PlayStation Plus for June 2018 - Free Black Ops III added

19 hours ago, Timmo said:

What's the blops3 consensus? Does it good a candle to MW1/2?

I tried to play it yesterday after months (years) of playing Titanfall 2. I turned it off after one match. It feels like a shonky prototype knockoff of Titanfall's pilot gameplay. 

I have only ever played CoD for the campaigns, not a fan of online shooters, due to a complete lack of skill, so looking forward to playing through this. Very glad I upgraded my hard drive to a 1GB one though, I have 3 games on there that are over 70GB in size which wouldn't leave much space for other stuff, and I like having a good selection on the machine to play depending on my mood.

1 hour ago, deKay said:

A 1GB hard drive eh? ;)

I'm a chimp. 1TB obviously. I won't go back and edit it, I'll own that one.

EDIT : I think negging @deKay for that comment is very harsh. I'm glad he pointed it out to me, I certainly didn't take any offence.

6 hours ago, BadgerFarmer said:

I think it would a shame to make individual enemies less deadly to accommodate greater numbers. I like that they each pose a threat. Besides imagine this game engine trying to keep up with big numbers - it has a hard enough time with half a dozen characters on screen.

The cover/overwatch thing never seemed strange to me. If the enemy spots you they take cover. If you've got overwatch on you can get a shot at them. Your special move balances theirs. Then on your turn you have to think up plans to get them rather than just mowing them down as they stand in the open. Not sure how else it could work.

You'd probably like the new zombie type enemies in the DLC.

So there's a thing - making gameplay concessions because of the engine? That's not something that I agree with.

The overwatch thing is classic xcom of course. What I dislike is that aspect of the enemy moving, then going into "scramble mode" which is an extra move.

Also if you happen to spot "placed" enemies and then they scramble. It's not very organic and usually they seem to be behind your target building.

I understand the overall mechanics of overwatch or similar, and of course there is always another way to do it.

I hope for the next Xcom they innovate a little more, in the right direction.

What a mess Black Ops is. I got Titanfall 2 a couple of months ago and there's not a single thing BO3 does better. I know TF2 came out afterwards but my point is that they should be very different games. Why they think adding fast movement/jumping to Call of Duty is a good idea is beyond me. It's so far from the brilliance of Modern Warfare. MW1/2's biggest issue is that they got too much right, they've been trying to fix what was comprehensively not broken ever since.

The campaign on Black Ops III is dull. It reminds me a bit of Advanced Warfare, in that it looks great, has some very imaginative touches, has a cool cyberpunk vibe, and has absolutely no heft or impact to the shooting. It feels like you're popping cardboard targets on a shooting range. It's not bad for free, and I like the environments and the weird little touches like hacking a dying man's brain, or the frozen time tableau training sequence, but fucking hell it's completely inert in terms of excitement.

3 minutes ago, Haribokart said:

It’s also really, really weird, I wasn’t expecting it to be. The last COD I played was 2 at the launch of the Xbox 360. This is VERY different to that :lol:

COD 2 on the 360 was brilliant. I remember having a really bad case of the flu and just lying on the couch playing that non stop. Loved that game.

12 hours ago, K said:

The campaign on Black Ops III is dull. It reminds me a bit of Advanced Warfare, in that it looks great, has some very imaginative touches, has a cool cyberpunk vibe, and has absolutely no heft or impact to the shooting. It feels like you're popping cardboard targets on a shooting range. It's not bad for free, and I like the environments and the weird little touches like hacking a dying man's brain, or the frozen time tableau training sequence, but fucking hell it's completely inert in terms of excitement.

The storyline is utterly incoherent as well. It just drops you into a situation of ‘rescue this guy because things are fucked!’ (Who is this guy, why should I care? Matter of fact, who are all these other squad members?) and if you actually want to be filled in on the world then you have to dig into databases of text at the safehouses - similar to reading the website for Destiny if you wanted a story. Dreadful. 

9 minutes ago, Garibaldi said:

The storyline is utterly incoherent as well. It just drops you into a situation of ‘rescue this guy because things are fucked!’ (Who is this guy, why should I care? Matter of fact, who are all these other squad members?) and if you actually want to be filled in on the world then you have to dig into databases of text at the safehouses - similar to reading the website for Destiny if you wanted a story. Dreadful. 

I don't mind that so much - I quite like the fact that it starts in media res, and you have to pick up details of the world and the characters' relationships from inference and from what you see happening, rather than through being explicitly told. If the shooting was fun it'd be brilliant, but it's so boring - hiding behind a wall waiting for your cyber powers to cool down, blowing up robots one by one, zeroing in on the brain-dead AI soldiers that are just sitting in the open.

Interestingly, most of the trophies for completing campaign levels are listed as 'Ultra rare' - admittedly, the trophies are for completing those levels on hardened or above, but it does indicate 95% of people didn't play beyond the first couple of levels on that setting.

Question on Trials Fusion. This weeks tournaments have some icons on the track. The square block one I know is that uses the DLC, what the hell is the helmet and spanner icon trying to tell me? And why can't I find this info anywhere? I'm getting a bit sick of having to try and figure out how the hell a game works from the internet. (Grumpy old man rant over)

EDIT : Ignore me, I figure it must be for user created tracks

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah the entire thing took me about 6 hours to download and after ten minutes shooting at prescripted enemies with practically zero AI I'd had enough. Tried the multiplayer only to find I'd gone into some kind of time warp back to 2005.

The trippy mind-hack levels are quite cool – particularly the later flashback one with the Inception-style world-bending map – and I like the design of climate change-ravaged Singapore. It feels so incredibly unfriendly to the player though – the loading times are epic, you can’t skip the idents at the start, you have to choose your loadouts with no indication as to what you might actually need, you can’t use suspend/resume without it dropping you back to the main menu without saving, etc. It feels like something you should just be able to pick up and have a quick blast on, but the actual UI and frontend is so unwieldy.

That said, I’m a sucker for an interesting cyberpunk setting and some neat ideas, and it’s certainly got a few of them. I’m not sure whether this is a bug or a feature, but I enjoyed seemingly breaking a level set in a ruined holiday resort by choosing a machine gun with high-penetration bullets, and using the enemy-highlighting tactical view to gun down every enemy through the various flimsy huts and booths they were hiding behind.

It reminds me a bit of Infinite Warfare, in that it feels about six months to a year away from being really good. If they’d had more time to finesse the campaign – there’s a weird mismatch between the sophisticated locations and ideas and the dialogue where people shout things like “My brain has gone wrong!” – and to build on the interesting stuff like the mind-hacking, this could have been quite special.

"It may not be a mission priority, but they are still people, dammit!"

Hmmm. Just playing the first mission, I don't expect the dialogue to get any better. The cheesy writing is at an unreal level. I'd say they did it on purpose, but I'm not convinced. 

"Are you still seeing Rachel?" Not a conversation to be having in the heat of battle

I got fed up of hearing that bloke off the telly say "train go boom" and sacked SP off. 

Multiplayer seems to consist of me as a low level player repeating a loop of spawn-die-repeat. That's probably down to me being rubbish at online games though. 

I've quite enjoyed the multiplayer in Black Ops 3. Someone else commented before that the traversal feels like a prototype of Titanfall 2's, and I'd have to agree with that, but there's something quite satisfying about the basic TDM loop in this; I can see why people get into it.

I choose to believe the ridiculous heavy metal riffs that play out of the DualShock speakers when you level up are intended to be ridiculous. Actually I choose to believe the whole thing is intentionally over-macho and ridiculous - that way I enjoy it a lot more.