rllmuk
CovisGod

Fallout 76 - Prepare Your GaaS Masks

1 hour ago, Mallet said:

The Elder Scrolls Vi is going to be an absolute train wreck isn't it :(

Almost guaranteed, Bethesda have lost any goodwill they had & I won't bother wasting my money on any of their future releases.

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

I'll be too busy playing Cyberpunk 2077, and looking forward to CD Projekt's next game and also to Outer Worlds 2, to be too bothered about Elder Scrolls VI probably turning out bad. Bethesda's completely lost it, and my expectations are zero for their sandbox bugfests.

Only thing of worth they put out nowadays is made by Arkane Studios and I'm really worried that at some point Bethesda will interfere - either by closing them or by forcing them to make GaaS games instead of the high quality sp experiences they're famous for :(

• Upvote 2

48E30DC1-ED94-4F54-9B78-60E722CB3891.thumb.jpeg.84ffe464c8457f31c873e6fd86236811.jpeg

As a side note, I hate it when people justify their spending in relation to how much they spend on coffee. It’s basically a way for idiots who probably pay too much for their coffee to justify spending too much on something else. 

• Upvote 4

Don’t forget anecdotes about how people had to remortgage their house and promise away the virginity of their first born just to afford a copy of a Street Fighter 2 on their 16 bit console of choice.

• Upvote 3

On 24/10/2019 at 12:44, Mallet said:

The Elder Scrolls Vi is going to be an absolute train wreck isn't it :(

It depends. There’s a reason they sell Skyrim every two years, and that’s that no other games really offer what the elder scrolls games do. There’s very few games that offer me a highly populated world full of NPCs which have legitimately different options for play style. Most RPGs with as many NPC characters as Skyrim are very sparsely interactive, and generally only have one play style. There’s no playing Witcher 3 in any style other than as Geralt, and all the story options need to align with what kinds of things he would do. Outside of the story specific NPCs, they’re mostly faceless copy/paste jobs, kinda like a fantasy GTA. And whilst Fallout looks like any other open world post apocalypse with guns, there’s not a lot of first person fantasy RPGs with immersive elements. Most other things like Skyrim are top down and feel totally different to play. Other games that scratch my itch for building lots of characters generally look like Infinity engine games and don’t make me feel like I’m inhabiting that character. Most other games it gets compared to (Witcher etc), are very focused on the story of their central protagonist and don’t offer me the option to create or inhabit my own character.

The coffee analogy is supposed to be in terms of comparing small, impulsive purchases to buying a cup of coffee, not comparing a subscription fee to your entire coffee expenditure for a year. Imagine giving up coffee to pay for your Fallout 76 sub. 

• Upvote 3

On 27/10/2019 at 10:21, Kryptonian said:

I don’t drink coffee so it would be a massive increase in expenditure for me.

I actually justify everything in pints of beer. As I mainly drink in London, it means any subscription service that costs less than a tenner gets an automatic green light, as it's "two less pints of beer a month".

Of course I don't actually drink two less pints of beer a month, so it's not a great method, really. 

They should start making coffee like AAA games. Pay extra to drink your coffee early. Spreadsheets to help you decide which version you should get. The standard edition comes in a flimsy paper cup that will come apart in your hand. The special edition comes with a collectible cardboard ring so you don't burn your hand and the super ultra deluxe edition comes in an actual mug. If you preorder you get a limited edition digestive or rich tea biscuit, depending on your retailer. Season pass holders can expect even more, the roadmap says that sugar for the coffee will come a few weeks after release.

• Upvote 6

Forget worrying about The Elder Scrolls VI, that product is probably scheduled for 2024 or beyond. Worry about Starfield, Bethesda's first original RPG in 25 years.

Well Elder Scrolls comes with a legacy, and thus there's some expectation which can be either met or not met. Starfield will be whatever it will be.

It's like ME: Andromeda and Anthem. Anthem may have been arguably worse, but Andromeda also had the added effect of killing the ME franchise.

Presumably Starfield will be the first glimpse of their next generation engine for the various RPGs going forward. (Next generation engine meaning, horrifyingly brutalised and paper-thin evolution of the Creation engine).

I hope they turn this all around, recent time with the excellent Outer Worlds has only given me a greater hunger for larger scale first person RPGs. Though it's hard to imagine they will be rolling things back towards more varied playstyles rather than the combat, combat, combat approach of something like Fallout 4. 

A theory put forward by Jez Corden of Windows Central as to why Bethesda has pissed away all it's goodwill with gamers due to their 1 Player lives stance of only 18 months ago, to the shit show currently unravelling is they are merely following the directions of the parent company Zenimax who are looking to offload them in the future. However the aims and directions of the parent company are having the reverse effect expected and someone in Bethesda is happily following orders despite knowing full well the calamatous outcome or even making sure it turns out as horribly as possible to ensure they end up bought out at a bargain price.

I actually love Fallout 4, but admit the engine sucks balls. Everything kinda has a dead feel to it. Characters are animated more like plastic action figures than real people.

This is genuinely fantastic, it’s like one of the vault experiments.

The video game Fallout 76 takes place in a dystopian future West Virginia, which corporate greed and nuclear recklessness have reduced into a scorched wasteland. It’s a scrappy survivalist setting, and probably the last place you’d want to flaunt designer outfits.

So naturally, when game company Bethesda introduced a new $100 premium membership that gave subscribers special access to in-game perks, Fallout 76 players declared class war.

Released last November, Fallout 76 is not a new game. But when Bethesda rolled out Fallout 1st last week, some longtime players accused the company of pitting premium members against the proletariat. 

Players who fork out an extra $100 a year will get access to special outfits, infinite item storage, and private servers stocked with their own gear. Unfortunately for the upper crust of this fictional hellscape, Fallout’s non-premium masses say it’s time to eat the rich.

“Fuck you guys, I bought fallout 1st on my own terms and I enjoyed it, but those asshats had to hunt me down, Nuke my camp, and attack me relentlessly,” one Fallout player claimed on Reddit this weekend, shortly after the Fallout 1st program debuted. 

Fallout 1st players are easily identifiable by their icons, their covetable gear, and special moves only available to top-paying members. Even doing one of those special dances is license for a beatdown now, said one player who claimed to have been “beaten up when I decided to do the Mothman emote [a premium-only dance move] in Vault 51. At least 5 -7 people in teddy bear costumes kept punching me.”

Another, luckier player, claimed he avoided a brawl, but was told to leave the non-premium area of the game when he did a premium-only robot dance.

In-game activity is difficult to verify, but other Fallout players say a real-world class divide is spilling into the game.

“People are ganging up on Fallout 1st players in adventure mode and grieving [targeting] anyone with the icon lol,” another Redditor posted this weekend.

“What a shocker,” one Redditor wrote “A game with themes of class struggle and people struggle against a feature that only benefits players with disposable income.”

But premium members aren’t the root of the problem, some players say. Since Fallout 76’s launch last year, players have accused Bethesda of tinkering with the gameplay in an attempt to score more money from people who already bought the game. 

“The only way players can meaningfully rebuild West Virginia, it seems, is by doing the exact same thing as in the pre-apocalypse,” gaming site Polygon wrote of the conflict between the game’s anti-capitalist aesthetic and its relentless pressure on players to buy things. “Sure, you can farm Atomic Points, but these cosmetics come so fast and furious that the only way to get everything you need is to pull out your wallet.”

At least one aggrieved Fallout player actually paid to heckle Bethesda over the premium membership. When he noticed that Bethesda hadn’t purchased the url for Fallout 1st, player David Chapman bought it and launched it as a satirical site selling memberships to “Fallout FUCK YOU 1st.”

“Ever since Fallout 76 launched, we have consistently done nothing to improve and evolve the experience based on your shitty feedback. That’s why we’re excited to launch Fallout FUCK YOU 1st,” a premium service that “includes a host of pointless items and cult bonuses,” the site read.

Players like Chapman accuse Bethesda of looking for quick cash-ins, at the expense of the user experience. But on Reddit, some aggrieved fans are leaning toward full communism.

“If this is what it takes to seed class consciousness I’ll take it,” one wrote.

EAT THE RICH

• Upvote 4