IGNORED

Yoku's Island Express

bradigor

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, it's charming and lovely and well made.

Ultimately the character is a bit too slow moving around normally for my liking though. This became more of an issue  for me just now because I'd reached a stage of the game where I needed to get under water  to progress and they've decided to hide that power up a bit too well for a major power up. Got there in the end after much rolling around and map inspection, but it was hardly the most enjoyable bit of gaming I've had this year. Pinballing can get a little frustrating at times too, but then I'm not the world's biggest pinball fan so they've done well to have me enjoying it to the extent I am really. 

Pressing two different buttons to go into and then zoom the map continues to do my head in. 

Not a bad little game though.

So while the swimming itself isn't that great, some exploration opportunities do open up nicely. It does have a lovely compact designed world.

To be honest, I've tended to have been appreciating the overall design and presentation of this rather than the fundamentals of what I'm actually doing.

I'm kind of willing it to finish now. 

26 minutes ago, BadgerFarmer said:

It certainly doesn't go on too long.

Yeah, just finished it. 

After really enjoying doing stuff using pinball early on in the game, that core idea never really progressed and it was the same old requirements for every task. It looked like it was getting a bit more playful right at the end, but then finished.

A 6/10 game dressed in 9/10 charming presentation. Can't be arsed slowcoaching around doing any more stuff in the game.

I've decided to download reduced price Celeste instead :)

I thought it was short and sweet, didn't outstay it's welcome. It maybe didn't develop the pinball as much as it could have (though the 'multiball'  stuff was a good step), but fine for what it was. I do agree about some of the stuff being too obtuse. I tried to deliver a parcel and got told I needed a bee suit. WTF? Maybe I wasn't paying attention to something, but balls to idea of scouring the entirety of the map for some random collectable! So I think I'll call it a day at beating the final boss and not bother with any post game stuff.

4 hours ago, SozzlyJoe said:

I thought it was short and sweet, didn't outstay it's welcome. It maybe didn't develop the pinball as much as it could have (though the 'multiball'  stuff was a good step), but fine for what it was. I do agree about some of the stuff being too obtuse. I tried to deliver a parcel and got told I needed a bee suit. WTF? Maybe I wasn't paying attention to something, but balls to idea of scouring the entirety of the map for some random collectable! So I think I'll call it a day at beating the final boss and not bother with any post game stuff.

What two colours is a bee?

1 hour ago, Mrs Horribleman said:

What two colours is a bee?

OK, this being obviously a clue, I was spurred to Google the answer and it seems to rely on something else I didn't even know you could do, namely

change the balls colour

so I am not disabused of my notion that parts of the game are somewhat obscure!

I still highly recommend it though, the main quest path is doable enough.

• 3 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, memories said:

Fucking hell, how do you get the timing of the slug hoover thing.

Just spent about 40 minutes after getting the hoover trying to get out the area. I've only managed to get a slug once and its doing my nut in.

Was really enjoying it up to then.

Think you hold the button rather than press it, just hold it as you approach one when it goes all slow mo

Yeah as you approach time will slow and then hold one of the triggers to suck it.

The slugs and the leash are a couple of things that needed a bit of tweaking to feel better.

Id love to see a sequel with different sized balls or types (which I thought was being hinted at near the start of the game), and maybe a new move or two like a spin dash to help you get around areas. The table sections could have also used a few more tricks and maybe need a look at sonic spin all and nick some of the better ideas. It really was just a nice game with a couple of tiny rough edges that need a bit of smoothing and then it'd have been up there with Nintendo classics like treasure tracker and box boy.

7 hours ago, bimbam said:

Think you hold the button rather than press it, just hold it as you approach one when it goes all slow mo

What caught me out for a while was that it doesn't register if you start holding the button before it goes slow mo. So don't press too early in anticipation.

2 hours ago, memories said:

Fuck these stupid slugs, I'm managing to get maybe 1 out of 100 if that, I can't get the timing at all, really pissing me off in this.

Why would such a fundamental part of the game be so much of a ballache.

I had no problem with this, you must be doing something wrong.

You get near them, the action slows down, then you press the trigger to collect them.

5 hours ago, peeveen said:

I had no problem with this, you must be doing something wrong.

You get near them, the action slows down, then you press the trigger to collect them.

Yeah this is what I'm doing, or at least what I feel like I'm doing but I guess not. Action slows and I'm holding the trigger but its like they are stuck on with glue.

Just a thought this morning, its not both triggers at the same time is it? 

9 hours ago, memories said:

Fuck these stupid slugs, I'm managing to get maybe 1 out of 100 if that, I can't get the timing at all, really pissing me off in this.

Why would such a fundamental part of the game be so much of a ballache.

Same thing here. Struggling last night to get any because you don’t hoover fast enough so invariably hit them instead.

Well for fuck sake I'm an idiot:(.

Its not bloody the "R" or "L" button to do the hoover thing is it, its bloody "ZR" or "ZL" to do it. That means the times I did get it was more luck than anything else.

@deKay, make sure you aren't doing the same, not that I'm saying you are an idiot but worth checking :P

I didn't have any issues with the slugs either, except when I hit the trigger too early which could be annoying. Like Jolly said you just need to wait until time starts to slow down before holding down the trigger.

I also never sucked up a slug without pressing anything. @deKay are you sure you haven't got a sticky shoulder button causing problems?

3 minutes ago, Mogster said:

I didn't have any issues with the slugs either, except when I hit the trigger too early which could be annoying. Like Jolly said you just need to wait until time starts to slow down before holding down the trigger.

I also never sucked up a slug without pressing anything. @deKay are you sure you haven't got a sticky shoulder button causing problems?

On all 4 joycon and on my pro controller, and only in Yoku? I don't think so.