Yoku's Island Express

bradigor

13 hours ago, Mrs Horribleman said:

Anyone 100% this yet? My wife is struggling with one of the post game things. 

Hide contents

Where is the bee suit? Are there seeds with only one chance to get?

Hint

try experimenting with adding colour to your ball. Remember you can combin up to 2 sprinkles to change how it looks [\spoiler]

2 hours ago, elmo said:

Hint

Reveal hidden contents

try experimenting with adding colour to your ball. Remember you can combin up to 2 sprinkles to change how it looks [\spoiler]

Haha! That's cool. I'll give her the hint.

This sucked me right in last night.

Like any good metroidvania, when you get access to a new area you think '"l'll have a quick look around and then save and quit".

An hour later...

2 hours ago, elmo said:

Hint

Reveal hidden contents

She said 

Spoiler

I knew it had something to do with the bloody sprinkles!

Cheers!!

Finished the main game at 50% and intend to try to work my way round to 100% the world. 

It's a really nice game. So charming and despite me not loving Metroidvania games in had something that made it shine for me. I'm gonna try Hollow Knight next I think. 

Just bought this from GMG which has 25% off right now - https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/yokus-island-express-pc/

Added this to my wishlist the day it came out but was unsure on whether it would be any good. Reading this topic and general impressions online convinced me that I should jump right in and grab it. Not dissapointed, every aspect about it is lovely and once the delayed game title pops up whilst playing I knew I was hooked. 

It definitely needs a more flexible zoom level, playing on a 55 inch tv. Can't imagine what it looks like in handheld mode on the Switch. Great game otherwise though. I saw someone make comparisons to Steamworld Dig 2 somewhere and can see what they're getting at but I much prefer this, if only for the novelty. It works much better than I could have imagined.

I'm pretty sure this my game of the year so far, what a fantastic surprise. The fast travel system could probably be improved as it only really covers the top half of the map and doesn't have very many access points, but that aside it's just been a constant delight. It feels like it could have come from an in-house Nintendo studio.

0D5E0EE4-991B-4EC1-A5D0-3A81BB82C239.thumb.jpeg.418d30bbc22bfbec2d7fc29bf3957336.jpeg

this is driving me mad. It’s all I have to do. Can anyone give me a hint to getting to this wickerling?

EDIT: Never mind! Got it last night and waited for the boy to wake up so we could watch the final ending together. What a wonderful game!

Picked this up in Argos the other day as I'm a sucker for pinball games. It's really charming. Great art style, clever game mechanics and good stage design.

I picked up the Switch version and I'm finding it very hard to put down.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I'm 98% done, and starting to get worried that there has been some glitch that's screwed me over for the 100%.

Can someone give me a clue about the location of this wickerling shown on the map? I've tooted my horn all over that area and found nothing.

I see a slug on one of those explodable thingies down below, but can't see any way to get to it. Doesn't seem related to the location of the icon on the map anyway.

Hay-ulp!

IMG_20180704_131524.jpg

I couldn't figure this one out either, it surely has to be related to the exploding slug underneath but you can't suck it up while going down that chute so I have no idea how you suck it up.

That said, as much as I enjoyed the game I'm not sure if I have the stamina to 100% it. If the fast travel system was quicker and more comprehensive I probably would but as it stands it just takes too long for me to get around post-game to find the mopping up stuff truly enjoyable. Something for a sequel to address.

This appears to have done really badly which is a shame because it's an excellent game. I'm enjoying pottering around post game but is the only way to see your completion level by quitting and looking at the save file?

3 hours ago, Majora said:

I couldn't figure this one out either, it surely has to be related to the exploding slug underneath but you can't suck it up while going down that chute so I have no idea how you suck it up.

I just got it:

Go through the chute and toot like crazy, you'll hit the slug, it explodes, etc

• 3 weeks later...

I'm finding this to be as confusing as hell. I've spent the last few hours wandering around, completely lost and making no progress. Can anyone help me out as all the fun has gone out of this?

On the map I have the following icons:

Spoiler

Find your own Sootlings. - I can't get to this area.

Ask Tunguska about getting some Climbing Gear. - When I talk to him he just talks about something else.

Deliver the Overdue Package to Quinbe. - When I  get to Quinbe the bees kick me out.

Defeat the Screetch. - I can't get to this area.

Find Boon in the Ivory Peaks. - I can't get to this area.

Gather all the pieces of Umbaba's Puzzle. - I haven't bothered to do this as I've not been given any reason to do so and one of the pieces is in a region I can't get to.

And finally:

Spoiler

I can't close the upper chute at the Unobtainium Mine. When I get close to the 'mechanism' a little creature runs out of a hole and butts me out. No explanation is given as to why.

I feel like there's something simple I've missed but as I've only been able to play the game in short bursts I'm struggling for this game to make any sense. Any help would be appreciated.

I can't remember that well, but seeing as no-one else answered - I think the mine chute is the thing to focus on. It's on the main story path, if I remember rightly, and the solution to it is self-contained, in that if you can get there all the things you need to solve it are in your grasp. Sorry I can't be more specific ;-)

5 hours ago, SozzlyJoe said:

I can't remember that well, but seeing as no-one else answered - I think the mine chute is the thing to focus on. It's on the main story path, if I remember rightly, and the solution to it is self-contained, in that if you can get there all the things you need to solve it are in your grasp. Sorry I can't be more specific ;-)

Thanks. I went back to the mine chute and just button spammed for a couple of minutes and eventually the thing that was in my way disappeared briefly and I managed to pass. I have literally no idea what or why it happened but I'm on my way to Ivory Peaks at last.

2 hours ago, DukeOfEarlsfield said:

Thanks. I went back to the mine chute and just button spammed for a couple of minutes and eventually the thing that was in my way disappeared briefly and I managed to pass. I have literally no idea what or why it happened but I'm on my way to Ivory Peaks at last.

If I remember correctly timing the press right causes a bumper to stop the critter in its tracks.

For the overdue package:

You need to trick the bees into thinking you’re one of their own using the couloured sprinkles you’ve been collecting along the way. You may not have the ones you need yet.

I adored the game but the map could definitely have been better.

It's a good game but there's a lot of little design issues and frustrating moments that I think get a look over because there's no punishment for failing.

Don't know if I can be arsed to get all the wickerlings - is it worth it?

• 5 weeks later...