IGNORED

Fallout 76 - Prepare Your GaaS Masks

CovisGod

4 hours ago, Bojangle said:

Sounds rad tbh. I mean it's no more "out there" than them putting in all the folklore monsters. It's clearly a mechanical choice to offer higher level content for those that want it.

I suppose what bothers me is that it could signify a huge, jarring shift in the lore. Yes you have these folklore monsters, but they can be justified away by radiation exposure (even though it’s only been twenty years). The Scorch Beasts however, sound like they were freed from their underground captivity, Reign of Fire style, where they existed before the bombs even dropped. 

Could be I’m reading too much into it, but if that really is the explanation then...yikes. 

• 3 months later...

I'm still a little confused as to whether one could play this solo without interacting with other players or not, if there is a rewarding quest system/story to play through or not and so on. Also unless I have the wrong thread it's been 3 months since the last post and it's supposed to be released in 6 or so weeks with betas in the next 3-4. Where's the hype?

Have bethesda announced any new details since June?

Also yes I think Todd Howard said at some point that you can play the game single player. Whether it's rewarding to do so will be a matter of opinion though.

To me the game just doesn't feel like a fallout game. They took Fallout 4, which already had a lot of Fallout's fallouty-ness removed, and used it as theming for a mmo-lite live service shooter with card packs. No ta.

18 minutes ago, Wroth said:

Have bethesda announced any new details since June?

Also yes I think Todd Howard said at some point that you can play the game single player. Whether it's rewarding to do so will be a matter of opinion though.

To me the game just doesn't feel like a fallout game. They took Fallout 4, which already had a lot of Fallout's fallouty-ness removed, and used it as theming for a mmo-lite live service shooter with card packs. No ta.

That's what worried me about it.

It has been a while since I last played an mmo-lite live service shooter so I'm interested to see how it turns out. The building/crafting angle is appealing, and gives you something to do in shorter play sessions. I'm actually playing through Fallout 4 for the first time at the moment so this is coming out at a time of peak Fallout interest for me.

It's only really nerdy reasons that are making me cautious about it - I'm not sure 'lol nukes' is the lesson you're supposed to take from the series, although I guess they do have a rather unfortunate track record in that regard in the main games. Dark Reign style hibernating creatures are also offputting.

5 minutes ago, Garibaldi said:

It’s no coincidence that particular weapon only surfaced when Bethesda took the reins! 

I like how they gave us the entrance to Three Dog's studio, and a weapon to surpass Metal Gear annihilate Three Dog, so close together. They knew what we wanted.

3 hours ago, Spacehost said:

Maybe, but one of the consistently fun weapons is a catapult for throwing nuclear bombs at people, so...

Haha yeah. I've always felt a bit uneasy about the Fat Boy to be honest. I still love the games though; I'm looking forward to this game more and more.

40 minutes ago, Wroth said:

I'm not sure the issue is with whether it's historically accurate or not. More its glorification.

Ah, gotcha. Fallout does tread a very uneasy line between exploring the horrors of nuclear war and general 50s pulp tomfoolery.

I'm arguably Fallouts biggest fan, and I just can't seem to get hyped up for this, maybe it's because it's seemingly taken everything I love about the Fallout series out and left just a Fallout shell. 3 and NV were both very much personal experiences for me and I wouldn't have played them multiplayer even if I had the option to. 

I suppose until more info is available I'm still on the fence (ready to leap off into a Vault if this turns out to be good) 

Another in the "not bothered" vibe. And this coming from someone who Day 1'd Fallout 3/NV/4. Fallout online smells me up a bit and I can't get on board, sadly.

P.S. If it turns out it's absolutely amazing I'll be back here like the sad wrong fool that I am.

20 hours ago, CovisGod said:

I'm arguably Fallouts biggest fan, and I just can't seem to get hyped up for this, maybe it's because it's seemingly taken everything I love about the Fallout series out and left just a Fallout shell. 3 and NV were both very much personal experiences for me and I wouldn't have played them multiplayer even if I had the option to. 

I feel exactly the same way.  No interest in this whatsoever.   I would buy a single player Fallout without a second thought.

Arguably the primary draw for Fallout is the story, along with its interactions with the world and its inhabitants. Take out the inhabitants, remove the story and turn the world into a multiplayer arena and there's honestly no point to having the fallout name on it.

On 05/10/2018 at 14:03, Wroth said:

Arguably the primary draw for Fallout is the story...

I would say that's very arguable. 

The stories in the main arc have always been average, generally speaking (one notable exception which I will get to ...)

I only played 1 and 2 a long time ago and I don't remember much of the details but they more or less fit with my thoughts on the story in 3 and 4. 

But in 3 and 4 the main stories are very generic, tropey sci-fi, just enough narrative hooks to keep you playing along (oh, so you're my son...) but definitely nothing that made the class it as a great game storyline.

It didn't put me off the games in any way, they're still two of my favourite games of all time, but the enjoyment for me was definitely in the setting, the open world, and the side quests. 

The exception is New Vegas, which I think had  more interesting and well executed RPG storyline than anything I'd played before it. And also totally hit the back of the net in terms of giving you the feeling you had choice about how the story would go. I've spend hundreds of hours in New Vegas, finished it 3 or 4 times and still wish I had enough free time to go back and check out what happens if I make other decision.  

Main-line Fallout, although I don't rate the main storylines -  the backstory on the other hand, and the little (and big) stories that get told through side missions or details in the game world - are amazing, and I don't see why they wouldn't work just as well in an online game. 

Anyway, can we get a forum group together to play this at launch (PS4 for me)? Obviously its going to be a buggy mess but I want to see what its like right from the beginning. Haven't actually bought a new game for a long time, and this is the first one I've been excited about for a while. 

Only played Fallout 3 to none-completion, but I'd agree with that sentiment, Fallout has an interesting world setting and lore, the main story isn't super amazing.

You can still stuff those elements into an online game easily enough.

The Star Wars MMO looks like it plays like shit to me, but apparently if you love Star Wars, it's great as a deep dive into that universe. Not saying that Bethesda are planning to deliver something like that for this game, but they certainly could while keeping it online-only.

Yeah I wasn't referring explicitly to the plot, more the richness and detail of the world building. Its history, its characters, and the depth at which you could interact and change it based on your skills and choices.

Have they announced there is no storyline?  I don't see why you can't have a story, there will be missions.  You can play the whole game single player if you wish.

Survival games are very popular these days, if you don't like them maybe you wont like this, if you have never played one then you may be pleasantly surprised.  I am a big fan and have played many including Rust, The Forest and Stranded Deep.  All offer something different.  They are often very chilled out compared to an fps or rpg and you create your own adventures rather than follow a set path, which quite frankly has got very boring.

No matter how MMO players/defenders and publishers/devs like to insist otherwise, playing an MMO solo (even one with a good storyline) is a very different experience compared to playing a proper single-player RPG. The very nature of it being an MMO impacts every facet of design and feel, and *if* you don't care for MMOs (like me) even playing it solo won't make me enjoy it. 

That's why I already know this game isn't for me, despite Bethesda's attempts to draw comparisons with their single player stuff. And even that would mean assuming current Bethesda would produce a good storyline with good character dialogue, which I highly doubt :(

Absolutely. It's all very well playing it as single player, but generally in these MMOs you complete a quest saving someone's cat or something, then the world resets before your eyes and you see the next person queuing up to re-save the cat. Immersion breaking to say the least.

I really don't think it's going to be that sort of game, it's not being sold as a mmo and nor is it being sold as an rpg.  It's a survival game.

It's not going to be for everyone, if you need full on storyline stuff then just walk away, if you enjoy making your own story then maybe it is.

You do know you can completely turn off multiplayer right?

50 minutes ago, SozzlyJoe said:

Absolutely. It's all very well playing it as single player, but generally in these MMOs you complete a quest saving someone's cat or something, then the world resets before your eyes and you see the next person queuing up to re-save the cat. Immersion breaking to say the least.

Exactly one of the main reasons I never got along with any MMO. Sadly, it's not for me. 

2 minutes ago, Cool Ben said:

I really don't think it's going to be that sort of game, it's not being sold as a mmo and nor is it being sold as an rpg.  It's a survival game.

It's not going to be for everyone, if you need full on storyline stuff then just walk away, if you enjoy making your own story then maybe it is.

You do know you can completely turn off multiplayer right?

Fair enough. I think we're both making the same point but from a different angle - it's not going to be for everyone.

2 hours ago, Cool Ben said:

Have they announced there is no storyline? 

They’d never announce that, but certain things have got folk wary as to the depth of any story. Most specifically, there are no human NPCs, all quests are either handed out by a robot or the disembodied voice of the Overseer. It’s regrettably true that a lot of side-quests/main story in Fallout 4 boiled down to either fetch this/kill that, so there won’t be too much difference in that regard, but removing any kind of ‘human’ element will make those limited choices even more apparent. 

Bethesda defended this by saying that they wanted humans in the game to be entirely represented by real people, which sounds good but ignores the number of them who’ll be doing stupid shit for the sake of it. You need a backbone of NPC characters that act like this is all happening, and the stakes are real for them, otherwise the game’s atmosphere becomes distinctly wobbly. That job can’t be done entirely by robot NPCs, IMO. 

Well I have played Rust for hours and there is no storyline or quests in that, you are motivated by trying to survive and then trying to get the best gear and a nice base.  Other games give you a backstory and that's it.

Imagination can be enough, it's just a lot of gamers need to have their hands held. 

I felt that Fallout 4 just didn't really have any direction or challenge,  The whole story was rubbish and it didn't matter what you did or who you helped it would always have the same outcome in the end. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed it, but the whole base building thing was pointless.  Now maybe it will have it's purpose.