rllmuk
Bazjam

Too Old To Die Young (Nicolas Winding Refn Amazon show)

Holy shit, episode 9

Spoiler

Where Viggo visits the peado nazi camp with his guns cocked and his eye in was fucking astoundingly gorgeous. The contrast between him lining up his shots against a totally black background Vs the beautifully shot vignettes of his victims, all in slowmo, getting what was coming was beautifully shot. Worth watching it all just to see that. 

This is the best TV since I don't know what.

• Upvote 1

Episode 6 done. I'm doing 1 a night and savouring it as it's just that fucking good. I've loved pretty much everything Refn has done but I think this might be his best, the Cliff Martinez score, the insane mis-en-scene, the cinematography, the lighting, the costumes, the story, the acting, it's all so fucking brilliant! Watching on a good screen in a pitch black room just makes it even more so.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Monkeyboy said:

Just watched episode 8. Some proper fucked up shit. :wub:

What is it with Refn and cool jackets? Yaritza's looks cool as fuck on her.

My wife and I, watching episode 8:

Spoiler

Her: "Look at him sprawled out on that bed, in his little boots. What's she going to do with that whip?"

Me, joking: "Dunno. She'll probably stick it up his bum or something."

Two minutes later

Both: :lol:

16 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

My wife and I, watching episode 8:

Hide contents

Her: "Look at him sprawled out on that bed, in his little boots. What's she going to do with that whip?"

Me, joking: "Dunno. She'll probably stick it up his bum or something."

Two minutes later

Both: :lol:

Spoiler

Aye, as soon as she starts sucking the end of it, I thought yep, I know where that's going!! :lol:

Anyway, all finished now. The final episode was an odd one with it being so short. I think it could have easily been appended to the previous episode. Overall, really enjoyed it. And it's nice to see a TV show where...

Spoiler

There's no last minute saves. When a character's time is up, it's up.

Well after it took me two nights to get through episode 2, man that was a slog, I blazed through episodes 3, 4 & 5 yesterday afternoon, each one better than the last. I'd read several posts in this thread praising episode 5 I was rather looking forward to it and it certainly wasn't what I expected.

Half way through it turning into some weird comedy. I was thinking "Why the hell has he killed one of the brothers and now he's just leaving? Why the hell are the goons chasing after him in a fucking

Nissan Leaf?" Then there was the bizarre "Oh Mandy" collage with a beautiful image of the dead bastard and I realised it was actually meant to be funny. After about six hours of utter humourlessness it was suddenly funny?! Then there was the The Good The Bad & The Ugly homage ("There are two kinds of people in this world, my friend. Those with guns and those who dig. You dig.") to add to the brilliance.

• Upvote 2

I really enjoyed episode 2.

My girlfriend was angry with me because I wouldn’t agree with her it was too slow.

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

Watched episode 8 last night. Wow! Really excited to see where this goes in the last episode + 30 mins, I have some idea but... Man this is so good. 

The whip pegging was great! I love Yaritza

• Upvote 1

Half way through the first episode and this is just absolutely risible nonsense. Or is it a comedy? Some sort of satire of grimdark arthouse movies? I just don't get it. Can someone explain?

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 2

Well I'm struggling to get through it and wondering whether to keep trying or to give up. 

Is it supposed to be funny? Like, a pastiche of arthouse movies? Or is it just a bad arthouse movie? Why did everyone else keep watching in spite of the risible dialogue etc?

I mean, sure, if nobody can help me I will give up but just wondering what everyone else got out of it.

7 hours ago, Tourist said:

Well I'm struggling to get through it and wondering whether to keep trying or to give up. 

Is it supposed to be funny? Like, a pastiche of arthouse movies? Or is it just a bad arthouse movie? Why did everyone else keep watching in spite of the risible dialogue etc?

I mean, sure, if nobody can help me I will give up but just wondering what everyone else got out of it.

Well the first thing is to let go of what it is “supposed to be”, approach it open minded and judge it on its own merits - applicable to any form of art/entertainment for that matter.

I love the languid pace and the tension created by it, the way it throws conventional plotting and character arcs out of the window, genuinely relying on visual storytelling to present its themes instead of the occasional pretty picture in service of a plot. How it dares to go all the way with its bizarreness and doesn’t feel the need to build towards some Epic Payoffs to keep every viewer on board. 

But since you have already decided that it’s a bad arthouse movie and risible nonsense then I don’t expect anyone’s experience will magically change your perspective. 

• Upvote 5

I've fallen asleep three nights in a row during episode 2 of this. :lol: BUT, I am loving it. I'm just knackered. I've always liked glacially slow TV where the characters can really breathe, The Sopranos was great for it, and this is as slow as it gets. There's a tangible atmosphere in every scene and the layers of conflict being gradually added on top of one another in each scene have made this episode so interesting. Can't wait to see where the series goes.

• Upvote 3

Absolute fucking nonsense.

Like being bored to death in a garish strip club while NWR repeatedly slaps you round the eyes with his knob.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

1 hour ago, Benny said:

Absolute fucking nonsense.

Like being bored to death in a garish strip club while NWR repeatedly slaps you round the eyes with his knob.

Yep. I really liked it.

• Upvote 3

Just watched episode 3...superlative stuff once again. I’m really eking it out.

I did have a chuckle during the one-eye ex-FBI man intro...I had a fleeting thought that the guy was a terminator, and the whole thing was about to enjoy the most spectacular pivot.

Would’ve been great to have more, but it works well as a stand alone one off series. Already thinking of watching it all again.

• Upvote 1

After finding his other stuff to be amazing or really not to my taste at all, this is superb. The pace is almost non existent but it looks incredible and at halfway through I’m really engaged in the story.

Ep 5 is incredible.

• Upvote 2

We finished this yesterday and both thought it was outstanding. The only downside is that Amazon 4K appears to suffer from this occasional ‘stutter’ which I always notice when there is motion. Pretty sure it happened on ‘The Boys’ too. The stream quality also dropped at points even though the tv is hard wired to the router and we have 100mb dl. Netflix does not seem to suffer in the same way with its UHD content.

But yeah, this was the best thing NWR has done by quite a stretch for me.

Wow, I need to get back on this. I watched episode 1, enjoyed it and then life got busy and I never returned. I really should as it clearly only gets better.

Watched the first two episodes last night, and while I felt more engaged with the first episode than the second, I'm definitely in. I love the pace and look of it. It's almost kind of aggressively slow at times, with five second pauses between lines of dialogue, yet I was totally drawn in. 

There's this scuzzy atmosphere to it which is horrible but compelling. Every (main) character seems to be a sleazy shitbag, and I'm looking forward to seeing what horrible thing they do next, for some reason.

Also I like that before I started the first episode I thought to myself this is a NWR thing, so how long will there be between pressing play and seeing a long, slow pan over a reflective surface under neon lights?

It was not long.

• Upvote 1

Watched episode 4 last night.

The scene

Spoiler

in the police station where the lieutenant gives a little speech and they all end up chanting "fascism!" 

Wtf :huh::lol:

• Upvote 1