WTF - New Thundercats series!!!

I really enjoy the new Thundercats cartoon, its been great fun watching it with my nieces. I admit I was brought up with the the 80s Thundercats but this is really funny and I shocked how great the animation is in places.

I do like a lot of the modern cartoons with their irreverent style, but having watched 5 episodes of Roar I have to say that I am finding it quite offensive to legacy of Thundercats! It feels like every decision they have made about the show (art, plots, characterisation, and even the music) has been chosen to deliberately offend fans.

The only thing they have improved on is Snarf. And even then, given the original Snarf is one of the most annoying characters in the history of mankind, it feels like this new improved version has been done just to wind fans up!

1 hour ago, drmick said:

I do like a lot of the modern cartoons with their irreverent style, but having watched 5 episodes of Roar I have to say that I am finding it quite offensive to legacy of Thundercats! It feels like every decision they have made about the show (art, plots, characterisation, and even the music) has been chosen to deliberately offend fans.

The only thing they have improved on is Snarf. And even then, given the original Snarf is one of the most annoying characters in the history of mankind, it feels like this new improved version has been done just to wind fans up!

You should definitely watch the Teen Titans Go crossover.

12 hours ago, monkeydog said:

You should definitely watch the Teen Titans Go crossover.

I did. Those 20-30 seconds of the Titans dressing up to the original theme tune are infinitely better than anything Roar has done!

I can think of one more thing Roar has done better- that there is a bit of a difference between the personalities of Panthro and Tygra.

On 10/04/2020 at 20:58, drmick said:

81oiauykpqL._SL1500_.jpg

Its just a different take altogether, I'm a huge Thundercats fan but I don't find it offensive at all?, I mean its not wiping out the entire history and making it canon. Its just a silly fun kids animation show. Plus I enjoy Roar as it does have throwbacks to the 80s show which is kinda neat for those oldies out there.

42 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Can you get Teen Titans Go and Thundercats Roar on demand legally in the UK? Think my daughter* would love these. 

*me

TTG is available on amazon prime, and shown on Cartoon Network

8 hours ago, John Edward Gammell said:

They're really not. 

I bought it when the DVD boxset was released, my head clouded with childhood memories. 

It was shit. 

Which of the other 80s toy cartoons do you think is better?

4 hours ago, drmick said:

Which of the other 80s toy cartoons do you think is better?

Ulysses 31

Mysterious Cities of Gold

Jayce and the wheeled warriors

Dungeons and Dragons

Real Ghostbusters

He-man*

*Personal bias 

I do enjoy Thundercats the original series, it did have some darker tone episodes than most other 80s cartoons at the time. It was goofy but it I still enjoyed it. M.A.S.K on the other hand isn't that great.

I just caught an episode today. I was hoping to really like this as I like weird animations like this, like Thundercats (but find them unwatchable now) and the action is pretty fluid and great looking. 

But man, it was actually trying to hard. It also had an annoyingly quick speed to it that made it drag rather than clip along. As nice looking as the animation is, the action seems an intrusion to what should be the comedy. The characterisation too light. The balance just isn't there. Not a fan. 

I don't mind the humour as much as I do the animation/art style. Why do the heads and eyes keep changing shape? Why do their arms and hands keep changing size? It looks like each frame was drawn by a different six year old.

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/04/2020 at 23:29, Doctor Shark said:

Or, as Beastboy puts it in the Teen Titans Go crossover: "why's they mouths shaped like beans?" 

My son was watching Teen Titans Go and they started saying how much they were looking forward to Thundercats coming back, because it was their favourite show ever. He had absolutely no idea what they were talking about, but their reaction when it was utter shite was brilliant. Even he said Thundercats looked like it was drawn by a child.

It was pretty good.

I just watched the first episode and I absolutely loved it. I never expected to but it was hilarious. Every character is an idiot and the show ripped the piss out of itself constantly. Glorious!

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/05/2020 at 20:55, Flub said:

I just watched the first episode and I absolutely loved it. I never expected to but it was hilarious. Every character is an idiot and the show ripped the piss out of itself constantly. Glorious!

Just catching up on this on NOW TV.

It’s really good! Loving the animation. 

• 3 months later...