Jamin

Thematic/objective-based 2-player games (under an hour!)

Any recommendations for this category? Been trying to get the g/f into more games and it's been quite hit and miss so far. She has enjoyed Raptor "because you have an objective to do", but has not at all appreciated Carcassonne "it looks pretty but there is no back story and it kind of all feels a bit pointless". Despite this she enjoys Port Royal for the ship theme, and has expressed an interest in Betrayal at House on the Hill which I'll lend from my buddy and research 2 player set-ups. I'm also going to pick up Forbidden Desert, although I'm personally not a huge fan of that (only, I suspect, because I've already played it many many times).

Any other suggestions? Can be a mix of co-op and competitive!

Imperial assault can be played with 2 players vs the app. App only has 1 short campaign at the moment though. There are also a few fan-made solutions for fully co-op play.

27 minutes ago, Jamin said:

Any recommendations for this category? Been trying to get the g/f into more games and it's been quite hit and miss so far. She has enjoyed Raptor "because you have an objective to do", but has not at all appreciated Carcassonne "it looks pretty but there is no back story and it kind of all feels a bit pointless". Despite this she enjoys Port Royal for the ship theme, and has expressed an interest in Betrayal at House on the Hill which I'll lend from my buddy and research 2 player set-ups. I'm also going to pick up Forbidden Desert, although I'm personally not a huge fan of that (only, I suspect, because I've already played it many many times).

Any other suggestions? Can be a mix of co-op and competitive!

Arkham LCG

Flashpoint

Mysterium (Thematic maybe, not great objectively. Never played 2 player so no idea)

• Upvote 1

We've been having a great time with the Harry Potter Hogwarts Battle game. It's great for three and I think would be good with two though it's pretty harsh with four. It's a co-op deck builder and has theme dripping all over the place so you then just have to decide if you like Harry Potter.

• Upvote 1

Terraforming Mars plays well with 2. As does Viticulture, Great Western Trail and Pioneer Days. All of them have plenty of theme that ties with the game play too.

• Upvote 2

Thanks all, some great suggestions. Made a similar topic on BGG and have now got a chunky list of go-to 2p games.

FYI the games that kept coming up were:

Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective

Specter Ops

7 Wonders Duel

Cave vs Cave

But I essentially now have a chunky list and shall be keeping my eye out :) 

As an update to this thread (more for my own reference!) I ended up plumping for Kingdomino as a new which has thankfully gone down extremely well. In fact a little too well, she's beaten me in all 3 games we've played :lol: 

She really didn't like Betrayal at House on the Hill though for whatever reason. I think I've narrowed down a little more why - basically any game over 45 minutes and I've lost her. Carccassone she struggled with because she didn't enjoy the theme or the prettyness of it all (which is half of the pleasure imo). So next games I want to try on her are Patchwork and maybe Azul (although the latter is quite pricey and also a bit concerned it's too similar to Patchwork?). I have also heard good things about the Harry Potter Hogwarts Battle which might be another potential.

Hmm, I shall investigate that!

Likewise any more game suggestions to my (very niche!) set of circumstances are most welcome! As is anyone who might wanna buy Carcassonne Big Box off me :lol: 

Considering your criteria, the first thing that springs to mind is a game called 'The Bloody Inn'. It only takes about 45 mins, has a great theme and is a lot of fun to play. Worth a look!

• Upvote 1

Was in France there and dragged my gf into a board game bar in Le Mans. The 2 lads running the place were super nice and explained the rules for 7 Wonders Duel (instructions were in French). Great wee game and went down a storm with the gf who isn't into games. 

Definitely going to pick up a copy as I reckon it will be one that improves with multiple plays. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Kzo said:

Was in France there and dragged my gf into a board game bar in Le Mans. The 2 lads running the place were super nice and explained the rules for 7 Wonders Duel (instructions were in French). Great wee game and went down a storm with the gf who isn't into games. 

Definitely going to pick up a copy as I reckon it will be one that improves with multiple plays. 

It's bloody great, and the expansion genuinely improves it still further.

• Upvote 2

Add Burgle Bros. to your list. Highly thematic, very entertaining co-operative bank heist game that two players can playthrough in under an hour. Quick setup and put away too. Me and the missus played it for the first time last night. Gonna try Paperback tonight - another game from the same dev, Tim Fowers.

• Upvote 3

Ooh yes great shout. I really want Burgle Bros, heard only positive things from about 5 or 6 people. Only it's price has put me off (£40 ish).

Let us know how you found Paperback!

I bought Mr Jack Pocket last week for us to play but we spent all weekend painting so haven't had a chance to play it yet. She seems super keen on the theme though, I also like that it's quite portable to take on our travels easily enough. Kingdomino is still the winner of this thread so far, she loves it (as long as she goes the pink castle :lol: :facepalm:). I think I've won one game against her so far too, it's a good job my ego is bruised enough as it is, haha.

I got Burgle Bros for £30 from Gameslore, Paperback same price there too.

Paperback was fun, but not as good as BB. Need to play it a bit more, and try it competitively too. It’s not as thematic as Burgle Bros, its novel writing theme is quite tacked on. But as a deck-building, word-making game it is fun and quite tough. And it does suffer quite a lot in the cooperative game from analysis paralysis.