dumpster

Is your local cinema terrible?

So I saw Ghost Stories the other week and the bottom left of the screen had a reflection from the green exit sign that was about 1/8th of the screen across and the same up in the bottom left corner.  It was like watching TV on a CRT that someone put a magnet next to. The dark scenes really showed it off, and Ghost Stories is a dark film.

Then I saw Solo the other night and either the director has made a dark movie or the projectionist was doing something wrong.  There's a Roger Ebert article from a while back where he says that cinema projectionists forget to change the 3D bulb back to 2D and this can leave you with a dark image, but the trouble is you have no frame of reference because you can't see the film in another cinema to compare without buying another ticket.  I blame the cinema, because I can't believe they'd make a film that dark intentionally.

Then you have the "pay extra for a comfy seat" policy ( I have comfy seat at home and TV that has a good brightness control, cheers) and my Fanta was £3.89.  There's a special deal where you can get a hotdog, drink and small popcorn for ONLY TEN POUNDS, and I start to wonder why I bother with the cinema at all.  Is your local cinema any good?

• Upvote 3

I go to Screen on the Green which is lovely but expensive. Everyone is well-behaved though, so I take it as a trade-off between that or sitting in the Vue down the road with people texting and talking during the film.

My local Empire is fine. Very few twattish customers, good sound and picture, and cheap tickets on a Tuesday and Wednesday. 

The only problem is an occasional shortage of parking, but that’s at absolute peak times. 

The cinema is Woking is a fucking hole. The seats are terrible (and basically laid out flat).  It's not often I wish ill on a business but there are so many things obviously wrong with it it, that it deserves to go out of business.

When a Vue cinema in Staines is a better option, you know it's poor.

• Empathy 1

My local cinema is lovely in so many ways - wide reclining seats, bags of leg room, quality picture/sound, decent (if expensive) food - except for the film selection. If there are three good and three bad films released on a Friday, you can guarantee that they'll be showing all the lowest-common-denominator rubbish. If you're lucky, they'll get a print of one of the good ones a couple of weeks late and show it for about two nights. They do have the odd mystery screening which is a nice idea, but they never seem to bother advertising it, so unless you're checking the website every day you'll probably miss it. 

Main Cineworld in Glasgow is fine, the newer one at a big shopping centre is alright but the screens are a bit on the small side. They own some other locations around the city including a white elephant IMAX. I haven't been to the Odeon in years. 

GFT is brilliant. Lovely art deco main cinema, good beer, great selection of films, they can even project from 70mm. The other main independent in Glasgow, the Grosvenor, is actually owned by an unethical regional chain of crap pubs and clubs. It's a physically nice and comfy small cinema that is sadly owned by people who don't care about films - it feels more like a couple of cinema rooms attached to a pub/club than a cinema proper. It's still pretty good though. At least you can get pished if the film is bad. 

We have a Vue, I really like it but try to go for the first showing of the day, possibly on a working day, to minimise the amount of other people there. We have a Cineworld coming soon and I am looking forward to it. When a film I see good, it's a spectacular experience for me. Occasionally very emotional.

The Vue in Lancaster (think it's where @dumpster is referring to) is pretty shit for things like the reflection on screen and picture quality tbh. Its only £4.99 any time so I have been more often recently than in years but would really resent paying more than that. Can't fathom the armfuls of drinks and snacks people buy. A black coffee normally does me. 

My local vue is very good. Nice seats, decent leg room, great picture quality. Sound could be better, but that's minor. We have an Odeon too, which is ... okay. 

My local vue is pretty poor.. Exit signs shining on the screen, gradient of the seating is a bit low,  isn't dark enough, full of idiots but it's 5mins away and only £5. 

We have a city screen which is amazing but only has 3 screens, doesn't always show what I want to see at a decent time.

Lastly there is an everyman. Not been. Apparently you can sit on a sofa and eat your dinner while watching. Weird. 

My local cinema is this:

curzon-cinema-arts-clevedon.jpg

Which is lovely. The screen isn't very big, the audio isn't very loud, but you can get a beer in a pint glass at the bar and take it in with you. And all the people who work there care about working there.

• Upvote 1

Yeah see that's so much better than my local multiplex who are absolute scum of the earth and insanely stupid. I even write letters to them. Most recently because I'm worried they won't play Incredibles2 because they didn't play Moana/Coco. It's a 12 screen cinema! Oh but fucking Peter Rabbit and Sherlock Gnomes is fine! It's especially stupid because this city is full of animators, in fact the very building in which the cinema is located also shares the biggest animation studio in the city with about 200 animators. 

The response I got was some bullshit about this town being full of older people who prefer going to theater/opera etc. Which is so wrong on so many levels and this is very much a young person's city, older people generally live outside the city. Also older people (by 'old' they mean 30+ I think) are perfect targets for Pixar movies to take the kids etc. 

Drives me mad.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Empathy 1

6 screen art-deco-era Odeon, 10 mins walk away. The Shape of Water was lovely there.

Decent enough but audio volume tends to be too low for my tastes, especially in the smaller screens.

Clientele is ok I suppose although it helps to pick the right film and showing time.

BFI IMAX is 10 mins walk way from my office, so I will go there for the big movies my gf doesn’t want to see, or we go there at weekends if we can be arsed with the c.40 mins travel.

My local one has been a building site for about 10 years now. They're promising to resume work again soon.

25787099682_045b592c4d_b.jpg

The Vue in Westfield (White City) is probably next-nearest and alright though tbh, not cheap but they seem to get the quality right and I've not suffered a screening with annoying patrons yet.

• Upvote 1

I have 2 local, Odeon and Omniplex (a domestic chain). It was just Omniplex until Odeon came along and destroyed it. Omniplex had practically flat floors and was getting a bit decrepit. It shut for about 10 years. They reopened it a couple of years ago after a big refit including seating on a proper slope. Both are fine now. 

I had an ancient Odeon/ABC which was super shitty and had fucked up screens, poor audio and super uncomfortable seats, despite being in gorgeous old buildings. Then this magnificent place opened last year (five minutes walk away from my house) and it’s fucking glorious. My limitless card is now one of my favourite things and we usually go at least once a week. :wub:

large.jpg?1487176123

We don't have one apart from the local Council jobby. The old Robbins cinema shut its doors many moons ago and was never replaced. Until later this year, when a new Odeon is opening up, followed by an Everyman Cinema nearby.

So it usually involves a journey to the Odeon Metro Centre 15 miles or so away. Lovely brand new cinema, but fuck me the prices are insane. Cost me £13.50 to see Deadpool 2 with Premier Seating on a normal 2d showing t'other day. No doubt this will of included the "Blockbuster Surcharge" or whatever they're calling it (Skimming the cream springs to mind).

We have a new Odeon within walking distance in a new small shopping complex. Has all the standard eateries literally within metres too.

Has loads of screens and is always spotless. The seats are good but always get the posher ones for even more legroom.

The prices are very high but using Meerkat Movies on Tuesday or Wednesday (two for the price of one) makes it cheap.

We walk past a modern theatre on the way that screens movies too. Only set foot in it when it becomes my polling station though.

5 hours ago, Brunceling said:

I keep thinking I dreamt it into existence

A6AEF34E-381B-459B-83A0-A80E8E2115A8.jpeg

I think you did, it's probably the perspective of the shot, the blue at the background so it seems you can see through it and the general grand designs look to this photo but it really looks like there is no room for 1 let alone 3 cinema screens.

Our local Vue is alright. Quite often seen films when visiting the parents.  The Cineworld near them has one of those awful stupidly loud sound systems.  My ears hurt for about an hour after leaving the screening.  They have an Everyman near them now too, which given the option is awesome.

We don't have a local cinema. People have been wanting to build one for years but a few holdouts in the local council say it'll ruin the town center. Fellas. I hate to break it to you but the town center turned into a shithole years ago. It's done. There's no fixing it. The out of town infrastructure is much better. Give us our fucking cinema.

The next closest one is a Vue which is actually quite nice. Tickets are less than six quid for 2d and the seats are comfy. 

This one is the nearest one to my flat, and is brilliant if you want a packed screen, is £4.99 all day every day, and is completely independent:

image.png.463c0b3908794d8d3d0ea647c54312d4.png

But my personal favourite at this time of year has to be the rooftop cinema at the Bussey building:

image.thumb.png.e36301ca5cf8c6a15dbbb9b4b6bb97e8.png

• Upvote 6

12 hours ago, Brunceling said:

Living in a small town with no cinema, used to mean an 8 mile schlep to Brighton or Uckfield

And then, a year ago, this 3 screen beauty opened in the town.  Seriously comfortable seating with tons of legroom, local beers, special showings (eg, original Alien, remastered, with a talk from nearby university on current state of space exploration)

I keep thinking I dreamt it into existence

A6AEF34E-381B-459B-83A0-A80E8E2115A8.jpeg

You live in Lewes! I need to visit The Depot.

My nearest cinema is a Cineworld built inside a multistory car park, which is as aesthetically pleasing as it sounds. It shows a decent selection of films though, I saw Killing of a Sacred Deer and The Florida Project there, for example.

For anything else I can usually go to the Duke of Yorks. It’s owned by Picturehouse (who are owned by Cineworld) but they regularly do one off screenings of interesting or cult films and take part in various film festivals. The oldest cinema in continuous use in Britain, apparently.

brighton-duke-of-yorks-cinema-rainy-day-

• Upvote 1

Duke of York is quite sweet and old fashioned. Little bar upstairs. I like it

I used to go to Peckhamplex for years. Main gripe is the ticketing system being same place they sell popcorn. Gets chaotic. Can’t argue with those prices tho 

My local is not only the oldest cinema in Wales (Since 1894, as seen on the front of the building), but possibly the cheapest (tickets are cheap, and the food/drinks/sweets are shop prices rather than stupid cinema prices) too.

ec31e1_f703d2248d8e41c5a92fceefa4237189.

They're currently fighting the local council to stay open, as I suspect the cunts are trying to close it due to pressure from local competitors (Vue in Merthyr I suspect).

• Upvote 2