rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Thread Owner

2018 FIFA World Cup

1 minute ago, Ork1927 said:

maybe this tournament, but otherwise your frame of reference must be pretty short

Indeed it is. I haven’t really watched in last 12 years or so

Disappointing and if they'd converted chances in the first half....., but little expectation going in and a young, likeable hard working team with a decent guy as manager bodes well for Euro 2020 where Wembley are hosting more games than anywhere else in Europe.

That would be the much fancied Croatia. Population half of London, FIFA ranking below ours.

We should and could have won that easily. But we got the 50-year nosebleed. Always do, always will.

It will never come home. Sorry.

• Downvote 1

This is the second time I've heard a commentator say after the match 'it would be wrong to analyse it now'
YOU'RE A POST MATCH COMMENTATOR!!

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, HarryBizzle said:

Croatia have been good. Not sure what happened to Ingerland after the first half.

I think some of our key players were knackered. Alli, Lingard and Kane were fucked. 

All in all a promising showing, and a bright future. Things to improve on - first touch, composure when in on goal, ironing out that one or two lapses in defence we’ve seen every game. Got away with it up til today.

But man, that first half. We HAVE to become more clinical.

Shame but England should've finished it in the 1st half and from about the 65th minute Croatia were just the better side.

Allez les bleus!

England ultimately poor over the 120 minutes, after a promising first 45. Poor finishing and a shape that gave our players too much to do down the flanks were the main issues. But probably one of the most promising tournaments in a decade. A lot to build on for the Euros. Southgate absolutely seems to be the man to take us forward.

Trippier seems so gutted. He's given more than anyone, I think.

Actually have a bit more respect for England after that. Croatia are a good side and England had their chances, that header off the line will haunt them. 

Won't get as kind a draw again but with the age of their team I'm probably going to get some worries at the Euros. 

That goal was still shocking to concede, though. 

• Upvote 1

Croatia dominated from half time onwards, didn't play great but the better class players told in the end. 

I'd love to see Croatia as world champions. 

Unlucky, lads. It's not much, but I've been gathering up and saving all those lovely wee blue tears cunts have been sending me these past few weeks. I think there's enough to go round. Get it up the lot of you! :lol: 

empathy.jpg

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1
  • Empathy 3

2 minutes ago, Ork1927 said:

Disappointing and if they'd converted chances in the first half....., but little expectation going in and a young, likeable hard working team with a decent guy as manager bodes well for Euro 2020 where Wembley are hosting more games than anywhere else in Europe.

If the press give him and the squad a chance, but we know they won't.

1 minute ago, bradigor said:

But the experts said Croatia would be too tired. Lovren and Vida were super solid from the second half onwards. 

Older, wiser heads prevailed on the pitch.

Southgate got it hopelessly wrong today. Should’ve took Kane off for Vardy, Sterling was their most dangerous player but got pulled. Henderson taken off for Dier who is lucky to be in the squad. And too much reliance on a goalie who had a lucky streak of form because that back three are never going to work against a competent team. 

Anyway, the Final should be good. Croatia are a far better team than England and deserved the victory. Lets hope they can beat France. And as a bonus, no September blaring out from a fucking trumpet. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Calashnikov said:

Unlucky, lads. It's not much, but I've been gathering up and saving all those lovely wee blue tears cunts have been sending me these past few weeks. I think there's enough to go round. Get it up the lot of you! :lol: 

empathy.jpg

:lol: !!

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

Ok it's not coming home, but it IS going to France.

I say we pop over there and nick it.

If you say "Yoink" it's not stealing.

• Upvote 1

empathy.jpg

And congrats to Scotland for another fine showing at the World Cup!

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 2

empathy.jpg

Love it. :lol:

• Upvote 1

Croatia were so much better after half time and England were lucky it stayed at 1-1 at the end of 90 minutes. But this is a good basis to build on for the Euros. 

France are going to win the world cup.

England just looked oddly tired versus the opponents from the second half onwards. As has been said, we lost so many damn chances in the first half to be able to keep our lead. Ah well.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Croatia deserved the result in that performance. I was hoping they'd be more tired after two ET games, but they coped admirably.

There's a huge amount of potential in this England side though. I'm looking forward to Euro 2020 much more now. Credit to Southgate, the team, the backroom staff and the fans. They've exceeded expectations by a mile.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Didn't envy any of youse watching that, that was nerve wracking! 

Honestly, I found out less nerve-wracking to watch than less important games from earlier tournaments. Extra time and penalties against Portugal in 2004, for example; or the Greece qualifier for 2002 - or even just desperately defending the 1-0 lead in the group game against Argentina in 2002.

As I posted after the Colombia game, I was just happy enough for Southgate and the team breaking the penalty curse. That alone vastly exceeded expectations, and anything from then onwards was just a bonus. So I honestly don't think this is as painful as 96, 98, or 2004.

Plus there's still one more match to score more goals and... er... influence the FIFA rankings? :unsure: