Sign in to follow this  
Hitcher

Assassin's Creed Odyssey

If you've got the cash, I'd be picking up an X over the S every time. Not that I've got any of them at the moment, but as far as I'm aware it's not just the resolution that gets improved. You'll get a definite bump up in performance over the standard one anyway.

• Upvote 2

Just to say, I'm very much enjoying what I've played of this so far (about to finish Megara). It is a gorgeous game, even when 'only' on a PS4 Pro, and while the sun-drenched landscapes and nighttime coastlines are obvious highlights, you can get some striking shots in photo mode from, say, a stormy dusk:

Assassin's Creed Odyssey 1.jpg

Man. This game. After killing rather a lot of Spartans I had a three star bounty. Fuck paying it off so I went to kill the bounty giver. He's in the middle of the town. I go high and drop and overpower bow strike on his face. He dies, bounty wiped. I get a message that he's also a cultist and I should finish the job. I'm on my way down to stick him and it also turns out he's the leader of the area. Instant 5 star bounty. I leg it and go after the bounty giver for that. Same deal. Overpower shot. Wipes the bounty and then I get a two star for collateral. So I trudge off to kill a third bounty giver :)

• Upvote 2

Fantastic - a pig runs amok in the town.

On fire.

He proceeds to set alight quite a lot of poor folk.

The screaming is magnificent.

• Upvote 2

One thing I do wish they could improve is the speed of the menus. I seem to spend a lot of time going in and out of menus and the slow fade as you bring it up and the swoosh as you flip between pages could definitely be snappier. Maybe there are memory or other limitations but even a slight speed increase would really improve the flow of the game.  (Also, sometimes I get an unexpectedly long loading time when simply talking to an NPC for a random quest - possibly while the game's already loading something in the background - but I don't remember that from Origins).  This is on the Pro so maybe the XB1X with its extra memory has an advantage here, I don't know.

Everything else continues to be incredible, though. I'm actually invested in the storyline this time round whereas every other Assassin's Creed game since AC2 has kind of passed me by on that front.

Yes, there's a lot of menu use whicb only increases as the game continues the loading of the map in particular takes a second or two.

This is a real rabbit hole game, stick on for a bit and hours later I'm still playing, doing totally different quests than I had expected. It's Witcher Lite (less lite than Origins) meets Black Flag!

Played about an hour as Alexios, and while it doesn't seem like the most subtle performance as of yet, I do like his voice. He sounds he comes from a 50s/60s Italian sword and sandal film.

That said I'll probably try an hour of Kassandra and see what she's like. What's an extra hour in a game this enormous?

13 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

Everything else continues to be incredible, though. I'm actually invested in the storyline this time round whereas every other Assassin's Creed game since AC2 has kind of passed me by on that front.

Yeah, I'm actually surprised by the story (I'm still very early on) but that may just be because I paid no attention to any pre-release stuff.

The idea I got from E3 trailers is it would be like Syndicate but without the character swapping, running round in the world with your sibling out there.  That reveal was unexpected.

8 minutes ago, The Bag said:

Yeah, I'm actually surprised by the story (I'm still very early on) but that may just be because I paid no attention to any pre-release stuff.

Reveal hidden contents

The idea I got from E3 trailers is it would be like Syndicate but without the character swapping, running round in the world with your sibling out there.  That reveal was unexpected.

I've hit the second story beat and the end of "episode 2", and although it wasn't quite as surprising as that at the end of the tutorial (I've seen a reference to

my characters lineage, though I just assumed it'd be on my mothers side and not a wider issue

) it still hit home. Compared to Origins, it's night and day.

I'm also interested in what would have happened if I'd made the other choice, and what impacts (minor or major) they can throw in down the line: which is all you really want from this kind of thing.

9 minutes ago, Flub said:

I like that chickens will aggro if you go near them.

Well, they've all seen you stick things up pigs' bottoms, so probably understandable.

I have to object to a bounty I got last night. I killed a man and got a bounty. Fair enough. I check the reasons and it said "Murder and deception".

The murder I'll cop to but there was no deceit involved. I literally stood there openly in front of his wife and daughter and stuck my heavy axe in his face. It's not like I was dressed like Zeus.

Fucking cops.

• Upvote 6

The fully upgraded ability to rip someone's shield off them and smack them in the face with it is a godsend given how many of the fuckers are packing shields in this game.

• Upvote 1

Has anyone played Origins recently on 1X? This looks great, but somehow less sharp than I remember Origins being. Like the textures are lower res. I can only find one comment on Reddit about it though.

1 minute ago, Stanley said:

Is this a bit like Breath of The Wild where you can climb everything?

yep

Have to say usually with games like this I lose attention when its rinse and repeat, ive clocked 30 hours on this and not even noticed. Its absolutely magnificent

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Dave White said:

yep

Have to say usually with games like this I lose attention when its rinse and repeat, ive clocked 30 hours on this and not even noticed. Its absolutely magnificent

I watched a video and it looked excellent, I love the freedom of being able to climb everything.

14 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Is this a bit like Breath of The Wild where you can climb everything?

Oh my yes.

• Upvote 1

Just finished this today with 60 hours on the clock, ended at level 49. Didn’t seem to be any end credits, but I’d finished

all the main quest lines, the Pythagoras story and destroyed the cult

, so I think that’s it. 

Mostly really enjoyed it, but it did feel like it would have been better paced with the optional XP boost you can buy. As I didn’t have it, levels 40-49 were suddenly a bit of a grind, and I more or less ran out of side quests that would give me meaningful XP, and all the remaining content needed me to be at least level 47 to even have a chance. 

Not sure I liked the whole world levelling with you thing either, as early on, I could sneak up to people and quickly shiv them, but it got to the point where even taking out useless grunts the same level as me required a strong assassination, and that still wasn’t enough in some cases. It made me feel like less of a badass by the end weirdly. 

Finished at 60 hours! Blimey. I am probably at 60 hours now and am still in the first starting areas. I think this is going to be an Oblivion/Skyrim amount of hours for me, running into the hundreds. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SteveH said:

Finished at 60 hours! Blimey. I am probably at 60 hours now and am still in the first starting areas. I think this is going to be an Oblivion/Skyrim amount of hours for me, running into the hundreds. 

me too man

• Upvote 1

I got jumped by three mercenaries at the same time while on the way from somewhere to somewhere else and proceeded to Spartan Kick all three of them off a cliff edge to their deaths. I set the last one on fire before he went over so his last words as he went over were "I'm on fucking fiiiiirre" followed by a distant crunch. Beautiful.

I've played all the Assassin's Creed games - I'm a huge fan of the series - and this is the best game in the series by miles.

• Upvote 5