IGNORED

Yoku's Island Express

bradigor

22 hours ago, JPickford said:

It works about 1 in 20 times for me.   I hold the button but the slug still explodes.  Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.  I got past the bit where I was stuck but there's loads more places where you have to do the same thing.

It took me a bit to figure it out. It doesn’t suck them up if you press the trigger button too early. You have to wait till you’re  pretty close then it works like a charm. There is plenty more of it in the game and some added mechanics that are similar so you’ll need to get used to it 

Decent wee fluff piece on Waypoint makes it sound pretty great: 

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/pav35n/yokus-island-express-is-metroid-plus-pinball-and-its-sooooooooooo-good?utm_source=wpfbus

Definitely hope to get round to playing it at some point soon. It’d be nice to see its sales pick up in light of its good press and word of mouth. (I realise I’m part of the problem).

On 01/06/2018 at 12:12, JPickford said:

It works about 1 in 20 times for me.   I hold the button but the slug still explodes.  Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.  I got past the bit where I was stuck but there's loads more places where you have to do the same thing.

You need to hold down the button after the slow down animation starts, not before it. Had me a bit confused at first as well.

Anyway, just played all the way up to Spina in one sitting and I really like this. It can be frustrating in places, but that’s pinball for you. It feels wonderfully original. 

On 01/06/2018 at 10:59, NickC said:

How hard is it?

On 01/06/2018 at 11:18, cohen205 said:

Any idea on length?

tenor.gif?itemid=5515606

This does look great, these sort of rllmuk recommendations are usually games that I end up loving :)

I’m really enjoying thus but finding where to go (or rather how to get there) can be a tad frustrating as the travel across the world isn’t exactly fast to try a few different ideas (although the fast travel helps a bit). 

The map markers appear to be bugged which is making end-game clean up a bit tricky. When I reload the game, some of the mailboxes I know I've used show on the map as being unused, chests I know I've opened show as unopened, even some save point flowers show as closed bulbs as though I haven't rolled past them. It's a bit annoying travelling all across the map to an unopened chest only to find I've already raided it.

11 hours ago, Hitcher said:

Finally worked it out - there was a damn locked jump switch near the top of the map that I'd somehow missed. 

Hahaha. There’s a ton of moments like that in this game. I spent ages trying to get a seemingly inaccessible key. I thought I tried everything.

I think I still have a dent in my forehead from slapping it so hard when I worked it out.

On 03/06/2018 at 16:59, Hitcher said:

Played about 2 hours yesterday before giving up after needing to get to a seemingly inaccessible area. Not worth more than the £9 I paid for it put it that way.

What region has it for £9? Ta. 

9 minutes ago, psycho_fox said:

What region has it for £9? Ta. 

I think maybe Hitcher used eShop coins to bring the price down because the cheapest I could find it was around £12 (Norway) and that was with the 10% preorder discount. More than got my money's worth all the same.

10 minutes ago, ann coulter said:

I think maybe Hitcher used eShop coins to bring the price down because the cheapest I could find it was around £12 (Norway) and that was with the 10% preorder discount. More than got my money's worth all the same.

Ah right, thanks. Will check Norway when I'm home.

Started playing this last night, good stuff. There have been a few platforms that have tried to incorporate pinball but this is looking to be the best yet. I agree with the map criticism, its not that helpful and can be frustrating when you get lost. Thankfully it looks and sounds lovely so I keep trying.