On 23/03/2019 at 15:27, Spacehost said:

I've finished it and it's absolutely their strongest book since Nemesis Games, and probably between Calaban's War and Leviathan Wakes in the quality stakes.

Just finished it and I would agree with this. Loved it and really interested to see what comes next.

• 4 weeks later...

Just started reading Leviathan Wakes for the book club I attend. That opening Prologue was just wow, especially the way it ended. The first "proper" chapter reminds me of being on board the Wayfarer in Becky Chambers' "Long Way to a Small Angry Planet" 

• 2 weeks later...

For readers of book seven and beyond:

Spoiler

I'm about halfway through Persopolis Rising - 

What's the show going to do!!! 30 years in the future.... Old Holden, Amos... Naomi... :( 

Still enjoying the series and don't have a problem with the time jump in this book, but worry about how the show will deal with it.... if they even go past book six I suppose. That could be a cracking ending to the show.

On 18/05/2019 at 11:00, Danster said:

For readers of book seven and beyond:

Reveal hidden contents

I'm about halfway through Persopolis Rising - 

What's the show going to do!!! 30 years in the future.... Old Holden, Amos... Naomi... :( 

Still enjoying the series and don't have a problem with the time jump in this book, but worry about how the show will deal with it.... if they even go past book six I suppose. That could be a cracking ending to the show.

Book seven:

Spoiler

They needed to make a lot of time pass in order to allow some specific events to happen, which is fine, but I thought it was a bit of a shame they forgot they were writing sci-fi and could have used relativity, or some made up space magic, to get the Roci crew as they were 30 years into the rest of humanity's future.  Having aged all the characters between books, they don't massively explore their middle- to old age, mortality, or anything like that, other than the occasional note about anti-ageing drugs or sore backs & white hair, so all I was left with was feeling like it was a shame we missed 30 years of their lives.

Fucking great book though

Book eight:

Spoiler

It feels like they might be going for a series ending whereby humanity realise the ring-builder killers are an enemy they can't even fathom let alone fight, and have to accept their place in the universe as a minuscule footnote on an infinitesimally large page.  

In Alastair Reynolds' books the terrifying enormity of space is the main antagonist, and it'd be cool if they go for a similar notion to wrap this series up.  Also, you should definitely read Reynolds' Revelation Space and Prefect Dreyfus series of books if you're enjoying this, they scratch a similar itch to the Expanse.

• 2 weeks later...

I dunno, certainly during Book Eight I felt we were seeing some of the weight of

time passing. Characters weren't quite so gung-ho as they'd been in the earlier books.

Book Seven, yes, perhaps.

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished listening to Book eight, don't peek, if you've not read it, it will ruin parts for you.

Spoiler

Bobby!! You fucking badass! Turning to face a fucking Magnatar class battleship, in her power armour! :( What a way to go though.

I actually yelped out when Amos got shot in the head. No! Not Amos. But then... What have they done to him, what is he now? Apart from just being Amos, of course.

Thought it was an excellent book to follow on from seven, the feeling of playing at the foot of the gods was very well portrayed. The absolutely alien responses to the humans prodding. And the labs, and political shenanigans all felt well done.

Not sure I liked Theresa, but she was definitely a fifteen year old! A smart one perhaps, but well written.

Loved that the evil scientist just got taken apart by the high council, a wave of his hand and poof! There goes your chest.

And Avasarala!! :( How could they kill her and Bobby in the same book dammit. I love Bobby. :(

So many great little bits as well as massive set pieces, all culminating in some great space battles.

These really are great stories.

On 24/05/2018 at 20:06, Spacehost said:

I defy anyone to read the end of the second third fourth fifth sixth seventh EIGHTH book and not flip out a bit.

FTFY! :o 

I can't stop thinking about everything that happened in book 8. It's just.... everything! My god, if they get this far in the TV series, it could be something, really something...! When's book 9 out? :(

1 hour ago, Danster said:

I can't stop thinking about everything that happened in book 8. It's just.... everything! My god, if they get this far in the TV series, it could be something, really something...! When's book 9 out? :(

Some time next year according to an AMA they did.

They're so good, every book has been consistently amazing.  I'm not enjoying the TV show quite as much but I can't wait to see how they portray certain things in film.  Primarily three very very large things

Now you've finished I'd thoroughly recommend reading Alastair Reynolds' Revelation Space books if you haven't already, they're similarly brilliant and their scope exponentially increases like the Expanse

On 23/03/2019 at 02:33, gizmo1990 said:

Ah righto, cool. Looking forward to reading it. I enjoyed the last one but think overall the last couple have dipped in quality. Good to hear positives about this. Only one more after it so I’m hoping it sets things up nicely.

In reply to my own post, that absolutely sets things up nicely! A really strong entry in the series. Amazing how they can keep such a consistent quality with only minor dips occasionally. Like the original, Tiamat’s was non stop engaging though, bravo.. Now they’ve just got to finish it all off well!

• 1 month later...

I'm currently up to Cibola Burn and struggling to get into it so far (I'm at chapter 6).

Out of curiosity why are the book titles referencing things not mentioned in the story? I don't recall any Caliban character. Is it just a cryptic reference?

On 24/07/2019 at 13:20, new666uk said:

I'm currently up to Cibola Burn and struggling to get into it so far (I'm at chapter 6).

Out of curiosity why are the book titles referencing things not mentioned in the story? I don't recall any Caliban character. Is it just a cryptic reference?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Just reading Book 8 - not finished yet but needed to vent. 

massive spoilers obvs 

Spoiler

They killed Amos. And really abruptly. Out of nowhere.
I’m absolutely devastated. I don’t think I’ve been this upset at a death in a book since I was like 9 and thorin died. 

edit - fuck

Spoiler

Bobbi as well. Oh man. 

double edit - hmmm

Spoiler

so the whole Amos thing is weird. I think this leads to him dying again next book.

Finished book 8 this afternoon. Loved it!

The end was all a bit too convenient, but I don't mind a little Deus Ex Machina to get Holden off Laconia. Love Elvi being in a position now where she might be able to look into this fucking giant diamond and those zombie kids.

Bobbi's exit was plain fucking badass, and the crew all getting back onto the Roci was just a great bittersweet moment.

Hoping things in the final book end up being super explosive!

• 2 weeks later...

I finished Leviathan Wales yesterday - really enjoyed it and looking forward to the next book, but also wondering when is a good time to start watching the TV show. 

Does the first season go beyond the first book? If so, I think I’ll wait, but if not I’m keen to see how the translated the book to the screen. Any advice?!

36 minutes ago, Bushtopher said:

I finished Leviathan Wales yesterday - really enjoyed it and looking forward to the next book, but also wondering when is a good time to start watching the TV show. 

Does the first season go beyond the first book? If so, I think I’ll wait, but if not I’m keen to see how the translated the book to the screen. Any advice?!

I was going to post something pretty much identical to this! 

Though my copy wasn't set in Wales... ;):P

2 hours ago, Bushtopher said:

2 hours ago, Boothjan said:

I was going to post something pretty much identical to this! 

The first 3 seasons are the first 3 books but they play around a little with the timeline so events take place at the same time rather than spread over the seasons like the books are. Worked well IMHO

But yeah, I'd at least read Caliban's War before starting the show as some of that is in S1.

Beware, you'll probably storm right through the episodes so read Abaddon's Gate ASAP after CW

4 hours ago, Boothjan said:

Oops! 

1 hour ago, Hawklord said:

The first 3 seasons are the first 3 books but they play around a little with the timeline so events take place at the same time rather than spread over the seasons like the books are. Worked well IMHO

But yeah, I'd at least read Caliban's War before starting the show as some of that is in S1.

Beware, you'll probably storm right through the episodes so read Abaddon's Gate ASAP after CW

Really helpful, thanks - think I’ll wait and read the books first to be on the safe side. 

1 hour ago, Hawklord said:

Cheers for this - I've got books 2 and 3 so I'll read them ASAP. I can see me binging the TV series in a matter of days if it's half as good as LW!  

On 24/02/2020 at 09:24, Bushtopher said:

Season 1 and the first 5 episodes of Season 2 are Book 1 (15 episodes)

The rest of Season 2 and the first 6 of Season 3 are Book 2 (14 episodes)

The second half of Season 3 adapts Book 3 (7 episodes)

The whole of season 4 adapts Book 4 (10 episodes)

So you're OK to watch Season 1, but you will definitely want to binge the rest :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

They also said there'll be a final novella tying up some plot threads after Leviathan Falls, and they'll release all the novellas in a collection.

I've not actually read any of them, are they worth it?

2 hours ago, PK said:

I've not actually read any of them, are they worth it?

They're not high literature but they're page turners with some nice characters and an overall positive outlook. Some great moments in them.

I read three in two months.