rllmuk
Silent Runner

Killing Eve - BBC Spy thriller, comedy, drama

Yeah, that last ep was fine from a character point of view. Silly like everything else, but there’s no way it was out of the blue - unless that was the only episode you watched, or wanted to make a fuss about something on Twitter I guess.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, barkbat said:

I don't like this categorical labelling of characters whose inner worlds you only have partial access.

If Eve had a fantastic relationship with her husband or whoever and clearly didn't need romance in her life, or if she was giving regular voice overs of her inner conflicts that made no mention of queer feelings, and THEN a lesbian relationship appeared in the final episode, you'd possibly have a point. But the character is shown to be bored and frustrated and have a whole latent psychological life that is triggered by thoughts of female assassins. She is actively seduced by Villanelle in all kinds of ways that makes the sexual side seem organic, and villanelle is presented and cast as someone who is uniquely attractive. There is even a scene with her co-worker in Germany when they discuss adventurous sexual relationships and someone previously shown as vanilla is revealed to have a whole bisexual history. The film keys up the idea of Eve breaking free of all kinds of boundaries and being essentially reborn, to the point where her husband cannot relate to her. The more I think about it, the more wrong you are.

That is a great analysis. The clue is in the title. Though I did find a few of the episodes in both series dull it certainly  had its moments.

4 hours ago, barkbat said:

I don't like this categorical labelling of characters whose inner worlds you only have partial access.

If Eve had a fantastic relationship with her husband or whoever and clearly didn't need romance in her life, or if she was giving regular voice overs of her inner conflicts that made no mention of queer feelings, and THEN a lesbian relationship appeared in the final episode, you'd possibly have a point. But the character is shown to be bored and frustrated and have a whole latent psychological life that is triggered by thoughts of female assassins. She is actively seduced by Villanelle in all kinds of ways that makes the sexual side seem organic, and villanelle is presented and cast as someone who is uniquely attractive. There is even a scene with her co-worker in Germany when they discuss adventurous sexual relationships and someone previously shown as vanilla is revealed to have a whole bisexual history. The film keys up the idea of Eve breaking free of all kinds of boundaries and being essentially reborn, to the point where her husband cannot relate to her. The more I think about it, the more wrong you are.

Cool. I thought it was stupid.

Fine when it was implied, then they made it explicit and ruined it. Now Eve is a mental murderer. A mess.

I'm genuinely disappointed that Samantha Oh has absolutely nothing to do in the second season other than to look frantic. What a waste.

• Downvote 2

Overall I found series 2 lacking in any real drama or peril. After a good opening it lost its way, particularly with character motivation. I still enjoyed some of the costumes, settings and dialogue, but those things alone can't make up for solid plotting and character development.

Anyway, I shouldn't be surprised that series 3 is in production now. I can predict with a high degree of accuracy that this will be dire. Most good telly gets a good couple of series then goes off the boil; for me Killing Eve peaked series 1.

I might have had some hope if better writers we're on board but when you employ a Fear the Walking Dead writer then things look doomed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2019/killing-eve-3

• Upvote 1

On 22/07/2019 at 17:18, Festoon said:

I'm genuinely disappointed that Samantha Oh has absolutely nothing to do in the second season other than to look frantic. What a waste.

I'm not really understanding the criticism to be honest, and don't mean to single anything out, but this is surely wrong. That scene where she sits down with the psychologist (for one example) and he starts asking her questions was very powerful (I thought) and Samantha Sandra Oh delivered it so well.

Perhaps Jodie Comer blinded me to its failings, but I thoroughly enjoyed the second series.

• Upvote 2

Just finished S2. Shite.

S1 started well and ended poorly.

S2 started poorly and ended awfully.

Spoiler

Is she dead then, or are they making more? Hope that’s it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jonamok said:

Just finished S2. Shite.

S1 started well and ended poorly.

S2 started poorly and ended awfully.

Reveal hidden contents

Is she dead then, or are they making more? Hope that’s it.

100% this.