grounded_dreams

H1Z1 - console version - Open Beta starts 22nd May

H1Z1 is finally launching on the PS4 in Open Beta from this Tuesday (22nd May). From midnight (12AM) on the 22nd, we can pre-download H1Z1 from the Store, then the servers unlock at 5pm BST. Not sure on the download size.

FAQ
Do I need a key to access Open Beta?
No key required! H1Z1 will be free to play on PlayStation 4 (with optional purchases available).

Will there be a wipe between Closed Beta and Open Beta?
Yes, all character progress and levels will be reset between Closed and Open Beta.

What modes will be available during Open Beta?
Combat Training, Solos, Duos, and Fives will all be available to play starting with Open Beta launch on Tuesday, May 22.

Are there scheduled/set times for Open Beta play like there were during Closed Beta?
Nope! All servers and modes will be unlocked for play all day starting with Open Beta (with the exception of any maintenance or updates).

Can I play with my PC friends/will my PC items transfer over?
H1Z1 on PS4 was built specifically with console in mind and has some unique differences from the PC version, so cross-play and item transfers are not supported.

Can I play with a mouse and keyboard on PS4?
Mouse and keyboard are not supported during gameplay (you can use them to type in text fields when prompted).

Do I need PlayStation Plus in order to play online?
Nope! PS Plus is not required in order to play online.

Interview with Tony Morton, Lead Systems and Combat Engineer for Daybreak Games, discussing how they brought the game over to the console:

Eurogamer with a Lets Play:

Another interview and gameplay discussion with Tony Morton from Daybreak Games

• Upvote 1

I watched the eurogamer preview earlier and thought it looked excellent. Will it do well on PS4? I think PUBGs absence means with only Fortnite there probably is room for a different sort of battle royale game. 

From what I saw it looked way better than PUBG in terms of performance though but hard to tell as I’ve only played it on original xbox one. 

Can you go prone in this? One of my favourite things to do in PUBG is to hide in the foliage and wait for the right moment to strike!

H1Z1 looks good from what I've seen so far! Hopefully a welcome addition to the PS4 library!

Servers shit the bed last night but they’ve put more resource on. 200k concurrent players apparently so not bad for a launch. 

Managed to get in this morning, a few menu bugs with regard to character customisation but not game breaking. Feels like a simpler PUBG when playing, I imagine they’ll be adding a lot to it. Feels nice to play after a quick go. 

Yeah it was ok from the 3 or 4 rounds I played.

Few things I don't really like - changing weapons, not really able to choose at the start where on the map you go, the lack of time between the circle closing and the colour palette. They really need to add a bit more colour to the game, hopefully that will come in time!

Spent half an hour in the training mode, then had two 2 kill top 20 games. This is really good. It's so quick to jump into games, smooth as hell (not surprising considering the visuals but they do the job) and really does feel like the punchy and arcadey gunplay of that other game in a more gritty pubg-like world. I can see this doing pretty well cos it nails the whole BR thing on a console with no alternative to the saccharine buildathon bemusing success that is Fartshite.

I like it, however I would like to change a few things:

• Insta-kill on duo/squad games - I like the 'down but not out' and able to revive. An instant kill means instant punishment, which is kind of ok but I like the whole revive/recover dynamic in team play.
  • Ability to understand what ammo types go with what guns - quite hard when you're collecting ammo and wonder if you got the correct stuff. Also ability to drop ammo for guns you don't have.
  • Able to drop medi kits and bandages to teammates. 
  • Better visibility of the map and directions of movement/identification of yourself vs teammates - when the circle gets close it's quite hard to figure out if you're in it or not.
  • Not hugely keen on the coloured outline. Very good in that you can see teammates and helps avoid team kills but does ruin the aesthetic slightly.
  • Being able to unequip items of gear - do I have to wear a hat??

Hardly deal breakers but I would like the first bit changed.

Had a blast playing this today. My only issue is the speed of the final shrinks. They happen so fast the top ten feels a bit of a mess, with no time to do anything except keep mobile cos you have 9 gunfights going and 5 cars circling a playzone the size of a cricket green.

13 minutes ago, Gizamaluke said:

H1Z1_10-Million_Infographic_FinalNumbers

PUBG on Xbox took 4 months to get to 5 million!! :o

Those are the figures from the open beta which was free. Was pubg free in its open beta?

10 minutes ago, Gizamaluke said:

It perhaps should have been. It would have got a lot more goodwill.

so it wasn't.

Ok well that might explain why H1Z1 got 10 million players in open beta month 1. It was free.

12 minutes ago, Gizamaluke said:

I've had a great time with it. 60fps, much better UI for controllers, decent map, less camping more action. It's alright!

Aye sorry crap is maybe a bit harsh - it's just a bit rough is all. The end game needs tweaked and I'd love to shoot properly in third person mode. Would love to be able to look around my character too without moving.

42 minutes ago, Gizamaluke said:

A graveyard pretty much.

9,897 online now

10,270 peak today

151,239 all-time peak

Far from a graveyard then. 

I think this is pretty ace on PS4. Next patch should be out soon although they’ve had a few troubles, adding DBNO states and aim acceleration. 

I'd rather see the original Survival game on PS4. I clocked around 200 hours on the PC version of the original H1Z1 and remain among my favourite online experiences ever. 

Been playing this a bit lately, and finally got my first Duos win last night.

Slightly let down by the lack of fanfare to be honest. We were just like... errr. have we won? There was no Fortnite style victory royale splash screen.

But was very nice to get a win!

rise.jpg.8bc47f3e3dfba1fbb99e3d18a8aaebb8.jpg

I think I'm literally the only chump who plays this around here but Season 3 on PS4 has been announced along with a 50 man ffa Death Match mode on 21st Feb.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-02-11-h1z1s-upcoming-free-update-adds-a-new-50-player-ffa-deathmatch-mode

I quite like H1Z1. I don't have to think about it too hard and it's got none of the boggling array of attachments and meta that PUBG has or Apex Legends seems to have. It's a bland looking Fisher Price My First Battle Royale and that's ok by me. The only thing that fucks me off about it is the shotgun and that they put the second season pass on sale only weeks after it came out. That was bullshit.