rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Goose

Peppermint - Jennifer Garner Action Movie - From the Director of Taken

Not much to it really, suburban mother loses her family, vanishes and returns as an avenging angel, with guns. Not as frenetic as Atomic Blonde but looks a lot better than Proud Mary. I know I sound like a very broke record, but it does appear most of the film is in the trailer.

Peppermint tells the story of young mother Riley North (Garner, Alias) who awakens from a coma after her husband and daughter are killed in a brutal attack on the family. When the system frustratingly shields the murderers from justice, Riley sets out to transform herself from citizen to urban guerilla. Channeling her frustration into personal motivation, she spends years in hiding honing her mind, body and spirit to become an unstoppable force – eluding the underworld, the LAPD and the FBI- as she methodically delivers her personal brand of justice.

Gonna stay away from the trailer if it's spoilerific, but it's about time Jennifer Garner got some decent roles. Loved her in Alias. 

• Upvote 1

I'm really disappointed in the foresight of these films not to have explicitly made them a cinematic universe. Imagine the Taken vs Taken vs Taken va Taken we could be having if all these people had to go up against each other.

• Upvote 3

As a lot of old timers might remember, I was, and still am, totally obsessed with Alias and Jennifer Garner so I am super pumped right now!

• Upvote 5

9 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

I'm really disappointed in the foresight of these films not to have explicitly made them a cinematic universe. Imagine the Taken vs Taken vs Taken va Taken we could be having if all these people had to go up against each other.

I'm still waiting to find out that Atomic Blonde and John Wick are in the same cinematic universe.

3 hours ago, Goose said:

I'm still waiting to find out that Atomic Blonde and John Wick are in the same cinematic universe.

Watched Atomic Blonde again the other day. Fantastic movie. Pretty much enjoy all of David Lietch's films. Being a stuntman/coordinator and director is a fantastic mix of talent.

On ‎01‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 07:52, Laine said:

As a lot of old timers might remember, I was, and still am, totally obsessed with Alias and Jennifer Garner so I am super pumped right now!

Those were the days!

Yes! I watched it as soon as I saw it had come up. It’s not great. Really not great. But obviously Jennifer Garner is very good at kicking ass in it so I enjoyed that aspect of it. If you like Taken etc it’s worth 90 minutes of your time.

My mother’s opinion - I put a stupid update on Facebook saying I was watching it. So my mother also decides to watch it and messaged me saying ‘That was not a very nice film. A mom hunting down the people who killed her family didn’t sound too bad but it was too gory and I watched it behind a pillow’ :mellow:

• Upvote 1

Watched it and enjoyed it. But I'm a sucker for revenge movies. Garner's good at action and always believable. Surprisingly blood thirsty in places.

Highlight for me was...

Spoiler

The shootout in the piñata factory.

Lowlight was...

Spoiler

That we didn't get to see her kill the three guys who actually killed her family, the film instead focusing on her taking the entire gang down. However, she did kill a LOT of scumbags, so it wasn't too much of a problem.

The main baddie looked a little bit like Bennett from Commando. They should hit up for the part if they ever do a remake.

Review from the Movie Watcher's thread 

Peppermint (2018)

When a woman's family is killed by drug dealers and the courts fail her, she takes matters into her own hands.

Jennifer Garner stars as Riley North, a mother whose family are killed as part of a drug syndicate sending a message. After she identifies the killers, they still manage to play the system and end up released without charge. Riley breaks down and vanishes. Five years later she returns to her home town for revenge on everyone who wronged her - be it the dealers, the judge or even a mean soccer mum. Apart from Garner there isn't much of a named cast, and most of the dealers look like generic henchman number one, two and three. It's a fairly run of the mill plot, and the film does nothing we haven't seen plenty of times before. 

Garner certainly looks the part, and she has no issue handling any of the action, be it stalking through a warehouse taking out all and sundry, or torturing someone almost for the hell of it. Her character gets little development - she goes from loving mother to angel of vengeance. The film tries to rope in a couple of homeless kids but generally keeps everyone at arm's length. The action is fairly well shot, and there's a couple of decent enough shoot outs - the aforementioned warehouse sequence and another at the home of a noted dealer. Garner takes a hell of a beating but keeps on going. The main villain is awful, and seems to be cosplaying as Bennett from Commando - the only thing missing was the chainmail jacket. Almost everyone else is fodder, and a late twist is signposted a mile off. 

There are definite signs of heavy editing - and the film jumps around a little in time. It starts in present day with a violent confrontation, then switches to the past, then jumps five years forward to present day. Even before the incident the picture goes out of its way to give Garner a hard time. Her boss makes her work her daughter's birthday, her husband is plotting something and even the queen of the soccer mum's manages to spoil Garner's daughter's party. This theme continues through the trial, her eviction from the family home and so on. The film is setup to justify her actions because of all she has endured. The use of news reports constantly going on about the social media aspect of her revenge is cringe worthy and there's a couple of scenes that are laughable (not helped by Bennett trying to talk tough). There's also far too much flickering of frames. 

That said, Garner puts her heart and soul into the performance. She has almost no sympathy for anyone, shoots fast and fights hard. There's something missing here, and when the action stops, the film falls over. Maybe worth a watch for the main role, but action aside, there's not a great deal to recommend this. 

59 minutes ago, Monkeyboy said:

Watched it and enjoyed it. But I'm a sucker for revenge movies. Garner's good at action and always believable. Surprisingly blood thirsty in places.

Highlight for me was...

Hide contents

The shootout in the piñata factory.

Lowlight was...

Hide contents

That we didn't get to see her kill the three guys who actually killed her family, the film instead focusing on her taking the entire gang down. However, she did kill a LOT of scumbags, so it wasn't too much of a problem.

The main baddie looked a little bit like Bennett from Commando. They should hit up for the part if they ever do a remake.

Spoiler

She kills one in the first ten seconds of the film no?

Just watched on Amazon, rubbish but ok too. As Taken style movies go, yeah not bad. 

1 minute ago, scruffycat said:

Hide contents

She kills one in the first ten seconds of the film no?

Spoiler

You're right, I forgot about that. Probably because the movie does that thing which a lot of modern movies do now: they're so shit scared that an audience is going to lose interest that they dive straight into an action scene with no context or setup. Then they rewind back in time to a moment before that happened. If the movie's story had just been sequential, then it would have been more memorable.

Actually, I like this, it’s lightweight and it doesn’t really have the cast or script to carry it but it’s fun and people get shot in the legs a lot so yeah, why not.

• Upvote 1