rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
catinthehat

Board game for a 9 year old

Hi all,

Would somebody be able to suggest an interesting board game for a 9 year old?  He's got various versions of Monopoly, Risk and Cluedo, but I was thinking something slightly less mainstream might be interesting.

Any suggestions?

Cheers.

Azul has gone down a storm with my little one (nearly 7) and is just as popular in my game group. 

We’ve also played a lot of Hive Pocket recently and she’s consistently beating me now :(

She’s also a fan of Clank (deckbuilding dungeon delve), Ravage : Dungeons of Plunder (card placement dungeon crawl) and Forbidden Island/Desert (co-op adventure to find treasure with either a sinking island or a shifting desert map).

• Upvote 2

Do they like Star Wars? If so, the X-Wing miniatures game is quite good. However I'd be remiss if I didn't tell you the second edition is going to be released later this year. But it doesn't really invalidate any of the existing stuff, and only really matters if they plan to play in tournaments.

Santorini is a cute little strategy game suitable for kids of that age and adults alike.

Survive: Escape from Atlantis! or Survive: Space Attack! are great fun and let you control monsters to eat other people's pieces.

King of Tokyo is a common recommendation for younger players, I'm not personally a fan but lots of people like it.

• Upvote 1

Kingdomino is much better then Queendomino , which takes kingdomino and adds a bunch of unnecessary mechanics.

My youngest is 9 and as well as some of the games mentioned he likes Machi Koro, Karuba, Fabled Fruit, Rattlebones. Ticket to Ride is easy to teach to kids and Memoir '44 . Never too early to get them into war games! 

Cube Quest

Flick Em Up

Coconuts

Santorini

Zombicide

Sushi Go

Tokaido

Machi Koro

Santorini

Escape The Dark Castle

These have all gone down well with my 10 yr old over the past few years. He's even done ok at Gloomhaven but it's just that bit too long for his attention span.

I'd also recommend Escape The Room puzzle games, though they're one and done. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Danster said:

Avoid this for a nine years old. They'd cope just fine with the full game. This is really good for 6+ though, really simplifies the game down to its core. I wouldn't want to play the junior version too much.

Agreed. My (just) ten year old has been playing (and loving) Ticket to Ride for at least 12 months. 

She also likes Exploding Kittens and Tsuro

• Upvote 1

I came in here to say "Ticket to Ride", but with that gone I'd recommend Century (Golem edition is particularly bright and pretty), Sheriff of Nottingham is great for all ages too (bluffing game which is just a "fun" not-so-serious game). 

• Upvote 1

Yes, Sheriff of Nottingham is great, but the end of game scoring can be a pain. There is an iOS, and I assume Android, app that helps with that tremendously though.

Most of my suggestions have already been made, so I’ll go with Jungle Speed.

• Upvote 1

Thanks again everybody for the suggestions. We went with Forbidden Island in the end and it’s gone down an absolute storm. 

Added a whole bunch of others to the list as well for future purchases. 

• Upvote 3

The good thing with FI is you can move onto Desert for a change and it's also the basics of Pandemic in there too. There's a new one in the series due later this year too Forbidden Sky - enjoy :)