boars for hours - well I guess you could do that but you're daft if that's how you want to spend your time.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At the same time, and as she rightly points out, it ruins the pace of the storytelling when, just as you're about to find out the conclusion to a cliffhanger, you have to stop and go off and collect 10 aligitor skins for someone, then search for some random NPC's lovable horse called Norma that's gone missing, and then and then and then... until you're at the level where you can continue the story you were actually interested in and cared about. 

 

And Ubisoft are charging people money to skip the side quests. It's not on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JoeK said:

I think the only minor niggle is Ubisoft's insistence of bringing in the modern day stuff. Brief bits though they might be, they're pretty much completely unnecessary. There's enough mystery and cool stuff that I don't need them!

 

You know what, the modern stuff have always bothered me. But not in Origins and Odyssey. The games are so vast that I actually enjoy an in game break... in game.  :unsure: 

 

From time to time. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

 

Yeah I haven't yet felt that anything's been artificially slowed down either. It's just a game where you need to engage with the side content (of which there is loads). You can't just rush straight through the main story quest. But I don't have a problem with that.

 

Maybe it's because I play a lot of MMOs but it feels very similar. You'll maybe hit a point where you're a bit underlevelled but then you need to work out what activities you want to do to get yourself up to the right level for what you want to do. As long as those activities are fun and worthwhile in their own right (and here they absolutely are) then that's just part of the game.

 

For what it's worth I hit the same thing at the end of Origins, found myself a couple of levels short of where I needed to be but then found a whole region full of fun side quests and did those for a bit until I was strong enough to finish the game. Reviews like the above saying "I needed to go off and spend hours gaining levels" really aren't helpful because that suggests the reviewer just walked around in circles killing boars for hours - well I guess you could do that but you're daft if that's how you want to spend your time.

 

No, I have finished Odyssey, and I do think she’s correct, the levelling curve for this game is not quite where it should be. I’ve played hundreds of RPG’s in my time, and when I was playing this I was doing all the side quests I found, but they really do get stretched thin towards the end, and you do start having to grind in a way that suddenly feels intrusive, despite it being quite effortless in the first half of the game. 

 

I think it doesnt help that you’re largely left to your own devices later on, and so while the game mainly guided you towards juicy quest clusters for the first half, there’s much less handholding later on, leading you to spend hours trudging round looking for new things to do. It’s definitely a legitimate criticism, although obviously your mileage may vary. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.